FTF swag

unactivated coins or travel bugs are very suitable and are awesome gifts. Gift cards are relatively common around here if someone does a FTF prize, but I prefer a coin.

PS. Do not feel its an obligation to leave a FTF prize, only if you want to do so.

Edited by lamoracke

Kudos for wanting to put FTF swag out there. Anything better than "$1 for FTF." I recently did a little zipper pull compass. I have a couple nice handheld compasses for bigger caches I have planned. I've seen small Swiss Army knives, micro tools, all kinds of good stuff. Unactivated trackables make great FTF swag (and hopefully encourage more TBs in the wild!)

I have left an FTF pin in a couple of my caches, plus the "official" Groundspeak FTF coin in a couple of others. The FTF pin is designed by Smort78. People seem to enjoy them. I also did door number 5 in the local geocaching advent calendar last year, so the FTF coin was for the fifth-to-find ;) My latest mystery cache also has an FTF coin for a prize, but only junior geocachers (under 18) are eligible. The local FTF hounds have enough coins, methinks ...

Smort78s FTF pin:

84d8b179e3c1099300e647a731ca11f0.jpg

The coin:

tb_ftf_geocoin-500x500.jpg

I like to leave a TB or a Coin.

However, the FTF Hounds around here would find even if THEY had to pay the CO cash. :laughing:

haha

Funny but true.

I'll tend to put in a few nicer pieces of swag and reserve the FTF prizes for caches that aren't park & grabs. With most caching in my area moving to P&G, those that will make the hike (even a short hike) earned the FTF prize in my books.

If you, for some reason, think "we" shouldn't, I'm more interested in hearing the reasons for that.

Well, for one thing, a forum search would turn up numerous posts where self-acknowledged FTF-hounds stated themselves that all they really needed was a blank log. But for myself, I prefer to not see the FTF game encouraged and perpetuated with special rewards like that. FTF seeking causes plenty of angst without putting material rewards out as a carrot.

Hmmm, yeah, you have a point. The stress and hysteria involved is actually a bit comical, and the FTF hounds often slightly remind me of compulsive hoarders. No reason to enable them, I guess. That being said, I tend to filter out the FTF hounds' logs as "not real finds". I don't know why. Must be my subconscious or something.

[...] but I will be rewarded with the satisfaction that the puzzle is solvable and my cache was found.

Success for me is having 13 people watching the mystery, and no finds for the first couple of months :laughing:

My latest D4.5 mystery was found on the publish date (July 1), but the guy didn't know how he solved it. He just stumbled across the solution (being a math guy and all). A month later, the FTF hounds brute forced it (map wise) and apparently picked the padlock on the container to sign the log. In my mind that's success, but it also shows how desperate some people are for smileys.

I agree it's not necessary in general, but my favourite FTF prize I have received was an eraser (rubber) in the shape of money notes. It was a tricky puzzle/multi with a golf theme, and the owner put out prize "money" for 1st, second, and third place. In fact we were third - but were thrilled with our prize "money".

I want to have a reward for ftf because,If you are resourceful enough to solve the puzzle, then make the drive in a quick fashion kodos to you!

This is exactly why some people don't want to encourage the FTF game by placing FTF rewards in their caches. Based on some of the things I've read that some will do to "win the FTF race", making the "drive in a quick fashion", might just translate to driving well over the speed limit, potentially putting geocachers and non-geocachers at risk.

Speeding's not a problem for those of us who don't own a vehicle. Hard to convince the streetcar driver to pick up the pace for a FTF.

And I am not sure where else all this alleged angst happens, but it sure isn't around here. Every other-cacher meeting at a new publication has been fun and sociable. In fact, if not for FTF attempts, I probably wouldn't have met any other local cachers as there is a dearth of events on transit where I am (oddly).

Back on topic, the best thing I got was an FTF geocoin which I now use to track my FTFs.

In my caches, I like to leave Tim Horton's gift cards or Canadian national gift certificates as a prize.

Why do you feel you need to "reward" the first person to find your cache with anything other than a blank logbook?

+1

I don't fell it nessecary to justify any reasons to you or anyone else.

I had a question and am thankful to those who have answered it.

And would appreciate more helpful ideas.

For those that find they disagree with the way I play the game, I respectfully ask you refrain from trying impose your game tactics on me.

Why do you feel you need to "reward" the first person to find your cache with anything other than a blank logbook?

Hey! That's a great idea for an FTF prize: a brand new blank logbook (completely separate from the actual cache logbook and well marked as such in the cache) which could be used as a logbook in a new cache to be placed by the FTF, if the FTF wishes to use it that way.

+1

I don't fell it nessecary to justify any reasons to you or anyone else.

For those that find they disagree with the way I play the game, I respectfully ask you refrain from trying impose your game tactics on me.

Eh, don't worry about it. This question never goes over well. :lol: I'd say unactivated TB, unactivated coins can be a little pricey. Of course there are often sales, and what not, I haven't looked at buying new Geocoins in quite some time. I also see where you're going with it being a puzzle, and not just another ordinary traditional. I personally don't participate in giving out FTF prizes, although I have in the distant past.

