Jeep on Ebay

Geominionsヅ

You know, this linksays a lot about how these Jeeps should be handled. The issue here is that Jeep isn't actively maintaining their TB pages (nor are any of the other promotional folks... <_< ), and this ebay user can just do as he pleases.

That eBay user can move and log the Jeeps. He cannot just do as he pleases, making fake "Geowoodstock" logs, and to sell Trackables. The link says to keep these moving. People logged and moved these for years. Nobody has the right to mess with the logs nor sell the items.

If you'd suggest that anyone is allowed to sell these, you must also agree that the logs need to reflect the events that happened, as detailed as possible. Since the guy is allowed to sell them, you don't mind if I make a note log on each of the stolen Jeeps, stating exactly what happened, who was involved, and how much was paid, right?

Edited by kunarion

But are they stolen and from whom? Only the owner can declare them stolen; and the owner is apparently non-caring. Liken it to a cache owner that hasn't activated their email. If geocaching<dot>com would set up a way for promotional trackables to be adopted after a promotion is over, it may take care of part of this problem.

I have bought several Jeep trackables, as has been posted in this thread. I get them moving again. I wouldn't mind if someone would do the same with my, more than 100, missing trackables.

A side note to those that think I'm making matters worse, one of the Jeeps I bought on eBay was previously "recovered" and sent on it's way as a "proxy"; neither the Jeep nor the Tag was original. So you can say to me, what goes around comes around!

I am amazed, though, by the many cachers that are having fun logging the Jeeps as "discovered" when they did not. Shame on you!

Are you intending to keep buying jeeps, to cart around to events to be discovered or are you actually going to put them in caches?

Hoarding these jeeps to proudly display is no better than just stealing them from caches. It doesn't lessen the offense if you buy the jeep from someone who stole it and then, yourself, keep it.

Edited by fbingha

But are they stolen and from whom? Only the owner can declare them stolen; and the owner is apparently non-caring. Liken it to a cache owner that hasn't activated their email. If geocaching<dot>com would set up a way for promotional trackables to be adopted after a promotion is over, it may take care of part of this problem.

I have bought several Jeep trackables, as has been posted in this thread. I get them moving again. I wouldn't mind if someone would do the same with my, more than 100, missing trackables.

A side note to those that think I'm making matters worse, one of the Jeeps I bought on eBay was previously "recovered" and sent on it's way as a "proxy"; neither the Jeep nor the Tag was original. So you can say to me, what goes around comes around!

I am amazed, though, by the many cachers that are having fun logging the Jeeps as "discovered" when they did not. Shame on you!

Are you intending to keep buying jeeps, to cart around to events to be discovered or are you actually going to put them in caches?

Hoarding these jeeps to proudly display is no better than just stealing them from caches. It doesn't lessen the offense if you buy the jeep from someone who stole it and then, yourself, keep it.

The eBay seller is a Geocacher. If the Jeeps are released, what's to stop him or someone else just like him with no moral compass, from gathering up the Jeeps and holding them for ransom yet again?

some recollections concerning Jeep trackables . . .

(hopefully, my memory is functioning correctly)

Jeep commissioned four versions of the trackable

yellow, white, green, and red, in that order

each version was associated with a contest

typically, if you found one of the items, you could submit a picture of the trackable, and a story of your adventure with it - the entries were judged, and some winners were selected

the grand prize winner got a Jeep

there was one of these contests/sweepstakes each year for four consecutive years

while the contest was in progress, all players were encouraged to keep the items in circulation, so that as many people as possible got a chance to enter the contest

after the first contest ended, Jeep posted a message on their contest website saying that now that the contest was over, you were free to keep a yellow Jeep trackable item if you wanted to

I do not know if they made a similar offer for the other three colors

all of this happened long before the automated adoption process existed

so I believe that no adoptions of these items were done

after the first contest ended, Jeep posted a message on their contest website saying that now that the contest was over, you were free to keep a yellow Jeep trackable item if you wanted to

Did anybody do that? That is, did any cacher claim a Jeep, and properly log doing so? Because the Jeeps sold on ebay were gathered up, he made vague logs about intentions to place the TBs, then this year (2012) the guy logged each one into "Geowoodstock IV" fraudulently -- a Geocacher with the back-story of being a non-Geocacher who "bought them in a bag in a thrift store" who didn't know what to do with them (yet refused ideas how the Jeeps could be returned to the game). He threatened to throw them away if not allowed to sell them, so bidders payed a lot of ransom to rescue these Jeeps. That doesn't seem like a legitimate claim of ownership. It's more of a scam.

The logs into Geowoodstock IV were back-dated to before the first cacher even received a Jeep, so you see fake logs about Geowoodstock, then the original logs where cachers received the new Jeep TB directly from the company. There is nothing justifiable about this Jeep TB ebay deal.

Edited by kunarion

You know, this linksays a lot about how these Jeeps should be handled. The issue here is that Jeep isn't actively maintaining their TB pages (nor are any of the other promotional folks... <_< ), and this ebay user can just do as he pleases.

That eBay user can move and log the Jeeps. He cannot just do as he pleases, making fake "Geowoodstock" logs, and to sell Trackables. The link says to keep these moving. People logged and moved these for years. Nobody has the right to mess with the logs nor sell the items.

If you'd suggest that anyone is allowed to sell these, you must also agree that the logs need to reflect the events that happened, as detailed as possible. Since the guy is allowed to sell them, you don't mind if I make a note log on each of the stolen Jeeps, stating exactly what happened, who was involved, and how much was paid, right?

I wasn't saying "this ebay user can just do as he pleases" as justification for his answer. I meant that he is going to do what he pleases, because other than a handful of people getting upset in the forums and sending messages via ebay, nobody is stopping him.

In my opinion, the link I provided should be his guidance. The site says that the TBs should be logged and moved along. He's aware of what these items are, and is ignoring how they are supposed to be used. However, if some schlub wants to sell a chainsaw and say it is a canopener, I guess they can...

I wasn't saying "this ebay user can just do as he pleases" as justification for his answer. I meant that he is going to do what he pleases, because other than a handful of people getting upset in the forums and sending messages via ebay, nobody is stopping him.

In my opinion, the link I provided should be his guidance. The site says that the TBs should be logged and moved along. He's aware of what these items are, and is ignoring how they are supposed to be used. However, if some schlub wants to sell a chainsaw and say it is a canopener, I guess they can...

Oh, that's what you meant :anicute:. Yeah, you're right. Sometimes I think people become "Geocachers" not to do what you might think about (To Geocache, To Explore Nature, Doscover Places). Rather, they take it to heart that there "are no rules", therefore they are outside of any "rules" or ettiquette, and can run roughshod over everyone, anonymously. Anything they do is fine until somebody stops them from doing it. It's merely another avenue to lash out, to cry for help. That always turns out badly for the offender, because they soon discover that with most things in a free society, nobody "stops" you, except you. Perhaps these unbalanced individuals can't handle that much guilt.

Edited by kunarion

Lol. If one thing this thread proves is yall sound like a bunch of old ladies sitting around a game of mahjong complaining about millies petunias not all being properly lined up in her garden. I mean really, if Jeep has no problem with THEIR travelbugs being sold on ebay, then why yall worry about it is beyond me.

Lol. If one thing this thread proves is yall sound like a bunch of old ladies sitting around a game of mahjong complaining about millies petunias not all being properly lined up in her garden. I mean really, if Jeep has no problem with THEIR travelbugs being sold on ebay, then why yall worry about it is beyond me.

Then I'll spell it out for you. The seller didn't ask Jeep if they “had no problem with it”. He could just as well be selling anybody's TB, and it's not clear who owns it. Even “Jeep” TBs could be owned by cachers. Don't sell Trackables, they move from cache to cache. At no point is it OK to steal a TB, regardless of who cares.

This started with a “Non-Geocacher selling Jeeps I bought in a bag in a thrift store”, and who would “have to just throw them away if I can't sell them”. Some people supposed that a Geocacher died, so his effects, including Trackables, were sent to a thrift store. My concern was fact that this “dead” Geocacher was making fake logs after death -- therefore his account was hijacked. That's something that Groundspeak should have looked at.

Somebody's selling Trackables he doesn't not own, and has no business profiting from, in a scam where he pretends to be a non-cacher. Trackables are not to be sold. If “Jeep doesn't care”, why did none of these stolen TBs have an honest log about collecting and selling them? You think it's all hilarious, so does that cacher. This is the whole problem.

The cacher created fake TB logs, so now the first people who got the TBs are not listed first anymore, also logged them into caches they never were at, to package them for sale, and covered his own tracks to hide who was selling them. This messed up the logs for the purpose of profit, and stepped on many cachers who had diligently tracked the TBs. Jeep doesn't care, you don't care, Groundspeak doesn't care. I sure do. I have Trackables in caches and intend that they travel. The cacher could just as well have sold mine with a ruse similar to what he did.

Groundspeak and Ebay turn a blind eye to the dealings. I will continue to warn people who own TBs, that nobody does anything about it, and that alleged “Geocachers” who should know better actually support selling Trackables like this. Your post proves my point.

This event has destroyed the Trackable part of the game, and just like you, Groundspeak doesn't yet understand the damage this has done. People now see that they can openly sell Trackables with no penalty. People like will continue to laugh about it.

Edited by kunarion

I did not respond to this thread, but I opened it up, and clicked on the link to the yellow jeep TB in question. I must have been logged into ebay when I looked at it. Because I KID YOU NOT, this morning I get an email from ebay titled "Yellow Jeep Travel Bug", and it's a link to that auction (along with some other Travel Bug related auctions). Auction over, some wahoo paid $42 for this yellow jeep!!

They're valuable, because people have always hoarded them and tried to keep them for themselves from day 1. I'll bet the few in existence, be they yellow, green or red, all are in people's "personal collection" and taken around to events where they so graciously allow thankful, awestruck people to discover them. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck