Good or Evil? Right or Wrong? The BIG BUG Debate

Snoogans

The lower portion of this OP is from a different conversation in OT, but this is too good not to start a debate about.

Who likes big bugs?

Who else out there doesn't like big bugs.

Which ever side of the fence you're on tell us why as I have done below.

Share the roster of some of your favorite big bugs. Are you watching any big bugs?

Share your feelings if you are on the other side of the fence. I want to understand why a big trackable can offend someone.

But that wasn't the strangest thing anyone brought. People had weird outfits and hats, etc, but the strangest (although that is debatable) was the old dented up car door someone was carrying around. Try to fit that in an ammo can. Well he couldn't, so he brought it and left it with the travel bugs. I guess it has a bunch of travel bugs riveted to it. I thought it was kind of a bad deal he left it. I'm sure no one would take it. Who would?

I would.

I make big bugs and I move big bugs. I love to move the big ones the most. It's a challenge and I'm up to it.

I am in possession of Iggy Prop right now. I put about 25% of the mileage on Iggy's sister TB Mary Proppins.

I moved King Boreas' VW hood TB, but that's a sore subject. (He deleted my move and never responded to my email asking why.)

I had a great adventure with a TB tag that was a whole sheet of plywood. I left it Groundspeak HQ at the end of my time with it. :laughing:

0d83f730-8dbc-4011-ad89-91810e4648e9.jpg

I have moved countless bowling ball TBs. I packed Sofa King Obnoxious down from the A.P.E. cache.

There is a 20+ pound concrete frog that I picked up at the last event in my car right now.

I would gladly move a car door community TB. For no reason other than it would annoy the heck outta my wife. :anibad:

Just because it is outside of your aesthetic that doesn't make it wrong. :mellow::)

Who makes these huge travel bugs thinking it's funny?? Never mind. I really don't want to know.

Nope. You asked.

Me. I do. They are funny, cool, challenging, and lots of fun in my not so humble opinion.

I believe I started the community TB concept when I launched my refrigerator door TB, several years ago but I could be wrong. That fridge door has had over 12,000 miles of fun.

I also have a community TB that is a commercial display sample of iron fence as big as a car tire.

My thinking in making these large community TBs was to have many trackables on a large item that would move event to event. Unlike other trackables, I guessed (and I was right) that the weight of responsibility for a community TB would keep it alive and moving however slowly.

I hope Groundspeak takes the travel tags off of it and junks it.

Dude (or Girl Dude), seriously? :huh:

Please post the trackable guideline(s) that would justify that action? I'd like to see them. :unsure:

I would screw myself into the ceiling if Groundspeak did that and I don't have a tag on that community TB. Imagine how many others would be upset. :mellow:

Those are just evil travel bugs.

Frikin' A! /Doc E voice

Dr_Evil.jpg

If you're fond of events and don't mind lugging big and weird stuff around, then the big TBs aren't so bad. I myself would never take a big TB because my thought would be, "OMG, I'm never gonna get rid of this hunk of junk, it'll be sitting in my trunk forever, and I'll never find someone else crazy enough to let me to dump it on them." I like TBs that fit in an ammo can - no embarrassment required.

Share your feelings

I've seen really huge Travel Bugs at events. I'm all like "Wow, that's one huge TB! Buh-bye!".

I might take a picture of it, but I won't take it. That would be like a giant rusty hot potato, and I wouldn't enjoy all the impatient reminder PMs that I haven't figured out how to unload the thing.

And I once found a bowling ball at a thrift store. It was two dollars. How do I attach a TB dogtag in a way that allows bowling to occur? You'd have to be able to roll the ball! It would need engraving instead, Travel Bug Barcode Bug, tracking code, some "if you find this" info. And it did in fact cross my mind: "I do not want to inflict this on people". If I made a giant TB, it would need to be in some way "practical", like a bowling ball. If all my friends know I found a car door, the conversation pretty much stops at "I found a car door". Everyone might roll the bowling ball. Nobody will suggest "Let's go find a car to try this door on!".

A huge TB is memorable and goofy and all outrageous "I'm in your face with my non-conformist gigantic thing that you have to plan your life around if you Retrieve it". I won't retrieve it, but have a lot of empathy for the poor souls who do.

Edited by kunarion

I would discover it but no way would I retrieve one. At least not yet..... :ph34r:

Sure you can! Just back your car in, and we'll help load the thing up. Buh-bye!!

It's almost as if, you get a little too close to the giant TB, the next thing you know, you're driving home with it tied to the roof of your car, trying to remember "Now, just how did this happen?"

