Replacing containers?

Germerican7612

I am a real newbie, and I am wondering if a hide could accommodate a much bigger container without risking being muggled, is it okay to replace container to allow room for growth? I am mainly referring to small pill bottles that could be replaced by larger pill containers. I would not replace anything of value, just as stated.

I am a real newbie, and I am wondering if a hide could accommodate a much bigger container without risking being muggled, is it okay to replace container to allow room for growth? I am mainly referring to small pill bottles that could be replaced by larger pill containers. I would not replace anything of value, just as stated.

Since you don't currently own any caches, I assume you're referring to caches you find.

Never do anything to someone else's cache without their approval. Don't hide it somewhere else, don't change the container. The cache is there for you to find, sign the log, trade any items you wish, then put it back exactly how you found it. Keep in mind that the owner may have used that container for a good reason.

You can always send an email to the owner with a proposal to change the container, but having a finder change the container isn't something that usually happens, so don't be surprised if they're a bit confused by your request.

Feedback from experienced cachers is much appreciated. In this case it was a small pill container, not even the log really fit into it and since it was underneath a lamp post skirt it could have easily accommodated a pill container that i still have from sam's club. But I understand what you are saying and will not change anything. Ever. Promise!

Feedback from experienced cachers is much appreciated. In this case it was a small pill container, not even the log really fit into it and since it was underneath a lamp post skirt it could have easily accommodated a pill container that i still have from sam's club. But I understand what you are saying and will not change anything. Ever. Promise!

Please don't. Thank you.

As mentioned, the only exception to this rule is something that I did just a few hours ago. Searched for a cache hidden by a CO that I know as a friend through geocaching. Couldn't find it so I gave him a call to confirm the hiding spot. Simple hide in a little rock "cave" that was missing. He gave me permission to replace the container after I offered to do so. In this case he was grateful since this location was pretty remote and gas is not cheap biggrin.gif

In addition to what others have said, I'd like to point out that just because it is possible to hide a larger container somewhere, doesn't mean that it is possible for a larger geocache to survive there. There are a number of locations nearby where I've seen a series of short-lived geocaches hidden, until finally someone hides a micro and that's what survives. It isn't just about the hide itself. What happens when a geocacher finds the cache, and either opens it on the spot, or carries it somewhere else to open it and then carries it back to replace it?

The only modifying I have ever done to a cache without getting permission is adding a plastic bag because the log is wet due to the lack of one.

Good move, really. Problem is... the cache has failed at the basic level. All the baggies in the world aren't gonna help.

Baggies themselves do little more than to trap water inside never allowing the contents to dry.

I have also replaced a cache container, but only because the plastic box was cracked and everything inside was rusty and soggy. I mailed the geocaching-retired cache owner in advance since the last year's worth of logs all complained about the container (via NM logs), but never got a reply. I also offered to adopt it, but never got a reply to that either.

The cache should technically have been archived, but it's a tricky subject, this ...

I have also replaced a cache container, but only because the plastic box was cracked and everything inside was rusty and soggy. I mailed the geocaching-retired cache owner in advance since the last year's worth of logs all complained about the container (via NM logs), but never got a reply. I also offered to adopt it, but never got a reply to that either.

The cache should technically have been archived, but it's a tricky subject, this ...

Seems pretty clear-cut to me. A missing owner and a ruined cache? Good candidate for a "Needs Archive" log.

Seems pretty clear-cut to me. A missing owner and a ruined cache? Good candidate for a "Needs Archive" log.

That's the tricky bit; the CO isn't missing, but have (apparently) moved some distance away and is regularly finding and logging caches elsewhere. Hence the question about adopting it, not least since other caches in my area by this CO have been adopted by others. The cache in question is this one.

Earlier I managed to get a ruined cache with a fled owner archived, after which I recycled some of his cache description and put up a better installation nearby. It somehow seems inappropriate to do it this time.

That's the tricky bit; the CO isn't missing, but have (apparently) moved some distance away and is regularly finding and logging caches elsewhere. Hence the question about adopting it, not least since other caches in my area by this CO have been adopted by others. The cache in question is this one.

As far as your region is concerned, the CO is missing. If they can no longer maintain the cache, it should either be adopted (which you tried) or archived. Community-maintained caches generally don't work well in the long run.