Did caches always require reviewing prior to publication?

Beach_hut

See title... :unsure: :unsure:

The reason I ask is that we've been looking at a challenge cache that requires you to have found caches by 10 different reviewers, which has sent us on a hunt through our old cache finds.

I notice our oldest one of all, Holkham Haul GC1984, placed 24th Aug 2001, doesn't appear to show a published log?

Now it most probably is our browser being awkward, and not scrolling down far enough, but it scrolled down as far as a log from 9th Sept 2001.

It got me wondering though, before GC.com/Groundspeak got established as it is today, when geocaching was a very new thing, did caches always require a review, or was there a time when people put forward caches without a reviewer looking at them, hence there being no publish log as we know it today (?)

Who doesn't mind admitting they've been around long enough to remember? :P

Not sure when it happened, but the older caches do not have a published log like now. They were reviewed before publishing, just no log. In the very early days of the site I believe Jeremy himself reviewed the caches. The lack of a publish log just indicates that A) the CO deleted the log or B) they were not used at that time. In the really old days, they were published on sci.sat.nav (?) but shortly lists popped up and then the websites.

Edited by jholly

I could've sworn that at one time, cache pages said "Reviewed By: Xxxx" in the tiny print at the bottom, along with the more current "Rendered from:Unknown" blooper.

I suppose they quietly removed the "Reviewed By" text after the appearance of Published logs, which made it moot. The latter came along in about 2006 I believe; they weren't in place when I started caching in 2005.

My first published reviewer log was from 2005. My cache from 2004 did not have one.

Sounds about right, and I'm sure you've checked the listings, so I won't bother on my own.

Someone will have to come along and verify this for me, but I'm under the impression J.I. reviewed every cache himself that was submitted to this website after it went live in September, 2000, and up until the time he appointed his first volunteer reviewer.

See title... :unsure: :unsure:

The reason I ask is that we've been looking at a challenge cache that requires you to have found caches by 10 different reviewers, which has sent us on a hunt through our old cache finds.

I notice our oldest one of all, Holkham Haul GC1984, placed 24th Aug 2001, doesn't appear to show a published log?

Now it most probably is our browser being awkward, and not scrolling down far enough, but it scrolled down as far as a log from 9th Sept 2001.

It got me wondering though, before GC.com/Groundspeak got established as it is today, when geocaching was a very new thing, did caches always require a review, or was there a time when people put forward caches without a reviewer looking at them, hence there being no publish log as we know it today (?)

Who doesn't mind admitting they've been around long enough to remember? :P

I was so busy pontificating my theory that J.I. reviewed all caches himself before hiring Mount10Bike or Mtn-Man, that I didn't actually read the OP. At least I admit to not reading the OP, most people who obviously didn't, don't. :)

Well, if the reviewer published this challenge, fine and dandy, but publish logs did not appear until 2005, as stated. The only person that can see who published their pre-2005 published cache is the cache owner (it's in small print down at the bottom of the cache page). Great if you have an active pre-2005 cache placer, who wants to be pestered and go out of their way to find it (most probably don't know where it is themselves) and tell you. That's IF the cache owner is active, and answers an email. Chances are many are not.

EDIT: Here ya' go:

7791605786_8be51e58c4_c.jpg

Edited by Mr.Yuck

To further narrow this down, I DO HAVE a published log on a 9/11/05 placement. I DO NOT have a published log on a 7/10/05 placement.

EDIT since the OP is from the UK. I mean I do have it on a September 2005 placement, I do not have it on a July placement. :P

Edited by Mr.Yuck

To further narrow this down, I DO HAVE a published log on a 9/11/05 placement. I DO NOT have a published log on a 7/10/05 placement. :)

And to narrow it even further, I just did a search in my GSAK database of all the local caches. The first cache to have a publish log was published on July 30, 2005. There's a cache that was published on July 27, 2005 (based on the date of the FTF and STF logs) that does not have a publish log. So, they started somewhere between July 27 and July 30, 2005.

To narrow it down even MORE further, the first day when caches had "published" logs was July 28, 2005. That was my first one, and I tend to publish at least one cache per day. (The last day when I didn't publish a cache was because of a backpacking trip that took me out of cellphone range in August 2009.)

When I became a reviewer in May 2003, there were already around 25 volunteer cache reviewers. Around 10 of those pioneers are still active.

The easiest way to complete that challenge is to travel across state lines. I live in Southwest PA, and within two hours' drive I can be in West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio or New York. Thorough searching will disclose that at least 15 regular reviewers have covered territory within that two hour radius, not counting "roaming" or "substitute" reviewers. Also, search for caches near logical dividing lines of longitude and latitude within a state. For years, the north/south divide for sharing review territory in my home state of Pennsylvania has been N41 degrees.

To narrow it down even MORE further, the first day when caches had "published" logs was July 28, 2005. That was my first one, and I tend to publish at least one cache per day. (The last day when I didn't publish a cache was because of a backpacking trip that took me out of cellphone range in August 2009.)

When I became a reviewer in May 2003, there were already around 25 volunteer cache reviewers. Around 10 of those pioneers are still active.

The easiest way to complete that challenge is to travel across state lines. I live in Southwest PA, and within two hours' drive I can be in West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio or New York. Thorough searching will disclose that at least 15 regular reviewers have covered territory within that two hour radius, not counting "roaming" or "substitute" reviewers. Also, search for caches near logical dividing lines of longitude and latitude within a state. For years, the north/south divide for sharing review territory in my home state of Pennsylvania has been N41 degrees.

Hey, I can vouch for that substitute reviewer thing:

7792258814_fc1c61505e_b.jpg

It should be noted the OP is from The UK. There has been some turnover there, but I'd think you'd pretty much have had to find caches on the Mainland to qualify for the challenge they refer to. I'd like to see the link, if anyone has it.

Thanks all.

I've worked out we do qualify without needing to look at Holkham Haul, so if moun10bike reviewed that one that would be 11. There are probably many more, (in fact I know there's at least one more), but I was going through the laborious process of picking caches at random and scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page to look for the published log. Didn't find it on some of the older caches which is probably explained by the replies.

The challenge in question, if anyone's interested, is GC3KY8E.

Edit: our qualifying 10 didn't include any from overseas (not cached outside mainland UK yet), but does include caches we've found from England, Scotland and Wales.

Edited by Beach_hut

Challenge cache? Are there many of them?

It looks as if the one being discussed is a mystery.

This sounds like something interesting I might like to do

"Challenge Caches" are categorized under the ? Unknown" cache type.

Help Center → Geocaching → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache:

4.15. Challenge Caches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

B.

Challenge cache? Are there many of them?

It looks as if the one being discussed is a mystery.

This sounds like something interesting I might like to do

"Challenge Caches" are categorized under the ? Unknown" cache type.

Help Center → Geocaching → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache:

4.15. Challenge Caches

http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=206

B.

Handy info..thanks :)