Magellan Explorist 500

DonnaMay

I have a Magellan Explorist 500 and I can't seem to download geocaches from the website. I have installed/uninstalled Magellan communicator over and over. It will not run...it just keeps installing and uninstalling. So I have to manually input the data into Magellan manager which take for-ever! What is the secret? It says Magellan communicator is compatible with Magellan Explorist 510.... does that mean I can't use my 500 series for this feature? Please tell me this isn't so.... lol

Any help would be appreciated. I am fairly computer illiterate so please make comments in dummy proof computer language... thank you so much.

Donna

We have that unit, but I have never used the Magellan Communicator since about the second day we got it. It is a very clumsy and useless program, IMO.

We use GSAK, and it works like a charm! This program is free (with a nag screen at start up), but is well worth the $30.00 (one time)if your going to do any caching at all.

It has a bit of a learning curve, but there are a great bunch of people that hang out in the gsak forum that will give you all the help you ask for.

If you mean, one cache at a time from each cache page, I haven't been able to do that to our 500. Instead, If only one or two, I'll enter manually. If it is several, I will make a bookmark list and put the few caches in it. Create a pocket Query of that list and use it to put the caches into the 500 using gsak. It is almost easier to do that explain it once you learn how. Gasak will allow you to put larger pocket queries in the 500 as well.

(I've probably gotten you completely confused now :o )

Edited by BC & MsKitty

We have that unit, but I have never used the Magellan Communicator since about the second day we got it. It is a very clumsy and useless program, IMO.

We use GSAK, and it works like a charm! This program is free (with a nag screen at start up), but is well worth the $30.00 (one time)if your going to do any caching at all.

It has a bit of a learning curve, but there are a great bunch of people that hang out in the gsak forum that will give you all the help you ask for.

If you mean, one cache at a time from each cache page, I haven't been able to do that to our 500. Instead, If only one or two, I'll enter manually. If it is several, I will make a bookmark list and put the few caches in it. Create a pocket Query of that list and use it to put the caches into the 500 using gsak. It is almost easier to do that explain it once you learn how. Gasak will allow you to put larger pocket queries in the 500 as well.

(I've probably gotten you completely confused now :o )

Thank you to both of you!! I downloaded GSAK, read the manual and now I have a TON of caches on my GPS!!

That is why you see all those "Clyde Is King!" signs along the highway. (Well, OK, you don't, but maybe you should)

When I got my 500 it was just about state of the art (unless you were talking to Garminites.) <_<

I still haven't found a reason to get anything else...

glad you got your problem fixed! :lol:

Thank you to both of you!! I downloaded GSAK, read the manual and now I have a TON of caches on my GPS!!

That is why you see all those "Clyde Is King!" signs along the highway. (Well, OK, you don't, but maybe you should)

When I got my 500 it was just about state of the art (unless you were talking to Garminites.) <_<

I still haven't found a reason to get anything else...

glad you got your problem fixed! :lol:

Glad you solved the problem too. Yep, communicator only works for the new generation Explorists, and the Tritons. These are all paperless GPS units, so without being technical (and having no clue anyways), I'd say it's a "paperless thing", and it doesn't know where to send all that data to an older unit.

Thank you, everyone, who took the time to explain how to download new caches onto my Explorist 510. How frustrating that it is not supported anymore. It used to be very easy to download the caches directly from geocache.com. However, with your help, I have GSAK and am back in business.