The Term Muggle

AneMae

I find the term "Muggle" a rather arrogant one.

Muggle, a term from the Harry Potter book series by J. K. Rowling, refers to a person who lacks any sort of magical ability and was not born into the magical world. Muggles also do not have any magical blood.

"Muggle" was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2003, where it is said to refer to a person who is lacking a skill

So given the above does that mean cachers are somehow "magical" and specially skilled? Sounds like something a bunch of 8 year olds might play. How did this term get into Geocaching? You know there are 6, 995,000,000 people out there who do not have a Geocaching account. I am sure that many of them have their own set of skills and abilities and do not deserve to be referred to by such a pejorative term such as muggle.

On the other hand, fans of the band Insane Clown Posse will be familliar with this term:

Juggalo or Juggalette (the latter being feminine) is a name given to fans of Insane Clown Posse or any other Psychopathic Records hip hop group. Juggalos have developed their own idioms, slang, and characteristics.

Given they have their own "idioms, slang and characteristics" this might be a good term to describe a cacher.

So on one hand we have

Muggles:

tumblr_lnk7ybhfJ41qcauxd.jpg

And on the other hand we have Juggles (we'll say Juggles since it rhymes with Muggles):

juggalos3.jpg

I despise the word "muggle" it's childish and i can't stand the Harry Potter reference. Refuse to use that word. We all make fun of it.

We have chosen to call non cachers zombies lol.

I used to be an icp fan for years, but not once did i reference myself as a juggalo.

Inb4 elitist remark.

Juggalo or Juggalette (the latter being feminine) is a name given to fans of Insane Clown Posse or any other Psychopathic Records hip hop group. Juggalos have developed their own idioms, slang, and characteristics.

Given they have their own "idioms, slang and characteristics" this might be a good term to describe a cacher.

If fans of Insane Clown Posse are to call cachers "Juggalos", what will they call Juggalos?

Edited by kunarion

If fans of Insane Clown Posse are to call cachers "Juggalos", what will they call Juggalos?

Juggalos are those people find jeeks, right? <_<

Not Juggalos for cachers Juggles. See OP

???What is a "Jeek"

???What is a "Jeek"

:ph34r:

Muggle, a term from the Harry Potter book series by J. K. Rowling, refers to a person who lacks any sort of magical ability and was not born into the magical world. Muggles also do not have any magical blood.

"Muggle" was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2003, where it is said to refer to a person who is lacking a skill

So given the above does that mean cachers are somehow "magical" and specially skilled?

The term "muggle" (which does NOT have its origins in Harry Potter, by the way) was used simply to refer to those that are not a part of the secret of geocaching. There is nothing arrogant about it, and you are taking it way too far with your explaination. I have never been particularly fond of the word, myself, and rarely use it, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that I stand a snowball's chance of changing a word that has been in common use for over 10 years. Good luck with that.

Cachers have no innate magical ability.

Our claim comes from the little device we carry which sniffs out the elusive treasures.

The device is magic ... when we are in possession of the device we attain magical status by transference.

Those without a device have no magic thus and truly are MUGGLES. >>> It is truly so.

INDEED what is a JEEK?

Saw reference to a jeek associated with a large piece of Geo-Art in the southwest corner of Utah. (Kokopelli)

Jeek:

In geocaching, the global scavenger hunt game played with a GPS, jeek is the name for the "treasure" you find.

This sure was a fun jeek to find.

My girlfriend wants to take me jeeking, should I go?

(To that last example question, of course you should go!)

Jeek:

In geocaching, the global scavenger hunt game played with a GPS, jeek is the name for the "treasure" you find.

There's a word I have never heard before. I thought it was called swag, or more often, junk.

Isn't the treasure called a cache?

I'm gonna have to put my foot down!

The term for non-cachers will remain "Muggles" forever more. This I decree. :mellow:

Besides, my wife is a friggin HUGE Harry Potter fan and it annoys her to no end that we have conscripted the word for our own use.

That's a good enough reason for me. The rest of you that don't like it will just have to suck it up and put some dirt on it. :anitongue::anibad::laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

I was hopeful that all the iPhone auto-correct loggers would popularize the usage of "Muffle"

When I log incidences needing the-term-that-will-not-be-used I refer to them as civilians. When I am with my daughter who is a LOST fan, I like to use Others or sometimes Hostiles.

Last weekend was the annual get-together at my buddy's cottage and everyone was mighty sick of my obsessive discussing of Geocaching so by Saturday afternoon I was forbidden to use the word. To circumnavigate this restriction, I replaced it with the metonym "horcrux" (as suggested by a kid there who was so into reading Harry Potter that she was literally crying during a re-read of the last book, with all the deaths).

I was hopeful that all the iPhone auto-correct loggers would popularize the usage of "Muffle"

When I log incidences needing the-term-that-will-not-be-used I refer to them as civilians. When I am with my daughter who is a LOST fan, I like to use Others or sometimes Hostiles.

