Geocaching in Europe

Ymana

I will be travelling to several countries in Europe over the next couple of months and wondering if other English speaking geocaching travellers have a quick way of translating the cache descriptions and clues. Dont have a lot of time and only want to do a few caches at some stops.

Not that I've tried myself but I wonder if google translate may be of assistance? I've noticed that many cache pages in touristy areas do have their cache written in several languages, but with ones that don't google translate might help you get a rough idea of what to look for.

I use the Add-on "Google Translator" for the Browser Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-translator-for-firefox/?src=ss

The add-on adds a button to the browsers toolbar. When clicked it translates the whole page into the target language (i.e. English). Alternatively I can select some text of the web page and a button-click replaces the text with the translated version (some formatting may be lost).

I will be travelling to several countries in Europe over the next couple of months and wondering if other English speaking geocaching travellers have a quick way of translating the cache descriptions and clues. Dont have a lot of time and only want to do a few caches at some stops.

Depending on which countries you'll be visiting, you may not need to do any translation as many caches already include an English version of the description and clues.

If that's not the case, I second what abiherts said - google translate is a good enough tool if you have access to it while geocaching. Otherwise there are apps for smartphones that translate texts into English. The translated text will sound a bit funny, but it's usually good enough to be intelligible.

I use the Add-on "Google Translator" for the Browser Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-translator-for-firefox/?src=ss

The add-on adds a button to the browsers toolbar. When clicked it translates the whole page into the target language (i.e. English). Alternatively I can select some text of the web page and a button-click replaces the text with the translated version (some formatting may be lost).

Thanks never knew about that Add-on. Seems to do a decent job.