Are you allowed to place caches on bus stops?

Coldgears

Like the metal things, that you stand under, with a single bench? Usually with an advertisement inside.

I've never seen one hidden like that before and it seems like the perfect place for a cache I plan to hide tomorrow, but don't want to have the listing refused. I just found out you can't place caches on mailboxes, and don't want to make another stupid mistake.

Like the metal things, that you stand under, with a single bench? Usually with an advertisement inside.

I've never seen one hidden like that before and it seems like the perfect place for a cache I plan to hide tomorrow, but don't want to have the listing refused. I just found out you can't place caches on mailboxes, and don't want to make another stupid mistake.

NO!

I have found quite a few on bus stop shelters. They are just another urban micro in the midst. You would be facing the same permission issues of just about every other urban micro out there. Locally, our Metro bus service does not own the benches and shelters. Those are provided by the individual city they are placed in. In a city the size of Los Angeles, no one really cares if you stick a hide-a-key on them. What does happen is that the disappear quite often. Probably thrown away when the guy comes to change the advertisement. Also, if it is a busy location, finders are not going to be patient. They'll end up exposing the cache to people that are standing at that stop several times a week and will be curious.

Did you think about why you've not seen a cache hidden on a bus shelter?

Wouldn't the bus shelter be the property of a government agency, just like the mailboxes?

Headline coming soon: "Bomb squad responds to reports of a suspicious object in a bus shelter."

You could always ask your local reviewer. I'm betting that person would have the definitive answer.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

is it April Fools Day? No, I guess not. I have seen at least over 100 of these easy.

PS. This does not imply I am in favor of such hides, its just what I have seen, so obviously they get published.

The mailboxes is a USA thing. Have seen mailbox hides while in Canada for example. Maybe Canadians are the reverse and block bus stops for all I know.

Edited by lamoracke

Did you think about why you've not seen a cache hidden on a bus shelter?

Wouldn't the bus shelter be the property of a government agency, just like the mailboxes?

Headline coming soon: "Bomb squad responds to reports of a suspicious object in a bus shelter."

You could always ask your local reviewer. I'm betting that person would have the definitive answer.

B.

Probably the best advice you can get. Your reviewer would know if this is a local issue. Like I said, it is a very common hide in my area and there have never been any problems except that they don't last, but that may not be true for where you live. Mailboxes are a different issue as they are federal property and the mail inside is protected. There have been debates here on if the USPS would ever really have a problem with a cache, but that really doesn't matter as Groundspeak has taken a position that they are off limits.

Edited by Don_J

I've found a ton of these. There was even an entire series of 20 placed around here a couple of years ago. Only 3 remain.

Did you know muggles hang around at these "bus stop" things? It's like they're waiting for something...

Not a good place for a cache.

I just found out you can't place caches on mailboxes, and don't want to make another stupid mistake.

Must be a US thing. I've found countless caches hidden on mailboxes here in Canada, including several series.

We found a series at bus stops that was put out in the winter time to get cachers out. Tested the stealth mode in urban areas, and took us to some rural spots that were beautiful. Most of the series were out of urban areas.

One bus stop cache we did on vacation had a super view across the water to the First Nations village, and this big bus shelter was where the students from that village are picked up/dropped off for the water taxi. Neat getting that bit of local info.

is it April Fools Day? No, I guess not. I have seen at least over 100 of these easy.

PS. This does not imply I am in favor of such hides, its just what I have seen, so obviously they get published.

The mailboxes is a USA thing. Have seen mailbox hides while in Canada for example. Maybe Canadians are the reverse and block bus stops for all I know.

I can tell you I have had at least 3 archival notices from caches in Ontario, Canada in my 50 mile notification range, where the reviewer archived them for being on Canada Post boxes. Along with the same blah, blah, blah, we hear about U.S. mailboxes in their note. Not that I could ever remember who hid these caches, or find the listings. Just trust me. :lol:

Yes Coldgears, you can hide a cache in a bus stop shelter. *cough*lame*cough*. Haven't gotten rid of all those dollar store keyholders yet?

