The Term Muggle

AneMae

I use the word muggle because its understood and faster in our conversation.

The Un-washed

Heathens (my favorite)

Infidels (second favorite)

Non-believers

...the list goes on.

Yet, a term borrowed into a popular series of fantasy novels about a magical society is the one picked by the general multitude.

If Star-Trek had retained it's popularity a bit longer, would we be calling them Ferengi?

I use the word muggle because its understood and faster in our conversation.

The Un-washed

Heathens (my favorite)

Infidels (second favorite)

Non-believers

...the list goes on.

Yet, a term borrowed into a popular series of fantasy novels about a magical society is the one picked by the general multitude.

If Star-Trek had retained it's popularity a bit longer, would we be calling them Ferengi?

Thanks, now I have to clean my drink off of the screen. :blink:

Every time this comes up, I wonder about the split between those that like the term muggle and those that don't. (And of course, those that really don't care one way or the other. :) )

When I started Geocaching, I had never heard the term "muggle". Reading the logs and the forum, I found it was a very common word with a meaning to Geocaching. I never read the Harry Potter books, nor saw the movies, so I did not know the connection there.

It wasn't until the first time I read some complaints here in the forum that I even knew about Harry potter's use of the term. By then I was used to using it and liked it. (this was very soon after I started Geocaching. B) ) This also explained why my muggle friends understood me when I used it. :)

I wonder if the source you first heard the term from might effect how you feel about it. :unsure:

Note: The above is just some rambling thoughts, and in no way change how I feel about the term, nor how I use it.

While I know J.K. Rowling was not the first to use the word muggle, I think the Harry Potter use of the word fits well to describe non-geocachers.

In the Harry Potter world - the people doing the magic are sharing the same world as those who don't - the Muggles. But the Muggles are unaware of this alternate world.

When I first discovered Geocaching, I was amazed that this was all going on without my knowing. There was a cache 300 feet from my house and I didn't know it was there. It had been there for years.

I haven't obtained any magical skills (and I'm not very good at finding tricky caches). But now I am part of the Geocaching "world" - and no longer a Muggle.

But I like Harry Potter. If you don't like Harry Potter, I can see how the term would be annoying. (And I assume there are people who like Harry Potter but still don't like the term).

Ferengi were part of the Federation....muggles were never allowed to know about their existence.
If we're going to borrow the name of Star Trek aliens, then I think we need to pick aliens with a pre-warp culture that were not allowed to know about the Federation, thanks to the prime directive.

Of course, this also gives us the opportunity to coin a term for people who know about geocaching, but who do not participate themselves. This would correspond to one of the post-warp alien cultures that has not joined the Federation (for whatever reason).

But I see nothing offensive about the word "muggle" either.

Someday, if I'm bored, I'm going to compile a list of FPCs (Frequently Posted Complaints) and FAQs with links to past discussions. Maybe I'll add ratings, from "Horse Might Just be Pining" to "Horse has Disintegrated and its Remains are No Longer Recognizable as Equine".

Its about time somebody get around to discussing this. I can't believe that, after all these years, the subject of "muggles" has finally been broached. Thank you, AneMae!

NEXT UP: BRING BACK VIRTUALS - MY OWN PERSONAL UNIQUE VIEW NOT HELD BY ANYBODY ELSE EVER.

Ohh... Ohh... Ohh!!!

Can we follow up that one with a "Why isn't there a nano category" thread?

Strangely enough, that question was asked to the panel at the UK mega q/a session last weekend and Jeremey said that he didn't know why there wasn't one and that he thought there should be. The only issue would be working with all the 3rd party application developpers to make them aware of it so that their software would either work with the new type or default to something like unknown.

The issue I've always had with the term 'muggle' is that if used in the Harry Potter sense it implies (to me) a person without a knowledge of geocaching or without the technological ability, and therefore unable to take part in caching. This isn't the case though, because a 'muggle' can be made aware of caching and all they then need do is use a phone,gps or even just a map to search. This is a skill that can be learnt by anybody and does not rely on latent ability.

