Best glue to use?

Say somebody had acquired a good quality lock & lock style box and had decided to rough it, paint it and then glue natural foliage on... what glue would be best for that person to use?

I realise it'd probably need re-doing at some point as natural products will decay (although of course some amount will add to the look!), I'm planning on largely using either dead leaves or things that do surprisingly well when removed (Ivy for instance). I was wondering about something like http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=334903 - I am in the UK so may not be able to get all suggestions.

on something flat like a loc n loc I use a glue gun. I have put out a few using silk/fake plant pieces and they work very well and look real enough they get overlooked a lot even though it's become kind of an MO for me. Dead leaves are just going to crumble. Bark works well.

Have fun!

Edited by Scrabblers

For the caching DIY I've seen so far people seem to recommend Gorilla glue.

That works very well (follow its directions), and I've also had good luck with "Liquid Nails" and "Goop". Hot glue will deteriorate, get gummy and lose all its stickiness (at least it sure does around here in heat and humidity) but that might be perfect with natural foliage -- when the leaves and sticks wear out (every few months or so?), easily pull it all off, start over.

That works very well (follow its directions), and I've also had good luck with "Liquid Nails" and "Goop". Hot glue will deteriorate, get gummy and lose all its stickiness (at least it sure does around here in heat and humidity) but that might be perfect with natural foliage -- when the leaves and sticks wear out (every few months or so?), easily pull it all off, start over.

I've not had that problem with hot glue but I'll watch for it. A couple of mine, because of they way they are set up I've used "Great Stuff" :)

I've not had that problem with hot glue but I'll watch for it. A couple of mine, because of they way they are set up I've used "Great Stuff" :)

It would depend on the kind of hot glue, and if you're cheap like me :anicute:.

I bought a little tube of "All Temperature Repair Extreme" (costs 4 or 5x as much as Goop) which I'd think would be great outdoors, glue I'm saving for just the right application. But for attaching natural materials, most any glue might outlast grass or leaves.

I have a lock-n-lock just about ready to go, with natural bits (pods, sticks, bark) coated with Liquid Duct Tape and painted. I haven't tested it, but the idea is the covering won't rot soon.

Edited by kunarion

Say somebody had acquired a good quality lock & lock style box and had decided to rough it, paint it and then glue natural foliage on... what glue would be best for that person to use?

I realise it'd probably need re-doing at some point as natural products will decay (although of course some amount will add to the look!), I'm planning on largely using either dead leaves or things that do surprisingly well when removed (Ivy for instance). I was wondering about something like http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=334903 - I am in the UK so may not be able to get all suggestions.

It's hard to find glue that is both waterproof and safe for plastics. Some of the ones mentioned may be, I don't know.

I have stuck some natural (and unnatural) materials directly on the wet paint and that has worked pretty well too.

Gorilla Glue. My second hide was a decon container hung in an evergreen. I smeared GG all over it and rolled it around in pine needles and twigs. 7 YEARS LATER it still has some of the original camo stuck to it. I've also had good results using it to stick small magnets to the inside of a container.

Two part epoxy is another option. ...if GG then you definitely want to leave the clamp on whatever you're gluing as the Gorilla Glue will expand as it dries. Scratching up the surfaces (if plastics) might help the bond.

I don't clamp the materials, but I use some carefully placed hot glue to position everything around the container, which allows the good glue to set just the way I want.

Definitely liking gorilla glue, all in 1 is just easier for me than a 2-part epoxy.

Now just how much to buy... looking at £5 for 60ml which isn't an awful lot, £15 for 500ml, but I can get 1l for £20!

Just looked on their site and it says bonds most plastics, but not polypropylene or polythylene... and lock and locks are I believe all made of one or the other? http://uk.gorillaglue.com/eng/glues/glue-guide/2/

Just looked on their site and it says bonds most plastics, but not polypropylene or polythylene... and lock and locks are I believe all made of one or the other? http://uk.gorillaglue.com/eng/glues/glue-guide/2/

You're right, polypropylene. With those kinds of containers, you often can bend the plastic a little and crack all the covering off (glue, paint, everything). They arrive from the factory with a release agent that makes them slippery. Rough that up, hit it with acetone, whatever, to give the adhesive something to grip. "Plastic welding epoxy" for car bumpers is supposedly great for polypropylene. I haven't tried it. Some epoxy tends to melt plastic a little, so that would have a better adhesion.

Here's one of the glue suggestion web sites, pretty basic stuff: http://www.thistothat.com/

And here's a chart: http://www.mpsupplies.com/3madhesivechart.html

Edited by kunarion

I can recommend Construction Adhesive, it comes in caulking tubes. It's very strong so if you have any thoughts about attaching sticks or rocks, this is the stuff. For me, it's worked much better than Goop. I've used Gorrilla glue too, but only for light stuff. The thing I don't like about Gorrilla glue is the expanding, you need to watch it as it expands and make sure you stick something to the expanding part otherwsie the glue will be seen.

7810321946_4862fb726c_z.jpg

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Thanks all, can't seem to get goop over here anyway!

Have bought some gorilla glue (looks useful stuff anyway), maybe once the surface is roughened and painted it'll stick - if not, I'll have to buy something else and make more containers with the gorilla glue :D

That looks great Incredibles!!!

Have bought some gorilla glue (looks useful stuff anyway), maybe once the surface is roughened and painted it'll stick - if not, I'll have to buy something else and make more containers with the gorilla glue :D

You don't want to try to glue to a painted surface. Most likely the glue will stick very well to the paint and lift the paint from the surface. The surface shout be clean and slightly roughened, either mechanically (sanding, buffing, filing) or chemically with a solvent used sparingly.

You don't want to try to glue to a painted surface. Most likely the glue will stick very well to the paint and lift the paint from the surface. The surface shout be clean and slightly roughened, either mechanically (sanding, buffing, filing) or chemically with a solvent used sparingly.

Yes, there's no way you can put glue on top of paint and expect it to hold-been there-done that.

For preparation, you can remove the silicone layer with rubbing alcohol. Then rough up the surface with sandpaper or steel wool.

Then generous amount of adhesive, then your camo.

If there is a particaulr spot that needs painting, you can put a cloth in place to shield your camo and spray paint in that particular spot.

You can also use plain old dirt to fill in any bare spots.

Edited by The_Incredibles_