Found a Benchmark Not Listed on Site - Can We Log It?

timbee&suebee

After seeing some benchmarks near our past caching travels (but not realizing that they were log-able) and reading some about them on this site, we thought that we would start logging them as we came across them in the future. Yesterday on a caching trip we came across a benchmark by accident. It was set in the top of an old bridge (the cache was under the bridge). Since the cache listing didn't mention anything about a benchmark we took down the info and figured we would log it in with the caches. From the cache listing page (GC1TBMV - Curse of the FTF #4 - WLE - Clarkes Gap Bridge) I clicked on the link near the bottom of the page that says "find all nearby benchmarks". There was a long list but none of them was the one we spotted. This benchmark would have been within feet of the cache coordinates. All of these listed are almost a mile or more away.

So my question is, how do I find this benchmark to log it if I don't know the PID number?

After seeing some benchmarks near our past caching travels (but not realizing that they were log-able) and reading some about them on this site, we thought that we would start logging them as we came across them in the future. Yesterday on a caching trip we came across a benchmark by accident. It was set in the top of an old bridge (the cache was under the bridge). Since the cache listing didn't mention anything about a benchmark we took down the info and figured we would log it in with the caches. From the cache listing page (GC1TBMV - Curse of the FTF #4 - WLE - Clarkes Gap Bridge) I clicked on the link near the bottom of the page that says "find all nearby benchmarks". There was a long list but none of them was the one we spotted. This benchmark would have been within feet of the cache coordinates. All of these listed are almost a mile or more away.

So my question is, how do I find this benchmark to log it if I don't know the PID number?

Howdy Timbee and Suebee. First off, you may find lots of benchmarks in your travels, which won't be in the NGS or Geocaching database. This is an excerpt from the FAQ section linked below:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/

Benchmarks Not in the Database

I found a benchmark, but it isn't in the database. Why?

To answer this question, you need to understand a bit about what "the database" is. The database used by Geocaching.com is a copy (from around 2000) of the database that NGS maintains. Although the NGS database has lots of marks in it, it does not have them all. In order for a mark to get into NGS's database, it has to go through a process known as "bluebooking" which ensures the disk meets the minimum requirements to be of geodetic quality (aka the highest quality possible). The NGS is not the only organization that creates and uses benchmarks and other types of control markers. In order for any mark to get "in the database" they must be "bluebooked", which can take a lot of time and effort and is often not done to save money. Remember, even though some marks might not be in the database, they are still highly important, both to businesses and to individual citizens such as your neighbors, so please treat them with respect, while enjoying the thrill of the hunt. We'll try to find other databases and add them to the site as well. If you have access to one of these databases and would like to submit it to Groundspeak, contact us.

Since the Groundspeak benchmark database was obtained from the NGS in the year 2000, newer benchmarks and recent reports on older marks will not be visible here in Groundspeak's copy. Besides new disks, there are many cases of benchmarks monumented significantly before 2000 but entered the NGS database only after the year 2000.

The benchmark I found is not in the database, how can I log it?

If the benchmark is a disk-type marker or is referenced in an online database, you can log your find in the US Benchmarks category in Groundspeak's Waymarking site.

If the benchmark is in Canada, you can log it in the Canadian Benchmarks category in Waymarking.

Edited by LSUFan

You can do a search by what is stamped into the disk (designation). An example might be something like E 246

1.Go to the benchmark link at the bottom of geocaching.com.

2. Now click on the advanced search option at the bottom of the "Search for local benchmarks" box

3. Click the option to search by designation, and type in the designation you have. You might want to also narrow down the state too.

4. Click find benchmarks

Now, don't forget. Any benchmark HAS to have been bluebooked and in the NGS database by the year 2000 for it to be listed on gc.com (and thus loggable there). If it has never been bluebooked by the NGS.... or was added to their database after 2000, it will not show up on gc.com.

Edited by LSUFan

Don't think it is in the NGS database (unless it's non-pub or flagged as destroyed, both of which are possible) but if you post whatever info you have on it (pictures would help a lot) we might be able to tell what exactly it is. (My personal guess, based on the location and setting, is that it could be an old Army Corps of Engineers mark, and most of those aren't in the NGS database.) Didn't find anything in that spot on Waymarking.com or via U-Smart either.

Don't think it is in the NGS database (unless it's non-pub or flagged as destroyed, both of which are possible) but if you post whatever info you have on it (pictures would help a lot) we might be able to tell what exactly it is. (My personal guess, based on the location and setting, is that it could be an old Army Corps of Engineers mark, and most of those aren't in the NGS database.) Didn't find anything in that spot on Waymarking.com or via U-Smart either.

We did not take a photo of the benchmark because we didn't expect to need one. We figured that we would find it listed near the cache we found. We wrote down some of the info on the disk. The code number was 57HBC, year 1965, elevation 612'. The name on it (pretty sure - didn't write that down) was US Geological Survey. It was located on the top of an old stone bridge near Purcellville, VA.

Howdy Timbee and Suebee. First off, you may find lots of benchmarks in your travels, which won't be in the NGS or Geocaching database. This is an excerpt from the FAQ section linked below:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/

Benchmarks Not in the Database

I found a benchmark, but it isn't in the database. Why?

To answer this question, you need to understand a bit about what "the database" is. The database used by Geocaching.com is a copy (from around 2000) of the database that NGS maintains. Although the NGS database has lots of marks in it, it does not have them all. In order for a mark to get into NGS's database, it has to go through a process known as "bluebooking" which ensures the disk meets the minimum requirements to be of geodetic quality (aka the highest quality possible). The NGS is not the only organization that creates and uses benchmarks and other types of control markers. In order for any mark to get "in the database" they must be "bluebooked", which can take a lot of time and effort and is often not done to save money. Remember, even though some marks might not be in the database, they are still highly important, both to businesses and to individual citizens such as your neighbors, so please treat them with respect, while enjoying the thrill of the hunt. We'll try to find other databases and add them to the site as well. If you have access to one of these databases and would like to submit it to Groundspeak, contact us.

Since the Groundspeak benchmark database was obtained from the NGS in the year 2000, newer benchmarks and recent reports on older marks will not be visible here in Groundspeak's copy. Besides new disks, there are many cases of benchmarks monumented significantly before 2000 but entered the NGS database only after the year 2000.

The benchmark I found is not in the database, how can I log it?

If the benchmark is a disk-type marker or is referenced in an online database, you can log your find in the US Benchmarks category in Groundspeak's Waymarking site.

If the benchmark is in Canada, you can log it in the Canadian Benchmarks category in Waymarking.

Thanks for the info. This benchmark wasn't in the list but I learned more info for future benchmarking.

We did not take a photo of the benchmark because we didn't expect to need one. We figured that we would find it listed near the cache we found. We wrote down some of the info on the disk. The code number was 57HBC, year 1965, elevation 612'. The name on it (pretty sure - didn't write that down) was US Geological Survey. It was located on the top of an old stone bridge near Purcellville, VA.

Knowing it's a USGS disk clears things up, they've never digitized their database so, other then USGS disks that have also been added to the NGS database (or other local databases) there is no digital database for that disk. Some of those have been added to Waymarking.com. Data for that mark is likely stored away in a filling cabinet somewhere.