GPSMap 62s freeze on cache selection

I have a Garmin GPSMap 62s, Software Version 3.60 loaded with the 1:24K topo maps and 16GB SD card. It works like a champ most of the time.

Occasionally though, when I select certain caches, the unit will lock or freeze completely. No buttons can be pushed, the unit won't even turn off unless the batteries are removed. I even let the unit sit for about 5-10 minutes to see if it was just slow processing.

An example cache is GC2F41T or GC2F42Z. I always load from a GPX. When it happened today, there were 10 or so caches in the GPX and that was the only GPX on the machine.

My theory is that the cache description plus the 5 logs in the file are to much for the unit to process. When it tries to load the file it just crashes resulting in the freeze. Your thoughts? Thanks.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 62s, Software Version 3.60 loaded with the 1:24K topo maps and 16GB SD card. It works like a champ most of the time.

Occasionally though, when I select certain caches, the unit will lock or freeze completely. No buttons can be pushed, the unit won't even turn off unless the batteries are removed. I even let the unit sit for about 5-10 minutes to see if it was just slow processing.

An example cache is GC2F41T or GC2F42Z. I always load from a GPX. When it happened today, there were 10 or so caches in the GPX and that was the only GPX on the machine.

My theory is that the cache description plus the 5 logs in the file are to much for the unit to process. When it tries to load the file it just crashes resulting in the freeze. Your thoughts? Thanks.

I had upgraded mine sometime ago to 3.90 which was the first firmware to get rid of the " sticky " issue. Its worked perfect ever since. I think there is even newer firmware but since all is well I'm not inclined to upgrade.

I would use web updater and load the latest firmware....with 3.60 you're likely to have issues.

I have GSAK sent the last 10 logs to mine, so it's not a log size issue.

95% of 'locking up' issues are down to a dodgy GPX file, try deleting it, rebooting, and then putting another GPX file on. :)

eusty, I would agree with you but this has only happened on certain caches for me. The only time I have had this problem is with the Star Spangled Banner and Captain John Smith caches. Both sets of caches have extensive text and html descriptions along with photos. I updated the firmware to 4.3. With the same GPX loaded (I didn't have to re-load it) I was able to select and navigate to the cache but the unit still locks up when I pull-up the cache description.

Even though you upgraded the firmware this probably won't afftect the GPX files loaded.

Remember that when the unit boots it checks the GPX file you have loaded, if it's the same as last time then it won't load anything into it's memory. Deleting the GPX will mean that it will clear the memory as there is nothing to load, when you put the GPX file back on it will reload the info into the internal memory.

I've seen the problem you have on both my Colorado and Oregon where it's only when you look at the cache details it locks up. Every time it's the GPX file....

Have you a GC number for the affected caches?

I just downloaded one of the mentioned caches directly to my 62s via "Send to GPS"; no washing through GSAK or anything. Didn't notice the lock-up issues the OP mentions, but the GPS is noticeably slower in panning, zooming, etc., with this cache loaded. Seeing how the cache is loaded, it appears to be an unfortunate overuse/abuse of code.

GC2F41T.jpg

The bulk of the Description reads like this, and I can't say that I've seen this very often before, certainly not that bad. My suggestion: find 'em and be done with them! :)

Thanks for the notes. Eusty, that was a good point about re-loading the gpx.

So I re-ran the PQ and loaded the new gpx. I normally load the GPSr not the SD card. So I loaded the new gpx on the GPSr. I can select and navigate to the cache but when I pull up the description it locks and requires the batteries to be pulled.

Based on JBnW's post, I loaded directly from the website with no gpx, just a direct load writing a single cache to the GPSr with no gpx files on it. Doing that I get the same result as JBnW. It works but is mostly illegible.

I wonder if there is an issue between the html used to write the description and the html parser that the GPSr has? Who knows. At this point JBnW probably has the best solution. Find them and move on. Maybe I will mention the issue to the CO. Not sure who wrote those but I am fairly sure I know the CO through the local geocaching society.

If anybody else has any ideas, I am just curious at this point. Thanks.