I can tell you I have had at least 3 archival notices from caches in Ontario, Canada in my 50 mile notification range, where the reviewer archived them for being on Canada Post boxes. Along with the same blah, blah, blah, we hear about U.S. mailboxes in their note. Not that I could ever remember who hid these caches, or find the listings. Just trust me. :lol:

Yes Coldgears, you can hide a cache in a bus stop shelter. *cough*lame*cough*. Haven't gotten rid of all those dollar store keyholders yet?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The guidelines require that you get explicit permission for any cache placed on private property.

Private property would include bus stops, as well as places like Wally World parking lots.

From what I've seen, many Reviewers choose to ignore this bit of the Guidelines, so you might be OK. :rolleyes:

I just found out you can't place caches on mailboxes, and don't want to make another stupid mistake.

Must be a US thing. I've found countless caches hidden on mailboxes here in Canada, including several series.

Mailboxes in the US are federal property. Geocaching & federal property generally don't mix.

We've found a bunch. In the area where we live almost no one uses the bus and pick ups are few and far between so the venue is not as bad as in some areas. Almost all are at busy intersections so its not one of our favorite hunts ( no high muggle area is, Bamette won't even get out the truck)

Haven't gotten rid of all those dollar store keyholders yet?

Not one of the bus stop caches I've found has been larger than a nano (blinky). At least with the shelters around here, there just isn't a hiding place large enough to accommodate a MKH without it going missing within a week or two.

That's the greatest thing about blinkie nanos. They cost a few bucks, and you have to mail order them. Can you imagine if they were free, like film canisters? :blink:

The guidelines require that you get explicit permission for any cache placed on private property.

Private property would include bus stops, as well as places like Wally World parking lots.

From what I've seen, many Reviewers choose to ignore this bit of the Guidelines, so you might be OK. :rolleyes:

Daaaaaaaangggggggg, Good to see you again Riff.

I've found a ton of these. There was even an entire series of 20 placed around here a couple of years ago. Only 3 remain.

Did you know muggles hang around at these "bus stop" things? It's like they're waiting for something...

When searching for containers in such places, timing is everything, to avoid lots of questions. Often I will wait til people move on, so I can grab the container, then as I'm signing it, a bunch of people suddenly show up (I hope this doesn't happen at Bus Stops :anitongue:). Now everyone's sitting there with nothing to do but watch me place a "container" under the bench and walk away. Or I can wait til everyone leaves. Are the Bus Stops worth waiting around to grab and re-hide the cache container? Because it would be bad to cache there if I'm waiting for a bus -- when it arrives, there's no time to re-hide the box.

Edited by kunarion

I have found dozens.

Lame? Yes!

Even worse than a lamp-kilt.

I don't think the bomb squad has ever been called out, though.

There are lots of mailbox hides in Canada, but they aren't allowed there either. If reported to a reviewer, they likely would be archived.

Huh. Didn't know that. I do notice that the topic you linked to started in 2008. I could list dozens of mailbox caches that have been published in my area since then, with names and descriptions that unequivocally state that it is hidden on a mailbox (ie. with "mail" right in the name). The reviewers seem to have had no problem with publishing them, and there have been 3 different reviewers over that time. They don't seem to be overly concerned.

Just a minor quibble: Around here, almost all the bus stops are public property, because the bus system is a municipal public transit system, not a private bus stop. I know of only a couple private-property bus stops, and they're big bus terminals, not the simple bus stops the OP was referring to. But YMMV.

Not that most bus stops are particularly interesting places to go geocaching...

89-cent store BTW.

And yeah, that's my goal.

I found a section of Philadelphia without a cache hidden for a mile, so I want to plug up the hole while using up a magnetic key holder.

Is "plugging up the hole" really a great reason to bring cachers to that location?

some bus shelters are old and funny and rare, I got one inside a hollow back side of one of those.

other bus shelters are just there to play with, why not,

i thrown one of top of them and added a good hint so people know where to look,

there is a little hill there, so it can be seen and grapped with out causing damage to the shelter,

I think one of the most important issues with all cache locations,

is you dont want people to cause tear or wear or damage to the site or items near it,

however ANY where people walk, they do make a little road, even near that one "special" tree deep in a forrest,

so to get real, all kinds of hides, do attract more people to go there,

is it worth it ? what other options exist,

just dont and drop it all, let all stay home, and get ill and fat,

or accept we as humans leave a tiny mark on the earth we walk on, every footsteep counts as one tiny mark.

89-cent store BTW.

And yeah, that's my goal.

I found a section of Philadelphia without a cache hidden for a mile, so I want to plug up the hole while using up a magnetic key holder.

Just because there's a hole, doesn't mean it needs to be plugged up.

Just because there's a hole, doesn't mean it needs to be plugged up.

True. And I hope there's not a "hole" because of a bad neighborhood? I am somehow reminded of a thread a European started a few years ago, where they posted a pic of a big urban "hole" in a high crime Detroit neighborhood, and didn't understand why there was a hole.

It was acutally a pretty interesting thread, and people posted urban cache holes in other American cities.

EDIT: Quoted wrong post. Fixed now.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I wouldn't say lame, but some consideration should be put into this

I would.

Lame.

There I said it.

I'd rather have no cache than a bus stop cache.

We have tons around here. I hate 'em.

There's a really great puzzle cache near here. It's really a great puzzle. I expected something great for an ending that would earn it a favorite point.

it was at a bus stop.

All I could say was, "Why?" There are so many great places to choose from, and they had so many options being within two miles of the posted coordinates. I just figure they were lazy.

I've been at a bus stop looking for a cache and had the bus pull up and the door open and the driver wait for me to get in. Then he's annoyed because I don't want to ride the bus but I was at the bus stop.

I've held up his route, and a whole lot of people who want to get somewhere.

Other times I've had to sit and wait until the bus shows up to take the people away, and then I have to wait until the people who have unloaded have left, and then more people show up.

and this is a good idea WHY?

Knowschad had a good idea. Check out how much maintenance they take first.

There's one near here that is constantly disabled because it's been taken.

There are creative places to put caches, even key holders.

Find some spot with a great view, or a historical marker, or a secret great park. I know you're a creative guy. You can do it. Just don't be lazy.

Put a little more effort into it and you will be rewarded with favorite points, great logs, less maintenance and the feeling like you have added something good to the community rather than something for people to grumble about how geocaching has gone downhill.

I"ve found a number of these, they were all nanos.

Some are OK, if the bus stop is not too busy, but one I looked for was impossible unless you went late at night.

Of course, you need to ask permission, but other than that, I say, if it floats your boat, go for it.

If other people don't like these, they don't have to go looking for them.

Not a good place for a cache.

Your post reminded me of a cache that I found in LA several years ago. I was spending a free day going from cache to cache when I wandered up on this one. The arrow pointed right at the bus stop and there were several people there waiting for the bus. I almost walked off right then, but I figured that I could at least glance around to see if I can spot it and make the find without anyone noticing. I was giving the general area a once over when a bus pulled up. All of the muggles got on the bus and then it drove away. I made the quick find at the now deserted bus stop and moved on to the next cache.

So you're putting out a crappy container in a crappy location just because there isn't a cache within a mile? You're seriously telling me that there's NOTHING over the course of that mile that's more interesting than a public bus stop? Seriously? Come on man, use your brain. Put in a little effort and take cachers somewhere that's worth visiting.

So you're putting out a crappy container in a crappy location just because there isn't a cache within a mile? You're seriously telling me that there's NOTHING over the course of that mile that's more interesting than a public bus stop? Seriously? Come on man, use your brain. Put in a little effort and take cachers somewhere that's worth visiting.

I think that's a bit harsh. You know what, I used to take the bus and it was realy boring standing there waiting. Why not put a cache there, alot of people may appreciate it.

Kind of like I appreciate playground hides. :D

I think that's a bit harsh. You know what, I used to take the bus and it was realy boring standing there waiting. Why not put a cache there, alot of people may appreciate it.

Kind of like I appreciate playground hides. :D

I certainly don't. To each their own, and I get that, but the more crappy caches are encouraged, the more they'll be placed by people who find them and think they're the norm.

Coldgears, if you absolutely have to hide a cache at the bus stop, please realize that a hide-a-key won't last. That also makes the hide a bad idea.

HA! I remembered this thread. Yes Virginia, you can not place caches on Canada Post boxes. As if they shouldn't be outlawed by The Frog just for being lame in the first place. :unsure: Arrived in my inbox today:

Greetings from a Volunteer Reviewer,

There has been a report that this geocache has been placed in a way that violates the Listing Guidelines.

In this case the the reported issue is cache is that the cache is placed on Canada Post property which is covered under the Listing Guidelines.

As a result this listing has been Archived.

You may request that this listing be unarchived if the listing/placement are confirmed as being Listing Guideline compliant.

Please refer to the links at the bottom of this message for the Listing Guidelines and Groundspeak Help Centre.

CacheShadow - Volunteer Reviewer

Better fix that "is cache is that the cache" thing though. And they spelled "center" wrong. :ph34r:

believe it or not, I actually have seen some bus stop hides that have a little ingenuity. Sure, they are few and far between compared to the total # of them, but they do exist.

I will actually post an example here which has many favorite points. Don't think the owner will mind, its a PEACE cache after all.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=77d4cef5-e5e3-47f5-81de-0e7d451c9ac2

With regard to caches on Canada Post boxes.

I know that the reviewers wont allow them and that Cache-tech has received info from a post master saying that they were not allowed.

On the other hand, I recall that a local cacher here in NB contacted Canada Post and received a written response stating that there was no official policy at Canada Post regarding attaching items to boxes. As evidence, I think we have all seen notices about meetings and about lost pets attached to the mailboxes and they dont seem to get removed.

I am not advocating that people do it, but I am aware of quite a few caches on mailboxes in different provinces

PA

Edited by Ma & Pa

I know that the reviewers wont allow them and that Cache-tech has received info from a post master saying that they were not allowed.

On the other hand, I recall that a local cacher here in NB contacted Canada Post and received a written response stating that there was no official policy at Canada Post regarding attaching items to boxes. As evidence, I think we have all seen notices about meetings and about lost pets attached to the mailboxes and they dont seem to get removed.

I am not advocating that people do it, but I am aware of quite a few caches on mailboxes in different provinces

PA

CacheTech is pretty much the senior reviewer for all of the Great White North. :) Someone telling CT that such caches are not allowed, and someone from another Province getting a response there is no official policy from another Government employee does not surprise me in the least though. Government bureaucracy. It's the same everywhere.

PA

We've got lots of caches hidden on Canada Post boxes here. They're actually quite convenient as there's usually a nice parking space right at GZ.

PA

CacheTech is pretty much the senior reviewer for all of the Great White North. :) Someone telling CT that such caches are not allowed, and someone from another Province getting a response there is no official policy from another Government employee does not surprise me in the least though. Government bureaucracy. It's the same everywhere.

I hope nobody thinks that I was criticizing Cache-Tech. I was simply adding more information to the discussion.

We have met both Cache-Tech and Cache Agent who are the reviewers for the Maritimes. Cachers here feel that we are very lucky to have them. They are always so cooperative and compromising and willing to help. I have nothing but respect for both of them.

PAul

PA

I hope nobody thinks that I was criticizing Cache-Tech. I was simply adding more information to the discussion.

We have met both Cache-Tech and Cache Agent who are the reviewers for the Maritimes. Cachers here feel that we are very lucky to have them. They are always so cooperative and compromising and willing to help. I have nothing but respect for both of them.

PAul

Oh no, you must be totally misreading me. I'm saying Cache-Tech, who is one of, if not the senior reviewer in the whole Country was told something by a Government employee, and someone else was told something totally different from another Government employee. I don't think anyone could say you were criticizing CT (or CA).

PA

We've got lots of caches hidden on Canada Post boxes here. They're actually quite convenient as there's usually a nice parking space right at GZ.

I'm sure there is a nice parking spot right next to it. :) But I don't know, I could say "we have lots of holes drilled into trees with film canisters stuck in them here". It would still be against the guidelines. I guess the question here is have you ever seen a cache in B.C. archived for being on a Canada Post box? Because that's at least the 4th one I've seen in Southern Ontario come in my email inbox.

I'm sure there is a nice parking spot right next to it. :) But I don't know, I could say "we have lots of holes drilled into trees with film canisters stuck in them here". It would still be against the guidelines. I guess the question here is have you ever seen a cache in B.C. archived for being on a Canada Post box? Because that's at least the 4th one I've seen in Southern Ontario come in my email inbox.

I see people doing 90mph on the freeway nearly every day.

I don't think that makes it right.

Nor am I going to try it to see what happens.