What can I do when I cant complete a cache?

I have 2 caches that I part way through completing the problem is that the CO has not responded to my enquiry, one of the caches involves a possible technical problem and the other one I just need confirmation that I am on the right idea, both are with the same CO and I have been polite, I have waited 3 weeks now, also tried contacting the publisher for confirmation of my coordinates but he wouldnt help.

I would put those caches on your "ignore" list.

A volunteer cache reviewer will not divulge the solution coordinates, or otherwise give hints about, a difficult puzzle cache. Don't bother asking.

A cache owner is under no obligation to give hints or nudges on their puzzle caches, although many choose to do so. Most cache owners WANT their caches to be found.

If the "possible technical problem" is confirmed and is preventing people from solving and/or finding the cache, consider logging a "needs maintenance" log. If there continues to be no response, consider logging a "needs archived" log to bring the cache to a reviewer's attention. Examples of "possible technical problems" that would merit archiving the cache if not fixed by the owner: a website that must be visited returns a 404 error, a travel bug containing the coordinates to the cache has gone missing; a closing/opening mechanism on a tricky container has rusted shut.

I would put those caches on your "ignore" list.

A volunteer cache reviewer will not divulge the solution coordinates, or otherwise give hints about, a difficult puzzle cache. Don't bother asking.

A cache owner is under no obligation to give hints or nudges on their puzzle caches, although many choose to do so. Most cache owners WANT their caches to be found.

If the "possible technical problem" is confirmed and is preventing people from solving and/or finding the cache, consider logging a "needs maintenance" log. If there continues to be no response, consider logging a "needs archived" log to bring the cache to a reviewer's attention. Examples of "possible technical problems" that would merit archiving the cache if not fixed by the owner: a website that must be visited returns a 404 error, a travel bug containing the coordinates to the cache has gone missing; a closing/opening mechanism on a tricky container has rusted shut.

OK thanks, I wasnt asking for the solution, just confirmation of what I had figured, I have been to the area 3 times already and wondered if the cache is missing that was all.

Be sure to log your DNF if you haven't already done so.

If there is a persistent pattern of DNF's at the cache location, that can help a CO or a reviewer when assessing the need for cache maintenance. You can also trade emails with other unsuccessful searchers to compare notes.

Another passing thought, as you say the CO has not responded...

When you send emails through this site, have you checked the little box (under the Message box), "I want to send my email address along with this message"

If you haven't, when the CO receives your email and hits "reply" the email he sends goes into A No Man's Land never to be seen again. He'll believe he's replied; you never get the reply.

MrsB

When you send emails through this site, have you checked the little box (under the Message box), "I want to send my email address along with this message"

If you haven't, when the CO receives your email and hits "reply" the email he sends goes into A No Man's Land never to be seen again. He'll believe he's replied; you never get the reply.

MrsB

Yes, thank you, I am aware of that one, I found out the hard way!

My only thought is that the OP is on holiday, seems a long time though, also if one of my theories is correct then the cache really should have been temp disabled for that reason (maybe I am barking up the wrong tree!)

Edited by Need me glasses

I have 2 caches that I part way through completing the problem is that the CO has not responded to my enquiry, one of the caches involves a possible technical problem and the other one I just need confirmation that I am on the right idea, both are with the same CO and I have been polite, I have waited 3 weeks now, also tried contacting the publisher for confirmation of my coordinates but he wouldnt help.

with all the caches in the UK why bother with a cache owner that will not communicate with you. Just ignore them and move on.

MrsB

+1. I can't believe the number of folks who email me with questions and don't provide an email address to reply to. Very cumbersome to come over here and reply, and you can't include links or images. I know some COs who won't reply period if the sender doesn't provide an email.