Yakima Valley Cache Machine

travisl

(Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.)

(Link to dinner event cache.)

We've done two cache machines in Yakima. We've done two cache machines in the Tri-Cities. But what about all that space in between? Toppenish and Sunnyside and Zillah and Prosser? This time, it's their time.

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route. Sunrise on Saturday, September 22, is at 6:15 a.m., so let's meet at the parking area for Big Log and the other five westernmost caches on the route. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can. If you'd prefer to sleep in or start somewhere else, go for it!

Dinner's at 7:00 p.m. at the China Buffet in Sunnyside. See its event page for details.

Note that several caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon (icon_disabled.gif). Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought after this weekend. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's ecologially sensitive, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Parking for several caches on the route, including the start point, requires a Discover Pass. Plan accordingly.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "YVCM" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 100 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Yakima Valley Cache Machine FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, September 22, 2012. Start whenever you want, but I recommend starting at GC2NJTE at 6:15 a.m. Dinner is at 7:00 p.m.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

If you like caching with large groups, you can start at GC2NJTE at 6:15 a.m. Or, if you like caching in smaller groups, pick somewhere else to start from. After a dozen caches or so, even the larger groups tend to fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

• Friday, September 21, at 6:30 p.m., will be a pre-event dinner. Location will be announced later in this thread, once I figure it out.
  • Saturday, September 22, at 7:00 p.m., dinner will be at China Buffet, 2600 Yakima Valley Highway, Sunnyside, N 46° 19.146 W 119° 59.154. See the event page.
  • Sunday, September 23, get the ones you missed!

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

If dinner's at 7:00 p.m., why does the route run way past then? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 100 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

Lunch: You should probably bring a sack lunch to eat on the road.

Breaks and Bathrooms: There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Could be. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

Edited by Tarn_Loon
OP's request

Bookmark is posted.

Comment on GC3A10P, Tour of Prosser. Travis has listed the various listed stages as stops on the route. Nothing wrong with this and for the cache machine this is the correct thing to do. However, for a bookmark this will not work. Therefore I only list stop 38 and don't list stops 40, 42 and 43. GSAK will load the stages, how they are displayed depends how you load them. For drag and drop I don't think they get picked up. Moving on ...

PM CACHES:

#54, GC1NCV8

#88, GCXFCT

#90, GCXEHJ

#92, GCTC3V

#93, GCXHW7

#96, GC16GB2

#97, GC16HCF

#99, GC16HD2

#100, GC16HDX

#101, GC16HCX

#102, GC14BNG

As always, regular members can log these via .geocachingadmin.com, but, of course, your on your own to find the coordinates.

Problem caches:

#16, GC17XV6 - log indicates it might have been muggled again.

#25, GC160JZ - likely MIA.

#36, GC3E8FK - three DNF's in a row.

Pretty short list.

A few comments as CO for following: For 57, 58, 59, 60, and 61 (Rattlesnake West and 4 Gem/Mineral Trail), there is a parking lot at 46 22.258, 119 42.134 that will be the place to stop (Discover Pass). The dirt road to these 5 is gated and it is a walk back to these 5. For 67 (A Cut Above), parking would be at 66 (Badlands) where there is a 4WD dirt road leading down to the bottom (which is blocked by an irrigation pipe, so you can't drive beyond and have to walk). DO NOT APPROACH 67 directly from main road or you will walk off a cliff. For 77, suggest same parking (nice parking lot)as for 76 (paths from 76 to 77 would be faster than reparking).

So we were going through to do our bookmark list for the cache machine, we noticed Number 5 - GC2NJTH - She Sells Sea Shells is archived. Number 8 - GC2NY1H - Buena Lake Parking has been archived. Number 12 - GC10CH4 - Milk Run #2 - Need More Calcium? is also archived. Number 13 - GC10CH8 - MILK RUN # 3 - It's Lofat! is also archived. Thanks for putting on the cache machine. :)

Anybody found any good hotel deals yet? Cheapest I'm finding for two nights at a decent place is $136.

