help please with my downloading to GPS

ayrbrain

I have a new (last christmas) Garmin etrex 30

I have no problem putting co-ords onto it, but today I am having problems.

I select the caches I want to put on.click send to GPS it tells me it is on, then when I look on the GPS it tells me it isn't there

what on earth am I doing wrong?

I am no techie so in simple words please

also if I click on the cache again it tells me already on GPS! but it isn;t there

many thanks

Edited by ayrbrain

Not that it's a problem, but being a PM, you really should be using Pocket Queries. It seems a goodly number of folks have troubles with the "Send to GPS".

With PQ's you can load from 1 to 1,000 caches at a time (and it includes hints; all of the cache page info -- 'cept photos; plus last five logs). You can run up to five PQ's per day -- can you find 5,000 caches per day?

You are paying (PM) for that bennie, you really should be using it. You are stifling your caching and your GPSr by not using them.

Run the PQ (find link on your profile page), unzip the file, drag and drop into your unit, and go caching! Enter your field notes as you find them, plug it back in and upload the field notes. Go to field notes, make each into a full log (or, if you are so inclined to simply do TFTC or something like that -- just submit that) and one click submits each.

Hi,

It sounds like you've reached the units way-point limit, (1000 I think). Delete all way-points and start filling it up again. On the Etrex 30 I don't think you cat delete just some way-points, it's all or nothing. So if you want to keep any of them download them to Mapsource/Basecamp before deleting from the unit.

Regards Bernard

Many of the Garmin units do the following: when you search in teh GPS by "nearest", they only show you the nearest 50 caches within some distance from the location where the GPSr thinks it is currently located. So if you were 100 miles away from home when you turned it off and are now at home loading it for caches near your home, then they will not show up because the unit thinks it is still 100 miles away and does not consider those to be "near" enough to qualify as being "nearest".

Find the cache in the GPSr by Name. That Find mode is not restricted this way.

Hi,

It sounds like you've reached the units way-point limit, (1000 I think). Delete all way-points and start filling it up again. On the Etrex 30 I don't think you cat delete just some way-points, it's all or nothing. So if you want to keep any of them download them to Mapsource/Basecamp before deleting from the unit.

Regards Bernard

This is wrong on several counts. Caches are not treated as waypoints in the eTrex 10/20/30. The cache capacity of the eTrex 30 is 5000. Caches that are individually loaded can be individually deleted as each is in its own GPX file. Caches in a PQ must be deleted in bulk. Some use software on the PC that allows a user to delete a single cache in the software then overwrites the GPS GPX file with a replacement GPX file. This makes it look like you are deleting a cache from the GPX file, but you really aren't.

As others have suggested, OP should really be using PQs then there is no need for Basecamp or GSAK for simple cache management.

I’m guessing that the gpx files are loaded but the GPS internal registry is corrupt and ignoring some gpx files. Try connecting GPS to computer to remove all gpx files from gpx folder in the GPS and start the GPS with no gpx files to wipe the internal registry clean. Shutdown the GPS, connect to computer and put the gpx files back in the gpx folder. Now the GPS should display all caches. I recommend keeping your gpx files on your external memory so you can do this easily in the field. Simply remove the microSD to remove the gpx files. No computer needed.

You didn't mention what computer you have. There is a known problem with MACs and Garmins. When you hook it up does it open up the file browser so you are sure it's seen by the computer. While your device can hold 5000 caches it will hold fewer GPX files, about 200 I think. More than that won't be read into memory.

Many thanks for all replies. I use an Acer laptop which is a right pain! As it takes ages for it to recognise my GPS always has!

I ended up deleating all caches on my gps, and starting again, the new ones went to my gps. The distance of where the caches are isn't a problem as they do go on to the gps. The problem we had was the computer told me they we were already on my gps! But we could not see them at all, In fact just as i was about to throw both the laptop and gps out the window last night, i noticed that it still told me one was already on the gps, but i cannot see it at all. Never mind, i can remember where this one is that i adopted, well i think i can :unsure: Thank you to all.