How do I search for trackables in my area on geocaching.com?

wild4treasure

On the site, under 'Play' is 'Find Challenges' where you can input your area and find challenges nearby. Easy.

But the 'Find Trackables' link has no such search option. It shows a list and a map of all recent trackables, but from across the world, which isn't of much use if I am in another part of the world and can't get there (still working on getting that helicopter :rolleyes: ). If I zoom out, or go to another area, it doesn't show any trackables.

How do I find trackables in my area or close by that have dropped? Or is this not an option at all.

thx for any replies.

As far as i know its not an option. Keep in mind I am not a Premium yet, so there might be a way. What I do is find the local caches that are big enough to hold trackables and put them on my watch list. This way when someone logs a find I get an email, and then I can check the cache page to see if any are dropped. It's not perfect but it's a start.

On the site, under 'Play' is 'Find Challenges' where you can input your area and find challenges nearby. Easy.

But the 'Find Trackables' link has no such search option. It shows a list and a map of all recent trackables, but from across the world, which isn't of much use if I am in another part of the world and can't get there (still working on getting that helicopter :rolleyes: ). If I zoom out, or go to another area, it doesn't show any trackables.

How do I find trackables in my area or close by that have dropped? Or is this not an option at all.

thx for any replies.

At the bottom of your statistics page, it says "wild4treasure has not set up their home location so the Home Location statistics are not available at this time."

Try setting a "home location" in your profile, and see if that helps.

Go to http://www.geocaching.com/account/default.aspx and on the right-hand side is "Your Location". You can add coordinates of your home, or of a nearby cache, which is what we've got listed.

Then go to http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoin.aspx and hopefully you will see trackables near your location. This doesn't guarantee that those trackables are in those caches, by any means. So don't go running out looking for those trackables. Read the cache pages, and the trackable pages, to try and determine if the trackables are still there.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol
  • Upvote 1

thx for any replies.

At the bottom of your statistics page, it says "wild4treasure has not set up their home location so the Home Location statistics are not available at this time."

Try setting a "home location" in your profile, and see if that helps.

Go to http://www.geocaching.com/account/default.aspx and on the right-hand side is "Your Location". You can add coordinates of your home, or of a nearby cache, which is what we've got listed.

Then go to http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoin.aspx and hopefully you will see trackables near your location. This doesn't guarantee that those trackables are in those caches, by any means. So don't go running out looking for those trackables. Read the cache pages, and the trackable pages, to try and determine if the trackables are still there.

B.

Once you do a search for nearby caches, on the results page there's an Info field. If there's a trackable, there will be an icon in the Info field representing it.

If you become a Premium member, one of the filtering options for pocket queries is "Have Travel Bugs".

I am finding this site difficult to navigate. Where is this Info Field? I went to go look up a cache where I dropped a trackable, but there is no icon on the page.

And how do you do a search for nearby caches, besides dragging the map around manually and seeing where the caches are and then clicking each one?

oh, duh, just found the Info Field. lol. So I'll have to click on each cache and open it up and check? I was hoping the map would just post the icon on it.

Looking at caches one by one on the map will take forever. Instead, do a search for caches here using whichever criteria you wish, or if you want the caches closest to your home location, go here and click on "near your home location" on the right side. Once you have a list of caches, you'll see the "Info" column mentioned earlier (the 6th from the left). You'll see some firstaid-sm-yes.gif (Needs maintenance) and small_profile.gif (Premium members only). If you see any other icon in that column, it represents a trackable (or tb_coin.gif for multiple trackables). If a trackable has a unique icon, it will show here, so you'll see a lot of different icons. You can click on these icons right in the list, then click on the name of the trackable to go straight to its page, where you can decide if it really is in that cache anymore.

On 18/08/2012 at 3:43 PM, AZcachemeister said:

One thing to keep in mind is that just because there is an indicator that a trackable is in a cache, there may not actually be one there.

I find this is the case about 50% of the time. :(

This is true usually if, the last cacher to find the cache is also the one who put the Tb in the cache you might be onto something but if not it is unlikely.

Around '12 (when this thread started...) we still didn't see as many incorrect logs as we do today.  I wouldn't believe any trackable inventory these days, and just be surprised when you find one in a cache.  The last couple years we've spotted some in caches that were never in it's inventory, logged incorrectly.  Sometimes I'll Grab them, but most times I just Discover to let the TO know where it actually is (this time...).  Not all that gung-ho anymore to "fix" a bunch of trackables that haven't been accurate for six months or better.