Booked at Guesthouse International in Yakima, but at $141 for both nights before taxes. Still bidding thru Priceline to get a better deal. It's hard this time - read/heard lots of places are "scary" to stay at. I had the hardest time weeding thru Trip Advisor reviews for this area. Hoping to successfully bid lower at a nearby town.

The second draft is posted {edit: bad link deleted}. Thanks, JHolly, ACFunk, and Captain Trevos & Crew for the advice. Got any more suggestions? I plan to post the final route on Monday.

I've got a room at the Days Inn in Yakima ($126.86 for two nights with free cancellation, through their web site; $3 less non-refundable through Hotwire). They're #14 of 25 on TripAdvisor, but it sounds like they finished a remodel job within the last month, and two of the three reviews since then are both 5's. (The third one was ranked a 3 due to loud amorous noises from the room next door.)

For $6 more, I'm considering the Sunnyside Country Inn ($132.36 on multiple travel sites), but it seems like it's slightly lower quality for a slightly more convenient location.

I was somewhat surprised that Priceline wasn't able to find something for a $50 bid.

Edited by travisl

Maybe it is just me, or this infernal work computer, but this draft doesn't seem to open properly. Draft One does, Draft Two, not so much.

T

T&K

The second draft is posted. Thanks, JHolly, ACFunk, and Captain Trevos & Crew for the advice. Got any more suggestions? I plan to post the final route on Monday.

I've got a room at the Days Inn in Yakima ($126.86 for two nights with free cancellation, through their web site; $3 less non-refundable through Hotwire). They're #14 of 25 on TripAdvisor, but it sounds like they finished a remodel job within the last month, and two of the three reviews since then are both 5's. (The third one was ranked a 3 due to loud amorous noises from the room next door.)

For $6 more, I'm considering the Sunnyside Country Inn ($132.36 on multiple travel sites), but it seems like it's slightly lower quality for a slightly more convenient location.

I was somewhat surprised that Priceline wasn't able to find something for a $50 bid.

The second draft is posted. Thanks, JHolly, ACFunk, and Captain Trevos & Crew for the advice. Got any more suggestions? I plan to post the final route on Monday.

Priceline couldn't get me anything even for $60. :(

I'm paying $123.08 after taxes for two nights at the Days Inn in Yakima. The two-night discount through the website was bigger than the senior discount.

Booked my room at the Sunnyside Country Inn this morning, $136.50/2 nights + tax.

Sorry -- I uploaded the wrong file. I'll try again tomorrow.

Also, be aware that many of the stops on this route are in Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife areas, so don't forget your Discover Pass.

Whew, don't have to work on the bookmark tonight.

Do you make note of the stops where the Discover Pass is needed so those of us without one can go elsewhere?

Also, be aware that many of the stops on this route are in Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife areas, so don't forget your Discover Pass.

Do you make note of the stops where the Discover Pass is needed so those of us without one can go elsewhere?

A Discover day pass is $10 - less than the gas we'll use. Just sayin'....

$11.50, and then finding a place that sells it, just sayin' ...

Edited by jholly

Seriously? <_< That's darned cheap if you use it at several places in one day, and split the cost among those in the car. And the Discover Pass is sold lots of places, including most sports/outdoors stores (REI, Big 5, etc.) and online. If you get it at a State Parks ranger station, it is just the $10 (that's what I pay Easton for all the day passes for APE event).

I wager you toss $10 down for a lot of other stuff you don't enjoy as much as a cache machine. And with our legislature threatening to completely defund the state parks in 2013 (which includes the Fish and Wildlife areas), they need all the help they can get, esp if we want to continue using them.

Edited by hydnsek

Booked my room at the Sunnyside Country Inn this morning, $136.50/2 nights + tax.

Changed my reservation. I'll be there, too. $128.01/2 nights including tax.

I just booked our room at the Quality Inn & Suites in Toppenish for $77/night. It is a little more, but the reviews were better and they are happy to meet the Internet Price over the phone if you ask.