I've been to events where there's a "Traveling Cache". The current holder says, "Hey, check out the Traveling Cache!". Everyone signs the log, discovers the contained TBs. Next question, "Anybody want to take the Traveling Cache? Anybody? PLEE..EE..EE..EE..ee..eezz!!"

sx242p.jpg

...And that's only an ammo can.

Edited by kunarion

On a probably unrelated subject, my parents are experts at passing off junk they need to get rid of, when having a yard sale. Toward the end of the day, visitors begin winning door prizes. "Lucky you, here's your prize!". When the poor guy asks, "Um, what do I do with this!", my parents reply, "I dunno, you won it!". The guy ends up loading something he didn't want into his car and leaves.

Edited by kunarion

Love those big TB and its a conversation starter!

Funny things about Snoogans, I never met him yet but I saw him with my two eyes. How? Because he was carrying a huge bug!! He was standing out in the middle of thousands of people around him and everybody was looking at him! There, if you wanna get noticed, better carry those big things. Size does matter! :laughing:

Funny things about Snoogans, I never met him yet but I saw him with my two eyes. How? Because he was carrying a huge bug!! He was standing out in the middle of thousands of people around him and everybody was looking at him! There, if you wanna get noticed, better carry those big things. Size does matter! :laughing:

It's fine with me if you carry your own giant TB around with you. I have a whole car Geocoin.

I've been to events where there's a "Traveling Cache". The current holder says, "Hey, check out the Traveling Cache!". Everyone signs the log, discovers the contained TBs. Next question, "Anybody want to take the Traveling Cache? Anybody? PLEE..EE..EE..EE..ee..eezz!!"

...And that's only an ammo can.

Bernie's Traveling Geocache is an ammo can and has crossed Canada a few times. It is very popular and has been to many events. We once had it for a three week caching trip and word had spread that we had it and we were greeted at events en route and were even approached when at a cache. Bernie is very well known and very popular. There seems to be no problem getting people to take it.

http://coord.info/GC2179

With regard to BIG BUGS, here is one that we had for a while

8373bfc3-9d20-4013-8859-43e0e0bbdad9.jpg

LOVE LOBSTER

Lol. If it was GS L&F it was my Extreme Ironing (ironing board) and my wife's stuffed dog Winston.

If it was GW8, that was just a chair. My feet were killin' me from all the hiking I had done that week. I had taken vicadin and most of that day is a blur. :laughing:

I like any novel idea. I've always liked big bugs that are still small enough to carry, and I try to grab them when I run into them just for the challenge. I have to admit, I've never seen anything on the scale you're talking about, but I'd enjoy running into one. I doubt I'd pick up it, though, but so what?

I once planned to make a TB out of a wooden step ladder. I'd found the old ladder abandoned in a forested area, and thought of attaching a TB dogtag, with the mission of staying right where it is, so cachers could use it to access a cache in a tree. The idea fell apart. So did the ladder.

I believe I started the community TB concept when I launched my refrigerator door TB, several years ago but I could be wrong. That fridge door has had over 12,000 miles of fun.

Hmmm my wife just called me to say that the refrigerator door TB was left at our front door sometime today.

She wasn't happy to see it. :laughing:

I know at least 3 locals that went to the block party..... None of them know where I live. I smell PAF.

So, I take it to mean that you want big bugs at your house? Okay, will comply...

There is a backstory on that fridge door.

I passed it by for months just sitting on a turn signal island in the middle of the road...

One night while heading to an event with my wife, I had an epiphany and said aloud that I should pick it up and make it a TB.

My wife forbid me to do it so of course I did exactly that a few days later. :laughing:

So, I take it to mean that you want big bugs at your house? Okay, will comply...

There is a backstory on that fridge door.

I passed it by for months just sitting on a turn signal island in the middle of the road...

One night while heading to an event with my wife, I had an epiphany and said aloud that I should pick it up and make it a TB.

My wife forbid me to do it so of course I did exactly that a few days later. :laughing:

Roger that. I'm not too much into bugs but I can see a challenge in the making. I'll start sending out large bugs dedicated to you and making it to you will be their purpose in life. Are Metal scupltures ok? What size is the limit?

It has to fit in my car. No fit. No take.

What size of car; pre-smash or post-smash? :anibad:

I'm in a Honda Element these days. I miss my 4wd Xterra sooooo bad. :tired:

If you were at GWX that was me driving on the sidewalk and through the grass to pick up Iggy Prop among other big tbs.

Edited by Snoogans