Hints

Hi

We are now up to over 150 finds and we still look at the hints, lets start a discussion.....

Do you use the hints and at what experience level does anyone class it as making it too easy??

I sometimes think "we'll not look at the hint this time" but then I'm usually sooo eager to get onto the next cache , or we are running tight on time we have a sneaky peek, it makes it so much easier but when does it make it too easy??

Heavens yes.

They are especially important in species sensitive areas to minimize or eliminate GEO-THRASHING of an area.

Numerous State parks in N.W. Calif. have allowed caches back in with very strict controls.

Clear concise MEANINGFUL hints go a long way to attain / maintain positive Land Owner / Manager relationships.

Use the hints

Hmmmm I still do tend to look (50 finds) - it's a dodgy line especially as some hints tell you exactly where it is rather than just giving an extra hint. I don't think it makes it too easy though - if you're stuck and want the hint it's you're choice, there's no special prize for not looking after all!

I use them a lot. It doesn't matter how much experience you have, there is nothing worse than logging a DNF then looking at a hint that would have helped make the find. It seems like only 50% of owners give hints and of that 50% are more cryptical than helpful. Not very often is the hint a true spoiler and if they are, they are needed to make the find.

Most of the folks I have cached with use the hint as part of the given information before even starting to look. Unless I have lost the info or forgotten a hint is there, I admit I always use it.

If it is there I use it. I won't start on useless "too easy for a hint" hints.

When I first started out, I checked the hint before I even got out of the car, or was on the path, etc.

Now I'll take a crack at looking for the cache first without the hint, then with the hint.

If I still can't find it using the hint, I'll check the photo gallery to see if there is a photo of the container so I know what I am really looking for (if it's not mentioned in the cache listing).

Most of the folks I have cached with use the hint as part of the given information before even starting to look. Unless I have lost the info or forgotten a hint is there, I admit I always use it.

That about sums it up for me too. I'll almost always read the hint on the way to GZ. The times I don't read it is probably because the cache name or description have already told me enough that I'm fairly certain I know how and where it's hidden.

Hey, it's there, why not use it?

I read the hint when the search stops being fun without the hint. For caches in busy locations, I often read the hint immediately, so I can minimize the attention I draw to the cache.

That's it. In the city, I sometimes read the hint before I even get to GZ. I want to be in and out ASAP, not so I can get to the next cache but so I don't attract undue attention. Today, on the trail, I found 8 caches and had to resort to the hint on only one of them. I am very low impact. I do not trample or thrash through stuff and can usually find a cache with my eyes instead of my hands. If I've exhausted all ideas, or it looks like I'll have to go off trail, then I'll read the hint. There's no sense in being 30' off the trail and finally reading the hint that says "reachable from the trail".

I usually look at the hint. For me, the game is about being introduced to new areas, so when I get there I want to just find the cache and move on. However, if it is an especially nice spot and I want to explore a little anyway, I won't look at the hint. Often I find the cache just because I'm investigating something cool that the hider thought was interesting too!

About 95% of the time the cache is missing when I get a DNF log on cache with really good hints. I own 6 freeway caches and those people are in a HURRY, so get right to the point with your hints. My goal is for people to get a smiley in a state or county. I get fair logs from freeway travelers, some really make me laugh or make my day. People at rest stop are way too curios and if someone is searching for my caches for too long, people will noticed it and wonder whats going on. The faster they find it and leave, the better its. I know a few CO that got really hard hide and they tend to go MIA too often.

Being helpful really goes a long way. Take my word for it.

I rated all my caches of what it looks like to a newbie. I got some caches that is really easy for people with 100's of finds, but its tricky for newbies, so I used a good hint and rated it correctly. I get some interesting logs from newbies.

Do I used hints? Yes, its very helpful and get me moving. Bad hints or lame hint get lame logs from me or a lame DNF log.

Edited by SwineFlew

Hints should really be just that. If you want your cache to be found often you might consider modifying the cache page description to do what you can to assist most cachers to find your cache. If your cache is evil or somewhat evil your hint may be "helpful" as you see fit. "no hint needed" is simply annoying. I have several well off the beaten path urban caches. I try to guide cachers to the spot because I want them to find the cache. I have a fairly challenging urban micro that I do not provide any hint. I will give a hint if someone asks after posting a DNF. The hide is worth it.