Some of us are thinking about a lunch stop along the route, perhaps in Prosser? Any thoughts?

Changed my reservation. I'll be there, too. $128.01/2 nights including tax.

I just booked our room at the Quality Inn & Suites in Toppenish for $77/night. It is a little more, but the reviews were better and they are happy to meet the Internet Price over the phone if you ask.

Some of us are thinking about a lunch stop along the route, perhaps in Prosser? Any thoughts?

A lunch stop is always appreciated.

This link to draft 2 should work a lot better.

As for a lunch stop, I don't have the resources to get one set up, but the Prosser Chamber of Commerce recommends City Park, which is three blocks east of stop 36, and according to the Chamber, includes "a covered picnic pavilion, shaded picnic areas, lighted outdoor stage, playground equipment, open play area, restrooms, two concession buildings with food preparation and service facilities". And -- for shame! -- it has no caches in it.

This link to draft 2 should work a lot better.

As for a lunch stop, I don't have the resources to get one set up, but the Prosser Chamber of Commerce recommends City Park, which is three blocks east of stop 36, and according to the Chamber, includes "a covered picnic pavilion, shaded picnic areas, lighted outdoor stage, playground equipment, open play area, restrooms, two concession buildings with food preparation and service facilities". And -- for shame! -- it has no caches in it.

I looked at that park as well. I'll chat with the PTB tomorrow and see what would be involved to put together a lunch stop there. If the concession/food prep area is available... could be fun!

It's a valid question -- I've yet to renew mine yet, and I can think of several hypothetical scenarios where I might not get one yet and still go on the Machine. I'm seeing that it's required at stops 1-5, 6, 51-55, and perhaps 70-71.

On a separate routing note, I'm seeing that finding the virtual cache Teaparty for Babycakes may be confusing. The owner, Zemi, hasn't logged on since June 2006. The requirement is to send words from a plaque in front of the building. However, the plaque is gone and the building has been moved two miles northwest. My solution for the route is to move the stop, which was stop 21, to its real location several caches earlier in the route. If someone's using auto-routing or just going to the posted coordinates, they're going to be two miles away from the building. If they do that, and decide to log a find on the virtual at the old building pad with no building there, that's between them and their conscience, I guess.

I've got a room at the Days Inn in Yakima ($126.86 for two nights with free cancellation, through their web site; $3 less non-refundable through Hotwire).

I'm paying $123.08 after taxes for two nights at the Days Inn in Yakima. The two-night discount through the website was bigger than the senior discount.

I just cancelled and rebooked the Yakima Days Inn through Priceline's fixed-price list: $122.12 refundable. Beat that! :)

Edited by travisl

Maybe the Prosser visitor/convention center, or the high school? "Visitors are encouraged to park in the conveniently located Visitor & Information Center's Depot parking facility, walking throughout the downtown area. ... The Prosser Chamber of Commerce is located in the refurbished Burlington Northern train station at Depot Square in the center of Prosser." It's open 10 am to 2 pm. www.prosserchamber.org

Notes on Draft 2:

GCA0C8 - Reported as wet and yucky.

GC74B5 - I posted a NM. The owner posted new coordinates as a log, the page coordinates have not been changed.

GC1F6B7 - Last log reports a 40 minute search did not turn up the cache, but since this is a zero find member I would not worry to much.

GC1A0AV - Last log was DNF, previous find was nine months ago.

GC1RXFX - Last log DNF, previous find was two months ago.

All others look fine.

We will check on Landslide View (GC1A0AV) to see if it is still there (last log DNF). But after some thought about it, we are requesting that you take it off the route anyway as it is in a spot where there is parking for only one car at a time and if more than one car at a time tries to park there, it will be a dangerous situation on that road (narrow, on a hill with curves). Thanks.

Notes on Draft 2:

GC74B5 - I posted a NM. The owner posted new coordinates as a log, the page coordinates have not been changed.

