Weather Map and Info

Funky Brian

One can easily add a link to the local weather service on your desktop, many have 'gadgets' that show that right on the screen.

Since I am the only person using my computer, I have different 'profiles' for different pastimes. Each desktop displays the tools that I use for that pastime.

Further you can also do a 'home' page for your browser with all sorts of links to the information. I still find folks who think that your home page has to be some online site.

Anyway the possibilities are many. I try to have weather, avalanche and/or wildfire (in season), and highway conditions a click away.

Not much need for it as a feature here, but if it is wanted, perhaps just a box that you can select and display an existing gadget over top of the main page if you like.

Doug 7rxc

If you are using the Geocaching Map Enhancements add-on, and you are in the USA, you can get data from the Nexrad weather radar as an overlay to the geocaching map. See http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme_maps.htm for instructions how to add custom maps and overlays. The configuration code for Nexrad is

{"alt":"Nexrad  Weather","tileUrl":"http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/cgi-bin/wms/nexrad/n0r.cgi", "layers":"nexrad-n0r-900913", "format":"image/png", "transparent":  true, "attribution": "Weather data © 2012 IEM Nexrad", "maxZoom":16,  "overlay":true}

Nexrad doesn't give a forecast as such, but it lets you see the storms coming in.

You always want to go caching when the weather is right, but we might not always know what the weather is like. I suggest that Groundspeak makes a weather map section for your area and a daily forecast. :anibad:

Why? More importantly, why waste resources and developer time on things that are easily available elsewhere?

Why? More importantly, why waste resources and developer time on things that are easily available elsewhere?

Exactly.....

There are sooooo many different websites & Apps online to find the weather.

Geocaching developers need to stick with geocaching related projects.