Upgrade from Legend to Oregon 450

mapguy56

Not much of my knowledge from my Legend seems to transfer to the Oregon 450.

It is nice, being color and having a data card, and the touch screen will be nice on the motorcycle (if it works with gloves on [it does!]), but otherwise I am having a really hard time figuring out the basics.

(I tried the Garman Oregon Wiki, too. Unimpressed with that site.)

What I am trying to do is pan the map to an area away from my home location (where I am now - this thing doesn't seem to have an "operate with satellite off" mode, either), and mark a waypoint at a location away from home (that has no address) that I want to navigate to.

Help?

Thanks.

First thing, purchase and install a screen protector - I have a ZAGG - excellent and well worth the investment.

Do a "Profile change" and select how you want to navigate/display. If you wish the navigation arrow to stay on the road, select "Automotive" then go to "Routing" Select "Lock on Road" (I haven't tried this on the "motorcycle Mode" under "activity").

Demo mode (satellite off) - "Setup" then 'System" then "GPS" then "Demo Mode"

Back to main screen and select map. Press a finger on the screen and move your finger and the map scrolls.

If you find a place you are looking for, press the screen at that location. A red pin will show as well as a description on the top of the screen. Press the description and on the bottom of the screen you will see three choices; the exit arrow, a flag in the middle and a GREEN GO. Press the flag and you can save the point as a waypoint. Press again and you can edit the waypoint and give it a name.

From the main menu select "Where to" then "Waypoints" and you can go there either in the demo mode or for real.

I used to own a Garmin Legend, but the Oregon is much more advanced and versatile. Spend some time searching out its many features including downloading and going to a geotagged photo - neat stuff.

Thanks phlatlander - you made my night!

I will definitely get one of those ZAGGs. Probably one for my iPod too, if the cheapie from Amazon never arrives.

Speaking of screen protectors on iPods, a coworker just removed his after many years and he couldn't believe the difference in brightness.

I bought one of those military-grade iPod cases and it had a built-in screen protector on it. It made the screen WAY too dark, and I play a lot of "solitaire" (Spades & Backgammon) at work, so that wasn't going to make it. I returned the case, and then a couple of days later my iPod fell out of my shirt pocket onto the concrete. Yep - cracked upper r-h corner glass. 121071864.jpg But everything still works and it is in the "black zone", so other than my pride not too much has been lost. Trouble is, with that H-D case on, I could not plug in my old school speaker plug. It is too big where you grab the plug. Nowadays, everything is made with a slim plug. But the iPod doesn't generate enough power to play music loudly. Need powered speakers. 145415696.jpg

Thanks again for the really helpful tips. I really did try the downloaded manual, first. :huh: