Won a contest

We've only just started GeoCaching about a month ago and the entire family is hooked. While reading here, and just Googling around for GC related stuff, I came across a photo contest that the National Recreation and Park Association was having. So I posted a pic of my son finding his first cache about 3 weeks ago. I just received an email from them saying that we won! They're sending us a Magellan GC eXplorist GPS!

We've only just started GeoCaching about a month ago and the entire family is hooked. While reading here, and just Googling around for GC related stuff, I came across a photo contest that the National Recreation and Park Association was having. So I posted a pic of my son finding his first cache about 3 weeks ago. I just received an email from them saying that we won! They're sending us a Magellan GC eXplorist GPS!

Very nice, congratulations! I do not see the contest, but I'll assume that's because it's over. I think you'll enjoy the GC. Unless of course it's a downgrade from what you're already using.

Very nice, congratulations! I do not see the contest, but I'll assume that's because it's over. I think you'll enjoy the GC. Unless of course it's a downgrade from what you're already using.

Yea the contest was taken down when it ended. I'm assuming they'll be posting the winners once they all have been contacted. The were 5 units being awarded. We've been using my smartphone (Droid Bionic) so this should be a better fit.

Yea the contest was taken down when it ended. I'm assuming they'll be posting the winners once they all have been contacted. The were 5 units being awarded. We've been using my smartphone (Droid Bionic) so this should be a better fit.

Eh, over in the getting started forum, I've seen quite a few people who have "upgraded" from Smartphones to an Explorist GC, unhappy with the fact that this lower-end dedicated GPS receiver (and it's not the cheapest on the market, but close) has a differential compass, not an electronic compass. This means you have to be moving, for it to accurately point you to the cache. When you stop, the compass arrow will move around. If it's any consolation, I've only owned lower-end GPS units for my entire 9 year career, none of which had an electronic compass. It works fine, and you can definitely get used to it.

But enough about that stuff, you won a prize worth $150, and it's a great picture. Congratulations again. :)

We came in forth place I think. The unit will be for the kids to use. I don't know about you but it was hard to get people to vote on facebook even though everyone is on there.

We came in forth place I think. The unit will be for the kids to use. I don't know about you but it was hard to get people to vote on facebook even though everyone is on there.

Yea it was hard getting people to vote. Out of all the family members that posted on Facebook asking for votes, that had to be around 2000 total friends. Out of that we got 39 votes! LOL Congratulations!