I don't use the term

man, the schedule makes no mention of the constant FTF discussions either. I see why a locationless cache retro day is not going anywhere, not on the schedule either, sadly.

the word muggle is ingrained in my vernacular now, its not changing.

For the record, I have always supported locationless cache retro day also, and Muggle is ingrained in my vernacular. Hey, someone had to post and lighten the mood after Dog with glasses got flamed, in this rather lighthearted thread. :huh:

I got flamed? :o OH NOEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, it just occurred to me that I think I generally use the word in the verbal sense much more than the nounal sense. I will say that a cache got "muggled", but I think that I rarely say that "I saw a Muggle".

I don't mind use of the word, "Muggle", not being a Harry Potter initiate and all.

I think "Tribble" would be cooler, though. You know, those fuzzy, adorable creatures that are so, so adoptable.

They caused trouble by getting into the bins (grain bins).

It predates the pop stuff, anyhow.

Or, maybe "Tsi-mri", from C.J.Cherryh's Faded Sun trilogy?

Someday, if I'm bored, I'm going to compile a list of FPCs (Frequently Posted Complaints) and FAQs with links to past discussions. Maybe I'll add ratings, from "Horse Might Just be Pining" to "Horse has Disintegrated and its Remains are No Longer Recognizable as Equine".

:laughing: :laughing:

The interesting thing about forums, is that you don't have to read every thread or respond to them.

The interesting thing about forums, is that you don't have to read every thread or respond to them.

Please allow me to add:

The interesting thing about forums, is that you don't have to read every thread to respond to them. :P

Please allow me to add:

The interesting thing about forums, is that you don't have to read every thread to respond to them. :P

Lets me stack it on some more:

The interesting thing about forums, is that you don't have to read every post to respond to them. :ph34r:

Edited by SwineFlew

What about just calling them "The Un-educated" People who Don't Know about Caching

Oddly I have not heard one good reason for keeping the term muggle

if the term is disliked enough that we have to discuss this for several pages in the forums

then that's proof enough for me, lets just agree to change it then Email everybody about the change

but I believe the biggest thing that needs to happen is stop using the term muggle

What about just calling them "The Un-educated" People who Don't Know about Caching

if the term is disliked enough that we have to discuss this for several pages in the forums

then that's proof enough for me, lets just agree to change it then Email everybody about the change

but I believe the biggest thing that needs to happen is stop using the term muggle

Say what? First of all, 80% of Geocaching.com accounts have never once even viewed the forums. Yes, there is a way you can tell this. Second of all, it's been disliked by about 6 people on a two page thread? Yes, there have been other threads, and there are a small number of people out there who don't like the term.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Groundspeak will not be changing the word to something else, and sending out 5,000,000 emails. Ever. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

OK, I'm tired of fighting this battle. "The Un-Educated" wins.

Next time I have to archive one of my caches because it was damaged by a non-cacher, I am going to write that it was "Un-Educateded". <_<

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Groundspeak will not be changing the word to something else, and sending out 5,000,000 emails. Ever. :rolleyes:

I don't think GS have the power to control all the geocachers in the world to that extent :D

Well yes. They do not own Geocaching. I should know that as a strong supporter and user of the alternative sites (except Garmin). However, probably 95% of registered Geocachers think they invented the game, own it, and can change the word Muggle. :P

Now this is strange, I have not heard one good reason for dropping the term muggle.

I think the reason the term is discussed for several pages, everytime it come up, is because some people like it and some don't. However, that is not a good reason to drop it.

If you don't like it, don't use it. I like it and will continue to use it. Simple, right?

Never being a fan of Harry Potter (I actually fell asleep in the theatre...my wife wasn't pleased :D ) I had never heard of the term "muggle" until I started caching.

It's a little silly to me but I get why it's used and it doesn't bother me.

Also, I just want to confirm that once I started caching I gained magical powers. I now have the uncanny ability to walk through every spider web in the forest. I haven't found a good use for it yet but once I do it's going to be awesome :cool: