How do I cache without GSAK

3isamagic#

I have been caching with a Garmin Colorado 300. The only think I HATE is GSAK. I can't bring myself to pay to get rid of the nag screen so I have to wait for it to count down from 600 each click. It takes forever!! Is there a way to load my pq directly to the Colorado?? And as long as I have your attention....how do I delete geocaches from the Colorado???

I thought that I would figure this out by now, but I must be missing something

Thank you so much!!!

Is there a way to load my pq directly to the Colorado??

Yep. Once you have the GPX files from your PQ, you just need to copy them onto the GPS in the [Garmin drive:]\Garmin\GPX folder. No need to run it through additional software.

And as long as I have your attention....how do I delete geocaches from the Colorado???

This is the part where the additional software comes in handy. If you load the caches onto your GPS using the method above, all the caches will be in the one GPX file. You can't delete individual caches from a GPX file using just the GPS. You have a couple of options:

1. Run your PQ again, then load the new result onto your GPS, replacing the old file.

2. Use additional software. GSAK is the most powerful, but you said you don't want to pay for it. EasyGPS is another option, and it's free. It doesn't store the caches in a database like GSAK does, but it does allow you to easily delete caches from a GPX. What you can do is open the GPX right from your GPS, delete the caches you've found, then save the file. You'll still want to re-run your PQ every now and then, though, so you aren't going out with stale data and possibly looking for a cache that may have been disabled or archived.

ugh! it isn't working! Even when I put the pq onto the garmin it is in the form of a GSAK file and when I click on it to unzip, it loads GSAK which of course begins the count to 600.

On your computer, you have your .zip files associated with the GSAK program. You need to associate your zip files with some other program such as EXpressZip or winRAR or whatever program you want to use. If you hate GSAK, I would also suggest uninstalling it.

On my computer (Windows) to change a file association...right click on the zipped file, then select "Open with", then "Choose default program", then select ExpressZip or winRAR etc.

There are other programs which are roughly comparable to GSAK but free.

There's GAPP (a project i'm personally involved in):

http://application.globalcaching.eu/

That program supports the Live-API (i.e. for downloading PQs) and also has some export functions for garmins. It can directly import GSAK Databases if needed.

Also there's GeoGet:

http://geoget.ararat.cz/doku.php/start

Edited by SKAMS

There are other programs which are roughly comparable to GSAK but free.

There's GAPP (a project i'm personally involved in):

http://application.globalcaching.eu/

That program supports the Live-API (i.e. for downloading PQs) and also has some export functions for garmins. It can directly import GSAK Databases if needed.

Also there's GeoGet:

http://geoget.ararat.cz/doku.php/start

is there any mac version of these progams

Hi Shrek & Fiona,

is there any mac version of these progams

Sorry, no.

For GAPP there's definitely no multiplatform version available or planned at the moment. It is windows only. (Until somebody joins the project with enough time & knowledge to port the c# sources to i.e. Mono)

For GeoGet I at least don't see any mac version in the download section. I'm unsure about the plans of that project but have read also in the forum some time ago that the project is/(was?) windows only.

I have been caching with a Garmin Colorado 300. The only think I HATE is GSAK. I can't bring myself to pay to get rid of the nag screen so I have to wait for it to count down from 600 each click. It takes forever!! Is there a way to load my pq directly to the Colorado?? And as long as I have your attention....how do I delete geocaches from the Colorado???

I thought that I would figure this out by now, but I must be missing something

Thank you so much!!!

I'm cheap but I bought GSAK long ago. The functionality I get from it is waaaaaaaaaaaaay worth the small price. Don't get me wrong - I'm not an advanced user or anything. GSAK can do amazing things that I don't know how to do and I'm too lazy to learn. Even a low-level user like me can download and install various macros, though.

I have a nice macro that makes all the cache listings extremely nice when loaded to my nüvi 760. My wife uses that for listings, hints, etc. (everything you could possibly want and in various colors) when we geocache together and I use the GPSMAP 78S for actually finding the caches. I have another nice macro that zooms through a pocket query listing and marks all the caches with a DNF, Needs Maintenance, etc. as the last log. When I go on a trip and have maybe 1500 caches in my trip query I don't need to bother looking for questionable caches. Once the macro marks the listings I can then right click and select to remove all marked listings. I end up with only caches that have "found" logs as the last entry.

There are many macros that smart people have written and you can download for free.

I don't have any financial or other interest in GSAK - I just think it's well worth the small fee for such an incredibly useful program.