Turns out it is not the owner posting the note. It is a local person has been posting frequently since the object of the cache was moved. Seems the owner has been MIA since 2005. Also the plaque that you needed to get information from to email the owner was not moved, so basically this is an armchair virtual, although folks seem to be posting pictures to show they were there. Still, you need the new coordinates.

Edited by jholly

The final route is up. Any changes after this point will be announced here and at the pre-event dinner.

The pre-event dinner will be at a little burger stand that's getting great reviews: Bob’s Drive In, 108 Yakima Valley Highway, Sunnyside, N 46 19.86’, W 120 01.14’. Bring sunglasses -- seating is at a picnic table outside or in your car.

With high temperatures expected to be in the mid 90s, this is likely to be the hottest cache machine yet. Take appropriate precautions.

With only 28 "will attends" so far, it's looking like it'll be a smaller Cache Machine than usual. Small group; big fun. With a group this small, I see no need to alert the local police and sheriff departments. If the cops snag you, you're on your own :laughing:

The pre-event dinner will be at a little burger stand that's getting great reviews: Bob’s Drive In, 108 Yakima Valley Highway, Sunnyside, N 46 19.86’, W 120 01.14’. Bring sunglasses -- seating is at a picnic table outside or in your car.

Time?

I'll get to the final later tonight. I'm taking down the bookmark now so folks don't accidentally downoad Draft 2 as the final.

Sunnyside Country Inn was a better overall deal all around, so I've booked a room there. I'm still hanging on to my old reservation until I check with a (local) friend about it being a safe area. When last I checked with her, she told me to avoid staying in Toppenish (sorry Lookout Lisa) - lots of gang activity.

Sunnyside Country Inn was a better overall deal all around, so I've booked a room there. I'm still hanging on to my old reservation until I check with a (local) friend about it being a safe area. When last I checked with her, she told me to avoid staying in Toppenish (sorry Lookout Lisa) - lots of gang activity.

Lizzy - It depends on where you stay in Toppenish. I can tell you it's going to be better than most areas in Yakima (sorry to people who booked there, I hope you're not in the bad parts of the city!). I think we'll be just fine where you booked us :)

Seriously? <_< That's darned cheap if you use it at several places in one day, and split the cost among those in the car. And the Discover Pass is sold lots of places, including most sports/outdoors stores (REI, Big 5, etc.) and online. If you get it at a State Parks ranger station, it is just the $10 (that's what I pay Easton for all the day passes for APE event).

I wager you toss $10 down for a lot of other stuff you don't enjoy as much as a cache machine. And with our legislature threatening to completely defund the state parks in 2013 (which includes the Fish and Wildlife areas), they need all the help they can get, esp if we want to continue using them.

We get the State Park plates on our Cachemobile, I have to say it looks pretty cool with the Geocaching License plate trim. It is our way to support State Parks and caching. I encourage more to get the plates they are good looking and support our hobby in some degree. Specialty plates are very cheap in this state compared to others so it is a cool way to custom your rig also. I have them on most my cars.

Good news: the forecast has changed a bit. Instead of temperatures in the mid 90s (as predicted three days ago), the forecast is now for the mid 80s.

Bad news: Air quality in Yakima is currently "unhealthy for sensitive groups" and in Toppenish is straight up "unhealthy". Current conditions at Zillah, Toppenish, Yakima, and Benton city all report "smoky". Some forecasts I'm seeing are listing Saturday as "smoky with sunshine mixing with some clouds." Now you know.

Good news: the forecast has changed a bit. Instead of temperatures in the mid 90s (as predicted three days ago), the forecast is now for the mid 80s.

Bad news: Air quality in Yakima is currently "unhealthy for sensitive groups" and in Toppenish is straight up "unhealthy". Current conditions at Zillah, Toppenish, Yakima, and Benton city all report "smoky". Some forecasts I'm seeing are listing Saturday as "smoky with sunshine mixing with some clouds." Now you know.

Just arrived - man, it is smoky :( Watched the NWCN & they're now predicting wind patterns out of the south, which should start clearing more of it out. :)