Dumb log statement?

wally_k

you are not always right, but often your guesses are.

You see a M 1.5/1.5 or a NC 1.5/1.5 and its a parking lot of a business, it does not feel like ESP to know its a LPC, especially if its a Rite Aid drug store in our area.

I just found an urban cache at a business. Looked and looked, but when I saw a certain object, I knew it was the cache...because I found the exact same hide style a yer ago.

I use a version of that statement when we come across a somewhat unique hide that would have been tough for us had we not found one similarly. It's not ESP, it's a "learning curve." For CG2QH2C I wrote a version of this statement as follows: "We happened across a similarly well-done cache in Waterville, Ohio so we might have had an advantage on this one." I don't think it's "dumb" to write that, since it just explains how we might have found a cache that might otherwise have been difficult I we hadn't already had to find one like it.

Well, let's see...We DNFd our first LPC. After we found one, we knew what we were looking for. The same goes with pinecones and magnetic signs/numbers on electrical service boxes. Magnetic key holders on guardrails fall into this category. So, it's really not dumb or ESP, rather experience.

I had the same experience with all of those examples. Except after the first one I knew what I was looking for and chose not to look for it.

I often see "Luckily had seen this type before so had an idea of what I was looking for." in a log. Isn't this ESP? You know what you are looking for before you even see it?

I've actually written something to this effect a few times. After having found as many caches as we have, we get to expect certain cache types for certain locations and when we drive up to an area, we say "I bet it's a xxx" and sure enough it is. I'd love to be proven wrong though. It would be so great to drive up to a typical cache location and be surprised by the cache container.

I often see "Luckily had seen this type before so had an idea of what I was looking for." in a log. Isn't this ESP? You know what you are looking for before you even see it?

Not necessarily ESP. Like if you are looking for a cache in a parking lot, you might expect to find a LPC. Or if the cache is titled "This cache rocks" you may know full well you're looking for a fake rock.

When I'm caching with others I love to hear them say "Oh I bet I know what it is" as we head to ground zero...I always tell them that when they make up their mind before they see the search area they are half way to a DNF. I am guilty of it myself...it is a hard habit to break...If you go looking for something and it's not there then your mind gets locked to the other possibilities...it often makes 1.5/1.5's very difficult!

When I'm caching with others I love to hear them say "Oh I bet I know what it is" as we head to ground zero...I always tell them that when they make up their mind before they see the search area they are half way to a DNF. I am guilty of it myself...it is a hard habit to break...If you go looking for something and it's not there then your mind gets locked to the other possibilities...it often makes 1.5/1.5's very difficult!

That is so very true - been there, done that, so many times I should have a complete outfit, not just the T-shirt!