1000 finds....

hariii2

Hello, we got our 1000th find the other day but our statistics say 997 distinct. What does that mean? Have we logged 3 finds more than once? How do I find which ones so I can fix it? Thanks,

hari

Yes, you've got multiple "found it" logs posted for the same GC code(s).

This thread might help:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=283411

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Yes. Probably you logged "Found It" twice in three caches, by instance.

Sometimes we log a "Found It" instead of a DNF or a Note, after that when we log a real "Found It" the system assume it as a double found.

Try to check first every caches that you searched for more than one time.

Then you can check on your profile Your Geocaching Logs... choose "Found It" and verify double logs.

Finally maybe you can obtain that information on some IAAN compilations at your geocaching community.

Yes. Probably you logged "Found It" twice in three caches, by instance.

Sometimes we log a "Found It" instead of a DNF or a Note, after that when we log a real "Found It" the system assume it as a double found.

It should be fixed when you delete the false "found it" log, no? You do delete the false "found it" log, right?

I'm not sure why you would post a "found it" log instead of a DNF or note.

Try to check first every caches that you searched for more than one time.

Then you can check on your profile Your Geocaching Logs... choose "Found It" and verify double logs.

Finally maybe you can obtain that information on some IAAN compilations at your geocaching community.

The thread I linked to gives instructions about running a "My finds" PQ and sorting it through GSAK.

That would be the quickest way to do it, especially when it's a matter of so many cache finds. Searching "manually" takes forever.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol
That would be the quickest way to do it, especially when it's a matter of so many cache finds. Searching "manually" takes forever.

I've done manual searches for people with 20 or fewer caches. I've also had some luck just googling a cacher name, and looking at the results, if the name is unique to the site. I saw two Found It references for one cache code in the list, problem solved (I don't think google can access that stuff anymore). Once you're at 1000 finds, true, manual searching is no good.

Doesn't it seem that if the system knows which caches are "distinct", it already can display which ones aren't? I think there are a few Feature suggestions around here for exactly that, but until that happens it sure does sell GSAK. :ph34r:

[EDIT]: I briefly thought there could be some trick to it that hadn't occurred to me before, like sorting the Found List alphabetically or some other method right there on the Found Caches page. Nope, I was foiled at every attempt. One thing that really stands out is how similar the cache names look, particularly when a series is named by, say, Roman numerals. Everything starts to run together pretty quickly. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion