Using an external antenna for handheld Garmin GPSr?

I have an older Garmin GPSmap 76s. When geocaching under in forested conditions I have the usual accuracy/signal degradation. Was considering getting an external antenna for $20 at Amazon to plug into my unit. The Garmin antenna has a magnetic mount. Was considering getting a baseball cap and sewing a metal plate at the peak, then sticking the antenna on it while geocaching in the woods (I know, it sounds silly looking ...).

Gilsson makes an antenna like this also, also with a magnetic mount.

Has anyone used an external antenna and have any advice, observations, etc. Any thoughts on which external antenna would work better? Thanks!

I doubt that small amount of metal would increase lightning danger - no plans to geocache in adverse weather.

Putting it on the head would be to try to get as unobstructed LOS to the satellites as possible. Although I don't see it discussed, I would think your body blocks part of the satellite signals. If leaves and branches do, then surely the body does also?

I doubt that small amount of metal would increase lightning danger - no plans to geocache in adverse weather.

Putting it on the head would be to try to get as unobstructed LOS to the satellites as possible. Although I don't see it discussed, I would think your body blocks part of the satellite signals. If leaves and branches do, then surely the body does also?

Hi uphillbill, No worries about lightning. I used a Garmin GPS 5+ years ago with a Gillson magnetic base antenna. I used Velcro to attach a small steel plate (2x2")to the shoulder strap on my back pack. It worked absolutely fantastic even under tree cover. Give it a try you will be surprised.

Best,

Jeff of Barefoot One & Wench

Long ago when GPSs weren't as good as now I used an external antenna. Look for a hiking hat that has a pocket inside and tuck it in there. No steel plate needed.

Agreed, I didn't find my Gilsson helped much with my 60CSX, but with a 76s (no X=less sensitive) I suspect it would help. Also, hat's the place to put it. No shadows from body or gear.

Edited by seldom_sn

Granted... the lightning rod comment was put up in jest -- I mean the WWII steel pot never attracted lightning to my knowledge, either!

The attaching it to the vest was real enough. ANY enhancement in reception is better than what one has beforehand, body mass or no.

As others have commented, it apparently works well enough.

....any yes being taller, either naturally or artificially in the woods is not good. :) Maybe that is why most other mammals have remained using all fours.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Got the Garmin GA MCX25 antenna from Amazon today. Removed the GPS from the neoprene case I normally carry it in, added a lanyard, removed the antenna port cover and screw, attached the antenna connector carefully, as some reviewers on Amazon said they are delicate and break easily. I then duct taped the wire and connector on the back so they cannot move, and then duct taped the excess of the 9ft antenna cable to the side of the GPS.

I tried sewing a washer into my ballcap so that I could just attach the antenna to the top of the cap via the antenna's built-in magnet. However, that is not strong enough, so I attached loop velcro to the antenna base and hook velcro to the top of my ball cap, which seems to work quite well. I wear the antenna with the wire pointed toward my back, and run it behind and under my left shoulder and arm, which keeps it out of my way.

I also purchased the suction cup auto window holder for the antenna, which appears to work well holding it with good satellite reception while I manipulate the unit inside the car.

Using the unit with external antenna and ball cap mount for a few relatively easy caches today, the external antenna appears to help somewhat, with more satellites in view, and accuracy usually less than 10 feet. I have not used it under heavier tree cover, and will post my subjective impressions when I do.

Edited by uphillbill