Publishing Mega Events

milosheart

Are there guidelines for reviewers for duplicate dates when they're publishing Mega events?

We're very excited to be part of the team hosting the second ever Mega in Canada's Maritime provinces next July (GC3QME4) in Fredericton, New Brunswick. We're an hour drive from both the Houlton and Calais, Maine border crossings and hope to draw folks from all over the New England States, as well as Ontario and Quebec. We've already received many "will attends" from these areas.

We've just discovered that another Mega (GC3G4AY) has been published in Pittsfield, MA for the very same day. This one is much closer to most of the New England states and most of Ontario and Quebec so will draw from some of the same cacher pool.

I'm not writing this to complain about their Mega event, we wish them every success, but to ask why Groundspeak would allow 2 on the same day so close together. Yes, we're about 700kms apart but to cachers that's nothing. We'd consider going to the one in MA if we weren't going to the one here. Groundspeak is doing both Megas a disservice by forcing us to compete for vendors, sponsors and attendees. It's hard enough for us smaller and less populated areas to host these larger events and now, in this case, we both have to fight even harder to get the support we need to succeed.

Are there guidelines for this type of thing? Just curious.

I note that both events were published by one of the Groundspeak lackeys rather than one of the local reviewers.

I suppose such a clash was bound to happen one day, what with more and more Mega events occuring as geocaching becomes more popular. I understand your concerns, though - It sounds as though some negotiations regarding dates might be necessary.

MrsB

1. Groundspeak makes the determination whether to grant Mega Event status, not the volunteer cache reviewer.

2. In your example, the events are in different reviewer territories so the publishing reviewer wouldn't even be thinking about another Mega Event 100s of kilometres away. The publishing reviewer simply presses the button when told by Groundspeak to do so.

So yes, as advised above, I'd ask Groundspeak if you want to discuss this further.

What I *thought* you were going to ask about was "parasite" events near the Mega Event -- for example, a flash mob set up by one of the visitors to the Mega Event. These are judged by the reviewer like any other two events, based on whether the events are so separated by time and distance that they stand independently on their own merits.

It's not the reviewers fault. Both events achieved mega status on a previous event so they'll have it forever. It looks like one of them wasn't hosted last year. For future years it would probably be best for the organizers to of each to communicate with each other to prevent them from being the same day. Put them on back to back weekends would be cool.

It's not the reviewers fault. Both events achieved mega status on a previous event so they'll have it forever. It looks like one of them wasn't hosted last year. For future years it would probably be best for the organizers to of each to communicate with each other to prevent them from being the same day. Put them on back to back weekends would be cool.

This is the best answer I've ssen so far. Obviously different review territories, and different Countries even. I believe it's up to the organizers to contact each other.

Is it true you achieve Mega status, and never lose it? I won't mention any names, but I know of the this one "borderline Mega" who lobbied for it, got it, and always gets in under the "500+ attended" by counting family members and pets. OK, just kidding, I'm sure they really don't count pets. :ph34r:

This is the best answer I've ssen so far. Obviously different review territories, and different Countries even. I believe it's up to the organizers to contact each other.

Is it true you achieve Mega status, and never lose it? I won't mention any names, but I know of the this one "borderline Mega" who lobbied for it, got it, and always gets in under the "500+ attended" by counting family members and pets. OK, just kidding, I'm sure they really don't count pets. :ph34r:

As already noted, MegaEvents are not published by local reviewers:

I note that both events were published by one of the Groundspeak lackeys rather than one of the local reviewers.

I suppose such a clash was bound to happen one day, what with more and more Mega events occuring as geocaching becomes more popular. I understand your concerns, though - It sounds as though some negotiations regarding dates might be necessary.

MrsB

There used to be a thing about "event stacking", but I don't think the concern was about events that were hundreds of kilometers apart.

B.

Perhaps you could get together and make the 2 events on consecutive days so cachers could spend the weekend in the general area and attend both. The other event also has a lower GC number..

Although we are close enough to draw some of the same people we are too far apart to host on consecutive days. Plus, I believe we both have satellite events planned leading up to and after the Megas.

As already noted, MegaEvents are not published by local reviewers:

MrsB

There used to be a thing about "event stacking", but I don't think the concern was about events that were hundreds of kilometers apart.

B.

Oh, I'm such a putz. I do agree this is a little close for Mega's on the same day, especially for the one in Canada that relies on extra people who don't have their own accounts to meet the 500 attendees requirement. And no, that wasn't the "borderline" one I was pontificating about earlier. :laughing:

I don't suppose the Canadian one could be moved to the next day at this point? Because there really are people that drive hundreds of miles just to attend Mega events. Lots of them, actually. :)

Perhaps you could get together and make the 2 events on consecutive days so cachers could spend the weekend in the general area and attend both. The other event also has a lower GC number..

Attend a mega, drive 700 km then attend another all in 2 days? I don't know about you but 700 km apart is not the general same area to me, think of all the gas spent, I thought we were supposed to be environmentally responsible.

Now if they chartered 5 or so buses to go from one to the other you could party responsibly, save the environment and attend both.

Attend a mega, drive 700 km then attend another all in 2 days? I don't know about you but 700 km apart is not the general same area to me, think of all the gas spent, I thought we were supposed to be environmentally responsible.

Now if they chartered 5 or so buses to go from one to the other you could party responsibly, save the environment and attend both.

Agree that having them on consecutive days is probably a non-starter for a lot of folks - would still be one or the other.

But it would be cool if the organizers coordinated and had the events on consecutive weekends, and encouraged regional cachers to stage "bridging" events between the two locations during the week. I think that would bring vacationing cachers in droves to both places.

Edited by hydnsek

Agree that having them on consecutive days is probably a non-starter for a lot of folks - would still be one or the other.

But it would be cool if the organizers coordinated and had the events on consecutive weekends, and encouraged regional cachers to stage "bridging" events between the two locations during the week. I think that would bring vacationing cachers in droves to both places.

I think there are rest stops every 50 or so kms, you could have a 14 rest stop meet, greet and drive events on the way from one to the other, throw in an hotel meet and greet each night, count the megas, a few satellites and your looking at 30 event caches in 1 week.

Get 500people on board and you've got 30 megas.