Geocaching for Iphone 5.0 Release Notes

nkroy

The Geocaching app is better than ever with bug fixes and feature additions. Your feedback has been vital to this release, so keep it up. Read on to see what you’ll get.

Features:

・ See your avatar and find counts on the newly designed home screen

・ Share your finds on Facebook and Twitter

・ Easier to create an account and login

・ Login with your Facebook account

Bug Fixes:

・ Significant performance enhancements

・ Your Trackable inventory now shows the Trackable number

・ Error alerts are more accurate and helpful

・ Field notes can be left blank

・ ...and minor bug fixes

Supported languages:

・ Čeština

・ Nederlands

・ English (US)

・ Français

・ Deutsch

・ Italiano

・ 日本語

・ Norsk

・ Slovenčina

・ Svenska

Features:

Is there a way to force a refresh of this data? My find count is off by about 300 and the avatar it shows is one I stopped using a few months ago.

Yep, I just checked, and the count it shows is the number of finds I had at the end of the day on Jan 1, 2012.

yes, the count was not correct when starting but it adjusted after some minutes!

I would have a suggestion for a new feature: I use the save lists to be prepared for an area with bad connection or in an other country to avoid roaming costs. I would love a botton "refresh hole list" to actualise all the contents at once! would be great!

Try logging out and back in; that should reset your account info in the app.

It turns out this wasn't required. Just like Brico experienced, the information had updated the next time I went into the app. The find count is now correct, and the "Official Geocaches Worldwide" count also updated from ~1.6 million to 1,856,460. I wonder why there was this delay, and why it briefly showed data from Jan 2, 2012?

Apart from the new home screen with the avatar and the number of found caches (waste of space if you ask me... what's the use of seeing the avatar on a personal device??? An the found count... I wouldn't care less...) there is not much new stuff that makes this update worth a full new number!

What about these requests for example:

Exclude "found field notes" from search results.

Adding picture/trackable to a fieldnote log

That would be really something new that's worth the 5.0 number!

Don't get me wrong... I appreciate the work you guys do (thanks for allowing a field note to be empty) but come on... you can do better than this!

As for the performance enhancements... I'll evaluate this in the next days.

Edited by lennie.BE

I cannot read logs written in Japanese at all with v5.0

I want to delete it and back to older version.

Please stop to provide the v5.0 immidiately until fixed the problem.

" ...and minor bug fixes "

You fixed minor bugs and built-in major bugs. sigh.

makijapan-san

I hear you, and all other 2-bit character users...

Major No-no...

Just noticed while checking the Japanese iTunes' page, and found a review saying the same:

"After update, all HTML Encoded logs are shown uncoded."

I checked for myself, and oh oh...

Seems like the new 5.0 App is stripping all the 2-bit characters' HTML Encoding 'prefix' and 'post-fix' like

どー

is displayed as

missing the proper and ;

Immediate fix in need, RIGHT NOW!

~ Dr.MORO

Can you give me the GC Code of the cache you were viewing the logs for

makijapan-san

I hear you, and all other 2-bit character users...

Major No-no...

Just noticed while checking the Japanese iTunes' page, and found a review saying the same:

"After update, all HTML Encoded logs are shown uncoded."

I checked for myself, and oh oh...

Seems like the new 5.0 App is stripping all the 2-bit characters' HTML Encoding 'prefix' and 'post-fix' like

どー

is displayed as

missing the proper and ;

Immediate fix in need, RIGHT NOW!

~ Dr.MORO

Can you give me the GC Code of the cache you were viewing the logs for

Domo!!!

Try this one: GC2WBG5

http://coord.info/GC2WBG5

But it doesn't matter. ALL logs that has 2-bit characters HTML Encoded are showing just the numbers, not the proper characters.

I don't think this is just the Japanese not showing properly. ALL 2-bit languages translated into must be doing the same.

Need a VERY HOT FIX!

Thanks,

~ Dr.MORO

Domo again!!!

