Fustrating

So I hid 2 caches to get started. both were rejected for being to close to other caches so I moved them. They got rejected a 2nd time STILL to dadgum close. When I hid these the caches at the one location only one was showing up on the map. Now there are 2. I'm just going to give up on the one location. There's no place there for me to hid it without it being seen unless I go micro which I'm not going to do. The other one is too close to one cache and also still to close to the end of a puzzle cache and cause i didn't find it the reviewer can't even tell me how many feet away from it I am. This is frustrating. There needs to be a map design that shows available areas so we don't have to try 20 times to find a location that's not taken since they have to be 500 something feet apart. GRRRRRRRRR.

I understand your pain in having a cache rejected due to proximity issues. It's happened to me at least a couple of times.

Best thing to do is find the puzzle...then you'll know for sure. The easiest solution is to load up all the nearby caches in your GPSr and go to the spot where you want to hide your cache. If there are no caches within 528 feet you should be good to go.

To be honest, you have only found a few caches. You haven't found any of the puzzle caches nearby which is (as you said) part of the problem. I noticed your area is heavily populated and with very little green areas or woodlots, that can also be a challenge. Get out there and start exploring the nearby caches, as you clean out an area you may notice that there are pockets that haven't been touched. Just looking at your finds I noticed that there are some open areas 5-7 miles SSW of that area. Perhaps they need caches like yours in that area?

This help center article may be helpful:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

IMHO, if the only way you can find a spot for a new cache is to look for holes in a saturation map, then the area already has enough caches. The purpose of the saturation guideline is to encourage people to find new places to hide caches, rather than hiding more caches in an area that already has lots of them.

Been there done that many times....... It's what being a CO (or wanting to be a CO) is all about.

I will also mention - as an FYI - Often, people will have developed a cache pages but haven't 'enabled' them yet. Any of these un-enabled caches are in the system and will interfere with posting a new cache.

I was working on group of caches for a series. My 'template' was set right outside my front door. When I tried to hide a cache across the street in the park, I was first denied because of my own template!!

I give up I freaking give up. Only going to have 2 caches. you guys need to make a map that shows ALL CACHES INCLUDING PUZZLES when you go to hid a cache. no matter were I move it this one its till to dadgum close. i give up I lost 2 spots cause of this BS. now it will take other 3 days before it gets reviewed only for him to say again its too close to the final stage. I give up I REFUSE TO DO MIRCOS

Edited by Lexmarks567

a map that shows ALL CACHES INCLUDING PUZZLES

If this was done then what would be the point of puzzles and multis? People could just go to 'hide' a cache look at the map and see where the puzzle final was. EVERY cacher who has ever hidden a cache has had to go through the same thing.

I give up I freaking give up. Only going to have 2 caches. you guys need to make a map that shows ALL CACHES INCLUDING PUZZLES when you go to hid a cache. no matter were I move it this one its till to dadgum close. i give up I lost 2 spots cause of this BS. now it will take other 3 days before it gets reviewed only for him to say again its too close to the final stage. I give up I REFUSE TO DO MIRCOS

Boy, that was short-lived.

Look... there are at least one or two geocachers in the world that have managed to figure this thing out. I think you can, too. Just don't get discouraged so easily, OK?

...i give up I lost 2 spots cause of this BS. now it will take other 3 days before it gets reviewed only for him to say again its too close to the final stage. I give up I REFUSE TO DO MIRCOS

What I do is setup my cache page before actualy hiding the cache, then I fire my local reviewer an e-mail and ask if this location will work. I usualy get a response in less than a day. Works better that way.

Also, for proximity issues with traditional caches, just do a hide and seak search for the coordinates that you would like. The resules will show you how close other caches are. Remember, 0.1 miles (161m)

Are you just here to rant or are you actually going to take the good advice that was given you?

There are no shortcuts here, if you want to place caches in a cache-busy (i.e. saturated area), you need to take the time to solve the puzzles and do the multis nearby.

Unless of course you place your cache further our of town where there are few other caches. This is your other option.

There needs to be a map design that shows available areas
I think Lexmarks might be on to something here. Not that the map should show where all the caches are but a map that just shows a radius around areas that a cache can not be placed due to the saturation rule.

Nope. Gives away the locations of multi stages and puzzle finals.

The map you describe cannot be done without that side-effect. Even a fuzzy map can be used to get the locations to arbitrary precision.

There is a simple solution to the OP's problem: choose a less cache-dense area in which to place his cache. Urban areas are already over-saturated; there is plenty of room elsewhere.

Edited by fizzymagic

I think Lexmarks might be on to something here. Not that the map should show where all the caches are but a map that just shows a radius around areas that a cache can not be placed due to the saturation rule.

What would serve as the center of that circle, then?

Why would there need to be something at the center of the circle? Why couldn't there be a map that shows where a cache can not be placed?

Why would there need to be something at the center of the circle? Why couldn't there be a map that shows where a cache can not be placed?

This map would be filled with circles where you can't place a cache. By its very nature, a cache would exist at the center of each circle: the one blocking that circular area.

You said show a radius. How do you intend to show a radius without showing the circle that it defines, and if you show a circle, something has to be at the center, and I would presume that center would frequently be a mystery or the final of a multi cache. If all you are looking for is any 0.1 mile area without visible, known caches, there is a GSAK macro for that. But it isn't going to help with the types of caches that we are discussing here.

This map would be filled with circles where you can't place a cache. By its very nature, a cache would exist at the center of each circle: the one blocking that circular area.

Yeah. What he said.

Like This? B)

8c3ac17c-f6c0-498f-8ac5-d8af6a1ba67d.jpg?rnd=0.4794254

Thanks I was feeling lazy and didn't want to show my example. Now if I lived in that area and had found all the traditionals and I could just look at that map I would instantly know which circle(s) was in an area that I hadn't found a cache. From there it wouldn't be too hard (depending on how much zoom was allowed) to figure out the final for the puzzle/multi.

(This now gives me an idea for a puzzle!)

Edited by IkeHurley13
...There needs to be a map design that shows available areas ...

There are maps that show where caches are located. If you go to any cache listing in the area you are thinking about placing a cache then scroll down and click on the "view larger map" link on top of the area map you will see every cache placed in your area (Note that if you are not a premium member you won't see those icons). Then you can see if there are open areas for placement. Another way that we check to make sure a spot we've chosen is available is to do a search on the main page. Put in the coordinates of your cache then do a search. You will see all the caches nearby with the distance to each cache from your coordinates. This takes only a couple minutes and saves a lot of time if you find that you are within the exclusion zone.

You didn't mention whether your caches were not approved just because of the saturation in your area or because of not having permission to place a cache in that location. That's a common issue.

As someone relatively new to the game and very new to hiding caches I would suggest abandoning the area you're in until you solve the puzzle caches nearby.

I ran into a similar issue. I had planned to hide a cache in a local trail system but there are a lot of puzzle caches in the area, some that I've solved, some that are extremely above my head. So, I had to give up that location for the time being and I found a new spot to place my cache.

Overall I would suggest you not give up so easily. This is a great game and with a little patience can be very rewarding.

...There needs to be a map design that shows available areas ...

There are maps that show where caches are located. If you go to any cache listing in the area you are thinking about placing a cache then scroll down and click on the "view larger map" link on top of the area map you will see every cache placed in your area (Note that if you are not a premium member you won't see those icons). Then you can see if there are open areas for placement. Another way that we check to make sure a spot we've chosen is available is to do a search on the main page. Put in the coordinates of your cache then do a search. You will see all the caches nearby with the distance to each cache from your coordinates. This takes only a couple minutes and saves a lot of time if you find that you are within the exclusion zone.

You didn't mention whether your caches were not approved just because of the saturation in your area or because of not having permission to place a cache in that location. That's a common issue.

That won't show mystery caches or finals to multis. This is what the OP said:

The other one is too close to one cache and also still to close to the end of a puzzle cache and cause i didn't find it the reviewer can't even tell me how many feet away from it I am.

Like This? B)

8c3ac17c-f6c0-498f-8ac5-d8af6a1ba67d.jpg?rnd=0.4794254

Now, where could the caches be...

This is pretty close to what I was thinking just maybe without the outline of the circle so each of the circles blend in to each other especially in high saturated areas. Everyone seems to be stuck on the fact that you could possibly solve a multi or puzzle cache at least getting close to the final coords by looking at the map. Why is that a bad thing? I thought the point of Geocacheing was to find hidden containers.

Everyone seems to be stuck on the fact that you could possibly solve a multi or puzzle cache at least getting close to the final coords by looking at the map. Why is that a bad thing? I thought the point of Geocacheing was to find hidden containers.

Some people want a challenge, to solve a mystery that few others could crack. If most people can bypass the puzzle by guessing, it's not a puzzle anymore. And some Cache Owners like to make a devious puzzle to make people ponder. You can find hidden containers all over the place, so if one or two that can't be deduced, go find the rest.

But it is a good thing that some caches can be found by looking at the map, when otherwise it may not be found at all. I've done that a couple of times when there's a missing stage in a Multi, before it gets archived.

Edited by kunarion

I understand your pain in having a cache rejected due to proximity issues. It's happened to me at least a couple of times.

Yep, me too. I solve the problem by doing a nearby PQ of the area, placing them into MapSource or other mapping product, so I can get a feel of where to avoid. As for puzzles, you have to solve them.

Everyone seems to be stuck on the fact that you could possibly solve a multi or puzzle cache at least getting close to the final coords by looking at the map. Why is that a bad thing? I thought the point of Geocacheing was to find hidden containers.

Would you mind, then, posting the coordinates for this cache here? Thanks.

N 42 47.534 W106 20.206

Dosen't bother me, I would love for more people to find my caches.

Anyhow there is a difference between actually having the Coords of a cache final and knowing the general location of the final. Just think about when you get to a cache and the coords are off by 30' or more how much longer and how many more places you look to find the container.