Dead Coins

BigCarbonFootprint

Some time ago someone placed several of my valued coins in a Dead Coin Cache. How do I retrieve these back to my inventory? They seem to be locked.

What the heck is a "Dead Coin Cache"? Does it have a GC code?

Your subtitle mentions "Isle of the Dead"...do you mean this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=977be19b-cd12-4e20-af7c-19f43803890b

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

That "Trackable Graveyard" cache, like all others of its type, has been archived and locked to new logs. Geocaching.com stopped publishing these once they added functionality to mark a trackable "missing." This action moves the trackable out of its last known location, into an "unknown" location.

Despite the cache being locked, you should be able to grab the traveler back. Did this not work for you?

As the owner of the trackables you should be able to retrieve them.

But on the other hand, that would move them into your inventory and that's not where they are.

I'd mark those items missing, that would set them on 'location unknown'. Should someone find them again, they can retrieve them and move them back into the game.

If you can't to this yourself, which should be possible as the owner, than please contact the lackey, who archived that cache, he at least must be able to set all of those trackables to 'location unknown', he should have done so at the archivation.

That "Trackable Graveyard" cache, like all others of its type, has been archived and locked to new logs. Geocaching.com stopped publishing these once they added functionality to mark a trackable "missing." This action moves the trackable out of its last known location, into an "unknown" location.

Despite the cache being locked, you should be able to grab the traveler back. Did this not work for you?

Thanks for the reply Keystone. I have tried several methods and am not able to put these back in my inventory.

What are the public reference numbers for your coins? I can try moving them to an "Unknown Location." Perhaps from there you'd be able to retrieve them to inventory, if desired. You can PM the numbers to me if you don't feel like posting them.

Aparently the trackables are locked as well as the cache? TBQ38R is one of them. I can't post a note there.

(Not that I'd want to, but still I can't.)

I was able to move that trackable to an unknown location by choosing the "Mark Item Missing" menu option. That doesn't work for you as the trackable owner? If not, it should be reported as a bug.

Can you now "grab" the "freed" geocoin?

I too was able to move to Uknown status, but still not able to move to my inventory or grab. If this us a bug, how is it reported and corrected?

I was able to move that trackable to an unknown location by choosing the "Mark Item Missing" menu option. That doesn't work for you as the trackable owner? If not, it should be reported as a bug.

Can you now "grab" the "freed" geocoin?

No, it's not possible to grab the coins from unknown location. The listings are locked.

TBQ38R is now in location unknown, but can't be retrieved.

Most of those trackables in that TB graveyard might be really lost. But now and then you'll hear a story, how a missing coin returned to the game. It would be sad, if those few ones couldn't be logged anymore.

I guess, it's a lot of work to go manually to the trackables pages and unlock those, I wonder why they were locked in the first place.

@BigCarbonFootprint: I still wouldn't move those trackables into your inventory, that's not where they are.

On the other hand, did you sent out copies? Cause the sockpuppet, who moved them to that graveyard has in it's profile a sentence about doing away with virtual coins. Some people don't like copies, it's always good to state on the coin page, that you've sent out a copy. Sometimes the original is lost, than a copy might be used as substitute. Some are just ancious about their precious coins and don't want them lost, so they send out a copy.

Either way, you'll aways find cachers, who frown upon copies, could be the case here.

Elli, these coins are in my possession. I let someone discover them a few years ago and some how they got virtually logged and then ended up in graveyard.

If you have them in hand, that's a different story.

Then you should send an email with your TB Numbers to Keystone or to Brad_W, who archived the cache, so they can be unlocked.

If you go to your geocoin's home page, go to 'Found it, log it', select the option 'Retrieve from Isle of the Dead", put the tracking number in the box, then add comments and 'Submit log entry'... What happens?

Do you get some sort of blocking message that doesn't allow you to do the retrieval?

I don't understand why locking the cache listing should prevent you from making logs on your own trackables that happen to be in that cache.

MrsB