Last weekend was the annual get-together at my buddy's cottage and everyone was mighty sick of my obsessive discussing of Geocaching so by Saturday afternoon I was forbidden to use the word. To circumnavigate this restriction, I replaced it with the metonym "horcrux" (as suggested by a kid there who was so into reading Harry Potter that she was literally crying during a re-read of the last book, with all the deaths).

I like the word "Hostiles" because you need to be aware that the "Hostiles" could be lurking anywhere!!!

Another LOST fan!

Now what you mention that, The only time I ever typed a text to a Geocacher and used that term, it did indeed change it to Muffle!!

Your scenario is complete fantasy though, seeing as the word Muggle itself exceeds the length of the average Iphone log. :ph34r:

Its about time somebody get around to discussing this. I can't believe that, after all these years, the subject of "muggles" has finally been broached. Thank you, AneMae!

NEXT UP: BRING BACK VIRTUALS - MY OWN PERSONAL UNIQUE VIEW NOT HELD BY ANYBODY ELSE EVER.

Ohh... Ohh... Ohh!!!

Can we follow up that one with a "Why isn't there a nano category" thread?

So given the above does that mean cachers are somehow "magical" and specially skilled?

The term "muggle" (which does NOT have its origins in Harry Potter, by the way) was used simply to refer to those that are not a part of the secret of geocaching. There is nothing arrogant about it, and you are taking it way too far with your explaination. I have never been particularly fond of the word, myself, and rarely use it, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that I stand a snowball's chance of changing a word that has been in common use for over 10 years. Good luck with that.

This

Its about time somebody get around to discussing this. I can't believe that, after all these years, the subject of "muggles" has finally been broached. Thank you, AneMae!

NEXT UP: BRING BACK VIRTUALS - MY OWN PERSONAL UNIQUE VIEW NOT HELD BY ANYBODY ELSE EVER.

Ohh... Ohh... Ohh!!!

Can we follow up that one with a "Why isn't there a nano category" thread?

No no no, it'll be followed up with "The proximity guideline sucks and needs to be changed! I want to hide caches [insert obscenely small distance] apart!

The term "muggle" (which does NOT have its origins in Harry Potter, by the way) was used simply to refer to those that are not a part of the secret of geocaching.

OK, I'll bite: what is the origin of the term "muggle" if not the immensely popular book series that predates geocaching and uses the term in the magical world exactly the same way you've just explained that it's used in the geocaching world?

The term "muggle" (which does NOT have its origins in Harry Potter, by the way) was used simply to refer to those that are not a part of the secret of geocaching.

OK, I'll bite: what is the origin of the term "muggle" if not the immensely popular book series that predates geocaching and uses the term in the magical world exactly the same way you've just explained that it's used in the geocaching world?

Who said anything about it using the term in the magical world exactly the same way? All I said was that it doesn't have its origin in Harry Potter. Google it if you want to learn more.

Who said anything about it using the term in the magical world exactly the same way? All I said was that it doesn't have its origin in Harry Potter. Google it if you want to learn more.

I was thinking the same thing. My friends had a band in the 90's called "Muggles".

It still has the 1920's meaning to me no matter how many times I watch a Potter movie or see it on this website.

Jeek:

There's a word I have never heard before. I thought it was called swag, or more often, junk.

Isn't the treasure called a cache?

JEEK is a term coined by a certain southern Utah cacher's 5 y/o daughter when trying to help her daddy navigate to a Geocache. She tried to turn the GC prefix into it's own word and pronounce it...JEEK was the best she could do with here rudimentary language skills. Daddy though it was cute and started referring to Geocaches as JEEKS at every opportunity.

I'm going to need to intake a serious quantity of muggle before I go looking for any JEEKs. :lol:

man, the schedule makes no mention of the constant FTF discussions either. I see why a locationless cache retro day is not going anywhere, not on the schedule either, sadly.

the word muggle is ingrained in my vernacular now, its not changing.

For the record, I have always supported locationless cache retro day also, and Muggle is ingrained in my vernacular. Hey, someone had to post and lighten the mood after Dog with glasses got flamed, in this rather lighthearted thread. :huh:

The quoted post was removed by a moderator.

Did you bother to research beyond Wikipedia. (Which we all know is the best source on the internet. <_< )

I have a slang dictionary that was copywritten in the middle 1960's that refers to a couple uses for the word, and none of them have anything to do with Harry and his friends.

Also I think everyone is being as helpful as this forum thread deserves.

I like the word, and all my muggle friends understand exactly what I mean when I use it. So far, no one has given even a hint they might be offended.

If you find it offensive, I think you may be the one with a problem.

Edited by Keystone

{The quoted post was removed by a moderator due to forum guideline violations.}

This topic come up alot(too often in my opinion) on the forum and KnowsChad was just being funny. People that bring up this topic is like going up a fast moving river in a row boat and not go anywhere. Its just best not to use the word if you dont like it and move on. You cant change it, cachers been using it for years. I use the word muggle because its understood and faster in our conversation.

Edited by Keystone