Can someone explain it?

There was a cacher that had lived here, but a few years ago moved to the other side of the country. He was involved in a few minor controversies at the time. Someone mentioned him back in January for some reason, and I checked and noticed his profile said "Banned Member", and I don't know the reason why. The other day he sent me an e-mail asking if I could tell him how to solve a puzzle of mine. He wasn't banned anymore, has already found and solved the puzzle over 5 years ago, lives hundreds of miles away, but now wants a refresher on how he solved it. It's not a difficult puzzle, but rather long and drawn out and only gives a message that the cache actually is at the posted coordinates.

He says its to update his files, but I suspect that perhaps it's to add it to a database somewhere that violates the TOU by giving away answers. Please don't name names, but could I be correct? :ph34r:

sounds tricky..

I must say I did not always keep solutions, notes, or even finals stored in a good safe way in the good old days..

I learned after some years, how to correct cords, and to store important notes on the cache page,

he could be just as bad with his notes as I was :-)

so he could be perfectly clean, if you know what I mean..

but why should he ask for finals, for puzzles, he allready found and signed,

he dont even live in the area anymore, I will simply ignore his request,

or kindly ask him why, if you feel you got time ?

Edited by OZ2CPU

There was a cacher that had lived here, but a few years ago moved to the other side of the country. He was involved in a few minor controversies at the time. Someone mentioned him back in January for some reason, and I checked and noticed his profile said "Banned Member", and I don't know the reason why. The other day he sent me an e-mail asking if I could tell him how to solve a puzzle of mine. He wasn't banned anymore, has already found and solved the puzzle over 5 years ago, lives hundreds of miles away, but now wants a refresher on how he solved it. It's not a difficult puzzle, but rather long and drawn out and only gives a message that the cache actually is at the posted coordinates.

He says its to update his files, but I suspect that perhaps it's to add it to a database somewhere that violates the TOU by giving away answers. Please don't name names, but could I be correct? :ph34r:

Obviously this person is up to something. I wouldn't get involved, if I were you.

I would forward the email to Groundspeak, with this explanation and the username of the banned one, and wash your hands of the whole thing.

B.

Someone just emailed me a link to a Facebook and said there was some NJ puzzles listed. I saw a few in NM and CA, so perhaps that is it? It has 53 friends but doesnt indicate the owner. If I friend it, could I get banned? :ph34r:

I think privately sharing answers is fine, but posting them in a public place would not be.

Edited by Keystone

I cant imagine reporting someone to GS because they asked how to solve your puzzle. You do not have to respond. Maybe he has all the puzzle answers in GSAK and can't remember yours. The folks around here who have all the puzzle and multi final locations in GSAK have a nice advantage hiding caches or knowing where new puzzles are not....maybe he will be visiting the area again as he used to live there. Who knows. The choice is yours to respond, does not sound nefarious to me in itself. Just do not give it away if you are getting bad vibes.

I'm not going to report it, I just wanted to know why, and the Facebook account seems to explain it.

For me this is just one of several possible explanations. This kind of situation is by the way also one of the reasons why I do think that cachers who share

puzzle solutions or finals of multi caches are creating harm that goes beyond what can be summed up by "let them play their way and do not care".

One impact of the behaviour of those cheaters is that many honest people become suspects as well. I never keep final coordinates of whatever caches I visit and it can well happen that I ask for them at later times for various harmless and sincere reasons.

Cezanne

I'm not going to report it, I just wanted to know why, and the Facebook account seems to explain it.

If it's posted here, then it's public and can be discussed here. TPTB can do what they wish.

DO TPTB really have any jurisdiction over these types of things? Didn't they get into pickle juice over banning swen over videos that wasn't really their place to tell people what they can and cannot post on youtube?

I know if a couple of FB pages - one that lists TB#'s to be "discovered" a puzzle spoiler and some cache spoilers. (Not that I agree with any of it, but i am not sure where Groundspeak can go outside its own domain). maybe i am wrong...

Edited by Keystone

If it's posted here, then it's public and can be discussed here. TPTB can do what they wish.

DO TPTB really have any jurisdiction over these types of things? Didn't they get into pickle juice over banning swen over videos that wasn't really their place to tell people what they can and cannot post on youtube?

I know if a couple of FB pages - one that lists TB#'s to be "discovered" a puzzle spoiler and some cache spoilers. (Not that I agree with any of it, but i am not sure where Groundspeak can go outside its own domain). maybe i am wrong...

It seems to be a violation of the TOU, but I don't know if it could be considered protected information enough for Facebook to care.

Edited by Keystone

I cant imagine reporting someone to GS because they asked how to solve your puzzle. You do not have to respond. Maybe he has all the puzzle answers in GSAK and can't remember yours. The folks around here who have all the puzzle and multi final locations in GSAK have a nice advantage hiding caches or knowing where new puzzles are not....maybe he will be visiting the area again as he used to live there. Who knows. The choice is yours to respond, does not sound nefarious to me in itself. Just do not give it away if you are getting bad vibes.

Did you miss this important piece of information I've bolded:

Why would a banned member need help solving puzzles that he had already solved, and presumably found the cache?

Not for any "legitimate" reason that I can think of.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Did you miss this important piece of information I've bolded:

Why would a banned member need help solving puzzles that he had already solved, and presumably found the cache?

B.

See post 14. Though, I can't imagine going back through my files filling in missed information. I am sure there are a lot of holes.

I checked that site for the first time and I can see 4wheelin Fool's puzzle on the site.

You said " He was involved in a few minor controversies at the time." So it lead me to ask this question, what did you do to him that get him to release your puzzle information?

Edited by SwineFlew

Well, Keystone just removed from the thread all specific references to that particular Facebook page without comment, and the puzzle that the previously banned member had asked me about has appeared on the account with a link to the solution.

It appears that either my hunch was correct, or a total cooincidence. :D

Strangely it also appears that Keystone is protecting the Facebook account, which is friended with a notorious forum member. :ph34r::rolleyes:

I checked that site for the first time and I can see 4wheelin Fool's puzzle on the site.

You said " He was involved in a few minor controversies at the time." So it lead me to ask this question, what did you do to him that get him to release your puzzle information?

Nothing at all.

Just checking. Thank you.

Nothing at all.

He was FTF on a paddle to by not using a boat and trespassing on RR property which riled up the CO. Then he created a difficult puzzle that he figured nobody could solve, so he didn't hide a cache, which upset the cacher who had spent lots of time solving and looking for it. When he left the area they blamed him for the Ape cache in VA disappearance which was at the same time, although there was no evidence. Then when the one on WA disappeared, someone else claimed it was him, as he was allegedly in the area. I have never met him, nor exchanged emails.

Nothing at all.

He was FTF on a paddle to by not using a boat and trespassing on RR property which riled up the CO. Then he created a difficult puzzle that he figured nobody could solve, so he didn't hide a cache, which upset the cacher who had spent lots of time solving and looking for it. When he left the area they blamed him for the Ape cache in VA disappearance which was at the same time, although there was no evidence. Then when the one on WA disappeared, someone else claimed it was him, as he was allegedly in the area. I have never met him, nor exchanged emails.

Oh the blaming game just because people dont like him. Typical of the human race. No proof here, move on. <_<

Will just keep the quoting low. You said I missed something, but I say you missed something in what I said....I said perhaps he is coming back to the area and wants to have all the puzzles in his database complete. There was a time when I tried to get all the puzzles inputted into my GSAK database so I had them in one place (vs paper copy) but I messed that up and won't try again. Perhaps he was trying to do that and moving back. I do not know, its all just a guess, just coming up with a possible reason. Either way, its just blowing in the wind.

Nothing at all.

Oh the blaming game just because people dont like him. Typical of the human race. No proof here, move on. <_<

+1

Nothing at all.

That's what I thought when the Ape caches were mentioned. He was guilty of a few minor annoying things, but nothing like that.

But since he just asked me about a specific puzzle, and as of today, the answer is visible on Facebook, he either is behind it, or the cacher with the profile knew which puzzle I was talking about and added it to make it appear it was him. Either way, the database of puzzle answers still exists.

:drama:

Usually when someone makes that many accusations about one person, there is a lot of evidence that is not passed around. He may be guilty or innocent, but we can't tell from this thread, so I'm not going to place judgements.

