GPSMAP 62S - 'Find Next Closest' function

MtnShasta

While recently geocaching with my new 62s I discovered that selecting "Find Next Closest" after marking a cache as 'FOUND' stays on the one I just found. My 60csx is smart enough to know I am done with the found cache and displays the closest Unfound cache. I did discover by accident that if you select 'Done' as the action, it displays a list of caches with the closest 'UNFOUND' at the top and With a few more key strokes you get to where you should have been with the 'Find Next Closest' selection. Is this the intended behavior, or is there a software implementation bug? It sure seems to be a step backwards from the 60csx and can be, or is annoying to the user.

I hit 'find next closest' quite often on my 62 and it always points to the next cache - not the one I just marked found....

Check if you are running the latest firmware - check if the found cache file on the GPS is unusually large - you can just delete it and it will be recreated.....

I hit 'find next closest' quite often on my 62 and it always points to the next cache - not the one I just marked found....

Check if you are running the latest firmware - check if the found cache file on the GPS is unusually large - you can just delete it and it will be recreated.....

How do I delete the Found list from my 62s?

Edited by MtnShasta

Well I made another run today after restoring my 62s to factory defaults because it wouldn't boot up. So this run was a pretty fresh setup. I also had on a single GPX file containing multiple caches but no overlapping caches. I still saw the same behavior when I marked a cache as FOUND and then selected 'Find Next Closest'. I hope Garmin takes note and fixes or changes this behavior. I doesn't make any sense to point at the one that was just marked.

Edited by MtnShasta

How do I delete the Found list from my 62s?

I believe....you delete them by running and loading a new PQ into the device.

Weird...we have a 62s and haven't had any problems as you mentioned.

Have you gone thru your 'settings' in the unit? My husband is the guru so I honestly can't tell you 'what' it could be...but perhaps you have something enabled/disabled in the settings?

I know at times with both 62s and our 450 - it can get confusing sometimes when you're navigating to one cache on the trip screen and it shows you the nearest & two different arrows & distances. I hate when it does this. We generally just click on the 'geocaches' (in menu) and it comes up with a list of the nearest. Click the one you want and hit GO....then trip (no confusion doing it this way)

Edited by Lieblweb

I just tried this feature on my 62sc yesterday and it worked as expected, but in my case not as I wanted. What I really wanted was the next in the series I was working on, but there was another one closer. In any case it did not show me the one I had just found, but the next closest. So I'd see if there's a firmware update available. I installed the latest firmware right away when I got my 62sc.

Before I load any new data I erase ALL GPX files including those in the Archive and Current directories. At this point many folks turn the GPS off before adding a new file...I don't.

I then use GSAK to load a new file.

Bamboozle, What do you mean by the 'Archive' directory? I don't see one such named on my 62s.

Before I load any new data I erase ALL GPX files including those in the Archive and Current directories. At this point many folks turn the GPS off before adding a new file...I don't.

Bamboozle, What do you mean by the 'Archive' directory? I don't see one such named on my 62s.

When I plug the unit in to the computer I see the Garmin 62S as a drive.....there is a GPX directory but also an Archive and Current Directory. The Archive directory may have a ton of GPX files in it ( if you don't delete them each time)....I delete ALL of these.

In the Current Directory there will be one GPX file.....I delete it.

In the GPX directory I delete whatever GPX files are in it.

Only then do I load my new one.

The Oregon 450 is the same as above.

When I plug the unit in to the computer I see the Garmin 62S as a drive.....there is a GPX directory but also an Archive and Current Directory. The Archive directory may have a ton of GPX files in it ( if you don't delete them each time)....I delete ALL of these.

In the Current Directory there will be one GPX file.....I delete it.

In the GPX directory I delete whatever GPX files are in it.

Only then do I load my new one.

The Oregon 450 is the same as above.

Interesting. I don't have an Archive folder on my 62s. I'm guessing it gets added if I ever do any kind of bulk delete of waypoints or geocaches and maybe an archive of tracks. I will have to keep track of this folder and if it shows up delete its contents.