Do I listen to my own advice?

We went benchmarking for a couple of marks that have eluded us for some time now. One of them is set vertically in a rock wall according to the datasheet. It is supposed to be 3 feet above ground level in the bottom of the dry-wash. We think that the dry-wash has filled in over time and we will need to wait until there is a real gully-washer to clean it out so we can find that mark (or wait for cooler weather to dig down along the face of the rock wall).

The second mark HN0568 G 144 was found as described. If I had listened to my own advice, I could have avoided climbing up to a rock wall (not the one mentioned in the datasheet). We know that USGS Topo maps have symbols for benchmarks quite often and they are usually pretty close to where the benchmark is located. In this case we measured the distance from the entrance to Crosby Canyon and noted where it put us and we re-read the datasheet. It seemed off a bit so we did as we recommend and went to 2 known BM locations and measured from them, 1 in each direction.

When we finally got to where we felt the mark should be we read again the datasheet and Shirley looked at the map and decided to clear the GPSr track and then saw the BM "X" on the map. I started looking out my window to see if I could spot the require rock wall and noticed at the same time as Shirley, that there was a "BM" marking where to look.

If we had only looked at the map and saw where the BM X was marked, we would have saved ourselves about an hours time in looking for this mark.

It was still a good day of benchmarking.

13c28edb-3097-4826-af4f-857244140c81.jpg

John

John,

Thanks for reminding me that I left this one hanging several years ago because of bad roads. Decided to use the Swingley Road instead of the Mission Creek Road to get to the West Boulder Ranger Station campground for a couple of days of birding after I saw your post.

USGS CHISELED SQUARE

03802dbc-0538-4e02-bef2-ca4e4dcf3175.jpg

Technical search not required - guess that I could have added this to the chisel mark and/or lichen thread. kayakbird

We know that USGS Topo maps have symbols for benchmarks quite often and they are usually pretty close to where the benchmark is located.

If we had only looked at the map and saw where the BM X was marked, we would have saved ourselves about an hours time in looking for this mark.

After I did that a couple of times I got smart and made .loc files with the locations of all BMs marked on the USGS topo maps for Yosemite. :laughing:

Whatever happened with VEX ? ;)

It is still there waiting for someone younger and more agile to get it.

When we were there with Klemmer and Fossillady it was very obvious that I was no longer the billy goat that I once was. Sanity took control and convinced me that I was out of my league on that one.

Would love to see someone actually get to that one.

John