Interestingly, the "Description" parts ARE displayed in the proper Japanese characters. Not affected by this bug.

Obviously, this part is written in HTML though not needed to be HTML Encoded, so they shouldn't be affected, I guess.

So, this BUG is "only" for the logs, BUT it's ALL the logs...

~ Dr.MORO

Domo again, and again!!!

BTW, you can just check ALL my Found logs, as I always post a note about my signature Good Luck 5-Yen "Go-En" 五円 coin I try to drop in whatever cache it fits.

On the web, you should be able to see both 五円 and ご縁 characters.

But in the new version 5.0, they are displayed as just numbers, stripped of their HTML Encoding pre- & post-fix as I mentioned above.

Weird.

Time to really move on to Unicode / UTF8 system if you (Groundspeak) are thinking hard enough to globalize Geocaching today.

Thanks,

~ Dr.MORO

Once you do a post to a cache find you should be able to see it on that screen

Sorry, can't find it :(

It only says:

Log type

Add favorite point

Add pictue

Trackable leave/visit

Post as log

Send...

You have to actually submit the log. Once the log is submitted, the confirmation screen gives you the option to post to Facebook or Twitter.

Map display data layering issue.

To reproduce:

1 Search for nearby caches and wait for search results to display.

2 Display returned cache list on map.

3 Touch a cache icon to display cache detail overlay on map.

4 Touch the cache detail overlay to display the cache listing.

5 Touch the back button to go back to the cache list display on the map.

The cache detail overlay from step 3 above now shows through the cache icon shadows and current location ping shadow.

If you need to see a picture, just let me know.

This behavior is most prominent on the openstreetmap and topographic map types, and will persist through map type changes.

Sorry, can't find it :(

It only says:

Log type

Add favorite point

Add pictue

Trackable leave/visit

Post as log

Send...

You have to actually submit the log. Once the log is submitted, the confirmation screen gives you the option to post to Facebook or Twitter.

Ok, thanx! i'll give it a try on my next cache-round...

So it's pretty much a useless option. Writing a full log on a phone is a major pita and does not encourage the writing of nice extensive logs.

I consider the app ideal to post small fieldnotes which can be reviewed and promoted to full logs afterwards.

In my opinion more should be done to enhance the posibilitys of fieldnotes!

Try logging out and back in; that should reset your account info in the app.

As Moun10Bike mentioned, a simple logout and sign-in will resolve the issue with inaccurate find count displaying on the home screen. After updating to V5, my find count was off by 174 caches. I logged out, signed back in and my find count had refreshed right up to where it should be, as did my avatar.

Hope this will be as easy for any others experiencing this after updating.

Edited by CDarby

I was hoping the only thing that bugs me about the app might have been changed in this update but it appears not. Rest of app is great and I use it a lot and it works well. Not tried the new version in the wild yet!

The thing I'd like sorted is this:

Open PQ list of caches, nicely listed by nearest.

Navigate to a cache, find cache, log cache.

Back to list of caches - now sorted by some random criteria (alphabetical by GC code?)

Have to re-sort to Nearest (ok only two button touches but ...)

Open next cache in series, find etc.

Back to list, random sort, sort again to Nearest. Repeat endlessly.

Please make the list of caches to default to nearest on every visit to the list, not just when first opened. Doing a trail of caches or switching to other caches, checking out the next one or another nearest etc and it's surprising how many times you have to keep doing the two-touch re-sort to nearest. It becomes quite tedious over a long cache trip.

Thanks for the rest of the app though!

Anyone else having issues with the app running super slow? When I search for nearby caches, it's taking several minutes before the results are displayed. This is with full 3G and wifi.

Yes it is Super Slow. Almost as bad as if no internet bars were displayed on the phone.

As for adding Favorites points on the Post As Log page it is not on my phone.

Edited by acachebox

You get to see the Add favorite option when you are the Loggin the cache and after you have selected the Log type as found it not without selecting it

Anyone else having issues with the app running super slow? When I search for nearby caches, it's taking several minutes before the results are displayed. This is with full 3G and wifi.