+1

I don't fell it necessary to justify any reasons to you or anyone else.

Eh, don't worry about it. This question never goes over well. :lol: I'd say unactivated TB, unactivated coins can be a little pricey. Of course there are often sales, and what not, I haven't looked at buying new Geocoins in quite some time. I also see where you're going with it being a puzzle, and not just another ordinary traditional. I personally don't participate in giving out FTF prizes, although I have in the distant past.

Yes, not only is the puzzle rather difficult, but there are only 2 caches in the area one is a nano and the other is out of service for now, so I am also trying to encourage people to visit the area. We have some great history here! Although we are on the way to a major tourist area, because of cut arounds, our little village is rarely visited, and I would like to put us back on the map! Therefore, I am planning to put at least 3 caches out this week with more to come. I do not plan on using FTF prizes for all of them, just the most difficult ones.

... the best FTF prize I won was a new nail polish bottle (the only time my wife was happy I went out geocaching :P )

Other ideas include :

LED flashlight or headlamp

Compass

Knife

Ticket for a free beer at the corner bar :rolleyes:

Gold medal

Gift card to local store

Anything very relevant to the cache location (local specialty, artwork,...)

In my sense a FTf prize does not always need to be costly. It can be funny or anything the finder can keep as a souvenir.

... the best FTF prize I won was a new nail polish bottle (the only time my wife was happy I went out geocaching :P )

Other ideas include :

LED flashlight or headlamp

Compass

Knife

Ticket for a free beer at the corner bar :rolleyes:

Gold medal

Gift card to local store

Anything very relevant to the cache location (local specialty, artwork,...)

In my sense a FTf prize does not always need to be costly. It can be funny or anything the finder can keep as a souvenir.

Those are really great ideas, since we are not far from a major lake the small camping swag is not only good ftf prizes, but good trade items as well!

I am getting ready to put out my first caches and am looking for ideas on good ftf prizes. I have a 4th of July coin and a USA trackable. I was just wondering if these would be suitable?

Are they unactivated coins, meant to be owned by the FTF person? Will they be able to activate them on their own, or at least be adopted over to them?

I've seen new caches saying that there were trackables "for the FTF", but they were not "gifts" meant to be kept by the FTF, but they were regular trackables owned by someone else. It's a huge disappointment for people to find out that the "FTF prize" wasn't meant to be kept by them.

If they are indeed unactivated coins, meant to be kept by the FTF claimant, then they are wonderful gifts.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I am getting ready to put out my first caches and am looking for ideas on good ftf prizes. I have a 4th of July coin and a USA trackable. I was just wondering if these would be suitable?

Are they unactivated coins, meant to be owned by the FTF person? Will they be able to activate them on their own, or at least be adopted over to them?

I've seen new caches saying that there were trackables "for the FTF", but they were not "gifts" meant to be kept by the FTF, but they were regular trackables owned by someone else. It's a huge disappointment for people to find out that the "FTF prize" wasn't meant to be kept by them.

If they are indeed unactivated coins, meant to be kept by the FTF claimant, then they are wonderful gifts.

B.

Yes, they are unactivated, I got them specifically for new caches. They would definitely be a gift for the finder!

Most folks don't leave anything for FTF. Heck, the majority of caches these days are freaking micro caches that won't hold anything anyway.

I've left gold dollars in my "film-can-sized" caches for FTF. I've found $1, $2, $5, and even a $10 FTF prizes. I've found FTF pins and certificates. (I used to do a lot of FTF caching.)

One of the local cachers (retiredprof) has about a zillion caches hidden. He leaves a $2 bill in his for FTF. Some of the local cachers will say there's a "recycled deuce" or a "recycled retiredprof deuce" in their caches as a FTF hide. These are $2 bills that they found in one of retiredprof's caches when they were FTF.

If you live in an area with an active FTF person be aware that many (likely most) of your FTF prizes will go to the same person.

Edited by Thrak

If you, for some reason, think "we" shouldn't, I'm more interested in hearing the reasons for that.

Well, for one thing, a forum search would turn up numerous posts where self-acknowledged FTF-hounds stated themselves that all they really needed was a blank log. But for myself, I prefer to not see the FTF game encouraged and perpetuated with special rewards like that. FTF seeking causes plenty of angst without putting material rewards out as a carrot.

Thanks for posting thus: just planted our first cache and was anxious I needed to get online and spend £6 on a coin to give away. :shocked: We've put a good assortment of swag in it, and will top up too, but was worrying I needed to do more for the FTF - glad to know one doesn't HAVE to and that some of you think it's kind of against the mood of caching. :blink: I was going to put a Disney rosette pin badge in, but child #1 stopped me as he wanted to keep it!!! :ph34r:

Maybe someone can tell me how 3 different users can log a first to find on a cache, after all it would be difficult for all 3 to find it at the same time ?

They probably were caching together, although unless all three grabbed it at the same time I would think there could only be one.

Around here we have individual cachers that get together to do caches as a group. And I've read logs where someone says they showed up to be FTF only to see another cacher there looking for it at the same time. So its very likely that two or more could share FTF honors.