Drop off travel bug for first time

KenPCPilot

I dropped off a travel bug while on vacation. when i returned home to log which cache i placed it someone had already picked it up so it does not log the distance from home. anyone know how to go back and enter the first drop off?

Is it this one? If so, something's odd with it. Somehow it got into the possession of the other cacher without any retrieve or grab log. Very strange. Anyway, what you can do is send an email to them and get them to log a note for the cache you dropped it in (backdated to when it was actually in there, so the logs are in the correct order), and they can log a visit for your TB. That should correctly record it's travels and mileage.

Unfortunately.....that's what you run into with TB's.

You can wait a few days and/or send them an e-mail... and you MIGHT get a response back. If not....there's really not much you can do but hope & pray that it shows up in the hands of a responsible geocacher who will log it properly.

I picked up a TB this weekend that I can't log yet until the previous person drops it in a cache. They've had the TB since July 28th. I've emailed them requesting them to drop it into the cache I found it in (I included the GC number). I specifically told them.... "I'm giving you two days to log it".

After that, I'm doing a 'grab from somewhere else'

Personally for me...I hate waiting for other people to log these things. I give them 2 days...and that's it. I like to get these things properly logged and moving/visited as soon as I can. I realize it screws up the mileage.... and in some cases, the TB owners aren't even paying attention or playing the game anymore. The TB I picked up this weekend... the owner hasn't logged on since January and they only have 7 finds. I'll be happy to move it along quickly (versus, visiting it & such).

Edited by Lieblweb

You can wait a few days and/or send them an e-mail... and you MIGHT get a response back. If not....there's really not much you can do but hope & pray that it shows up in the hands of a responsible geocacher who will log it properly.

I picked up a TB this weekend that I can't log yet until the previous person drops it in a cache. They've had the TB since July 28th. I've emailed them requesting them to drop it into the cache I found it in (I included the GC number). I specifically told them.... "I'm giving you two days to log it".

I recently had to do a 'grab from somewhere else' for this exact reason. But when I attempt to drop off the trackable in a new cache log it does not show up in a drop down menu (not listed as a part of my inventory even though it is). Is there something else that I need to do in order to properly log this trackable now? Thank you for any responses.

I recently had to do a 'grab from somewhere else' for this exact reason. But when I attempt to drop off the trackable in a new cache log it does not show up in a drop down menu (not listed as a part of my inventory even though it is). Is there something else that I need to do in order to properly log this trackable now? Thank you for any responses.

I just looked at your profile, and it doesn't show any trackable activity. If you attempted to do a "grab from somewhere else", it didn't complete successfully. You'll have to go back to the trackable page and try the "grab" again.

I just looked at your profile, and it doesn't show any trackable activity. If you attempted to do a "grab from somewhere else", it didn't complete successfully. You'll have to go back to the trackable page and try the "grab" again.

Yes, this worked. Thank you for the help.

I just did my first trackable and it was a horror to get the logging done.

I'm a pretty savvy computer user. I had trouble logging it when I grabbed the TB and now have had trouble logging it where I dropped it.

I want to comment how difficult it is to log these activities.

I would say the site needs to be looked at to streamline the process.

I actually cannot find where I can log a drop off.

When I looked at the log, it says I grabbed it instead of dropped it. But there was not a dropped off option in the pull down menu.

I could use any help I can get with learning this process.

Personally for me...I hate waiting for other people to log these things. I give them 2 days...and that's it. I like to get these things properly logged and moving/visited as soon as I can. I realize it screws up the mileage.... and in some cases, the TB owners aren't even paying attention or playing the game anymore. The TB I picked up this weekend... the owner hasn't logged on since January and they only have 7 finds. I'll be happy to move it along quickly (versus, visiting it & such).

I'm a pretty savvy computer user. I had trouble logging it when I grabbed the TB and now have had trouble logging it where I dropped it.

Since you are pretty computer savvy you obviously saw the list of trackables in your inventory down near the bottom of the page when you made a log entry. On the right side of that list are drop down boxes, one for each trackable, and a choice to have the trackable visit the cache or drop it off. So when you log the cache you can drop the trackable at the same time.

Since you are pretty computer savvy you obviously saw the list of trackables in your inventory down near the bottom of the page when you made a log entry. On the right side of that list are drop down boxes, one for each trackable, and a choice to have the trackable visit the cache or drop it off. So when you log the cache you can drop the trackable at the same time.

...assuming it's already in your inventory. From what they said, I don't think it was.

When I looked at the log, it says I grabbed it instead of dropped it. But there was not a dropped off option in the pull down menu.

I could use any help I can get with learning this process.

I've had a look at the trackable you have: sonjas sonnenschein

The logs show that you retrieved it from the Spring Camporee 2009 cache. That seems fine.

I think it went a bit pear-shaped after that retrieve...

Your next log shows a 'grab' rather than a drop-off. Currently the coin is still showing as being "in your hands".

To do the on-line drop-off you need to

go back to the cache page for where you physically dropped it off,

Under your log on the cache page, click 'Edit log'... This gives you your individual log... Click on the pencil icon above...

Now yu have the whole log available to edit. Underneath the Comments box you'll see the geocoin listed - Select the action 'Dropped Off', then (at the bottom) 'Submit log entry'.

That should drop the geocoin off into that cache's inventory.

MrsB