Yes it is Super Slow. Almost as bad as if no internet bars were displayed on the phone.

You get to see the Add favorite option when you are the Loggin the cache and after you have selected the Log type as found it not without selecting it

As I said above not on my Phone. There is no favorites option once you have logged Found It

[issue]

I submitted an older field note yesterday after i had sent finish and save (but not submit), and never got around to logging it until tonight.

I had 15 copies of that field note when I logged in tonight.

The two field notes that I submitted after I found them only had one copy of each for me to double check for typos before submitting.

I really like the new addition of seeing my find count! Thanks..

Now for a glitch (I believe.) When viewing an email with a new cache listing...on the bottom of the email is an option to visit the cache page. When I select that and don't have the geocaching app open, it only takes me to the opening page...the cache does not open. I then go back to the email, click the link once again, and this time the cache page opens. I never had this problem before the update.

Also, the app is extremely slow. Opening, pulling up nearby caches, moving between the tabs. What used to be a second or two is now sometimes a minute or two. Doesn't seem enhanced or improved to me. :blink:

Just a heads up. Keep up the great work!

P.S. I would love the option to add a photo to a trackable! :D

Edited by LayDBugz

When viewing an email with a new cache listing...on the bottom of the email is an option to visit the cache page. When I select that and don't have the geocaching app open, it only takes me to the opening page...the cache does not open. I then go back to the email, click the link once again, and this time the cache page opens.

This has already been reported here and they're looking into it.

Also, the app is extremely slow. Opening, pulling up nearby caches, moving between the tabs. What used to be a second or two is now sometimes a minute or two.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling. Others have reported very poor performance, and this has fixed it.

I actually noticed the opposite. My app works much more fluidly now, especially after I've logged many caches it would slow down tremendously, but now It's much better

In general, I really like this update. Especially the fact that caches on the map turn to smileys RIGHT after logging them.

The only bug I've found (and my dad has the same problem) is that we use satellite view the majority of the time, but the app randomly reverts the view back to the street-map view...

Edited by jeffheif1

I don't know if this is the place to mention (or if someone else already mentioned it)....

After clicking FOUND and you enter a message - SAVE & CLOSE.

RE-OPEN the log and EDIT - noticed some things that you can't do while editing a log after being saved.

You can't VISIT a trackable (you can only Drop)

You can't add a Favorite point ....

I guess I just figured you should be able to do everything the same in the EDIT as you can on the original log entry.

Thanks!!

・ Share your finds on Facebook and Twitter

・ Easier to create an account and login

・ Login with your Facebook account

1. I already know my found count.

2. I don't use Twitter, or Facebook!

3. That's nice, but I created mine 10 years ago! I never had a problem the very few times I needed to log in.

4. Did I mention I HATE FACEBOOK!!

I don't think I'll be upgrading!!

Is there a way to get my iPhone and iPad apps to talk to each other? I use both iPhone and iPad in the field, but have to save each cache to my saved lists on each device seperatly as most of the time I'm caching out of 3G and am using a handheld GPS. Just curious. Love the new update! Especially the pocket query viewing.

I like the new update. Just have to get use to find where everything is on this one. I have a question about it though.

What happened to the "map it" option on the main front screen? Made hiding new caches so easy, you could hit map it.. Then take a screen shot for later use when you got ready to post the new cache. Please let me know if I'm overlooking it or will it be added.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in for us.

-777-

Hi all.

Like the new update even though I don't use twitter or facebook.

However...

I use the app on both iPhone and iPad, and the iPad is where I have a problem.

The title bars are sized to fit the iPhone which is lovely if you are using an iPhone, on the iPad they overwrite the screen about a third of the way down.

Really is annoying although doesn't effect the use of the app too much.

Did I mention that it is annoying?

Or the fact that it is REALLY annoying?

Anyone else experiencing the same?

I'm guessing an iPad version would be favourite!