I'm just sayin that just because 4 wheelin doesn't write up the evidence, doesn't mean it's not there.

Well nothin like a little drama excitement in the geocaching community.

Do you think he's reading this thread and getting a charge out of it?

I just wanted to add that i purposely didn't say who it is, I only mentioned what I knew about him since Swineflu asked such an odd question of whether he added my puzzle answer to the database because of the minor controversies. There are several dozen puzzle answers from all over the country added to it and it would be highly unusual for anyone to do that out of animosity for each person. The FTF incident along with the nonexistent cache did occur, but not to me. He is also not old enough to be in Dealy plaza behind the grassy knoll, if that answers any more questions..

There are 3 socially acceptable choices when you need help with a puzzle.

• Ask the owner.
  • Ask another cacher you know.
  • Ignore the cache

Posting the entire solution in a public area by sneaking behind the owner's back is not very nice.

Ask someone you don't know who found it.

Or try to find someone else who is working on it to join forces with.

Thus creating new connections.

I generally use your option #3. :D

"Then he created a difficult puzzle that he figured nobody could solve, so he didn't hide a cache, which upset the cacher who had spent lots of time solving and looking for it. "

That might have been me - so I can't resist commenting! (But it was over 7 years ago - I think I'm over it by now)

Posting puzzle solutions on line - petty and lame.

Passing puzzle solutions in the background - common, almost expected.

Naming names - I would love to - and it should be done - as we all should know, the truth will set us free. But I would like to do a little research before I make that commitment.

But the same two letters keep coming to mind. Perhaps its in some obscure code known to geocachers.

Time fot this issue to be put to rest. Let's all go out and find some geocaches!

"Then he created a difficult puzzle that he figured nobody could solve, so he didn't hide a cache, which upset the cacher who had spent lots of time solving and looking for it. "

That might have been me - so I can't resist commenting! (But it was over 7 years ago - I think I'm over it by now)

Naming names - I would love to - and it should be done - as we all should know, the truth will set us free. But I would like to do a little research before I make that commitment.

But the same two letters keep coming to mind. Perhaps its in some obscure code known to geocachers.

Time fot this issue to be put to rest. Let's all go out and find some geocaches!

Well Dennis, that incident that happened to you could be the same one I was referring to, or it could be another one with a different cacher. ;)

Either way I still don't enjoy someone asking for help and lying about the reason. I actually really don't mind the puzzle being posted there, but receiving an absurd reason for an answer from a previously banned member takes the cake.

Well Dennis, that incident that happened to you could be the same one I was referring to, or it could be another one with a different cacher. ;)

Either way I still don't enjoy someone asking for help and lying about the reason. I actually really don't mind the puzzle being posted there, but receiving an absurd reason for an answer from a previously banned member takes the cake.

Mark,

Or there could have been multiple incidents - would not surprise me at all knowing the Usual Suspect.

And there may be multiple posters on that facebook page - judging by the number of puzzles that are continuing to be posted.

As for being lied to - that sucks. That kind behavior will ruin a person's reputation. At this point the Usual Suspect has none left in the SNJ caching community. Thankfully he is long gone from our neighborhood. Now if we could package up all the chiggers and forward them to our "friend" for his enjoyment!

Dennis

Boy that story sounds familiar. A well known cacher in my area had clashes with another cacher who ended up being restricted (Banned). Now after a very long time that cacher is back and my friends caches are slowly disappearing. I don't know if his puzzles are also being attacked but it seems like some who get restricted tend to lash back at the ones who caused it.

Boy that story sounds familiar. A well known cacher in my area had clashes with another cacher who ended up being restricted (Banned). Now after a very long time that cacher is back and my friends caches are slowly disappearing. I don't know if his puzzles are also being attacked but it seems like some who get restricted tend to lash back at the ones who caused it.

Why would this cacher wait to be reinstated to go and steal your friends caches?

Why would this cacher wait to be reinstated to go and steal your friends caches?

Being banned most likely discouraged them from all caching. Now that their caching OCD is restarted it is bringing back memories for them. If the cacher previously lived in NJ it could be the same person that I spoke about. :ph34r: