"Finding" your own cache

KrillKat

The are a few legitimate reasons for finding a cache that owned by your account, which is probably why the system allows it. Even Groundspeak says it generally "bad form".

I'd argue that since the find count isn't really a score it makes no difference and if someone thinks they have a legitimate reason it's not something to get one's knickers in a twist over.

I highly recommend it. As my caches are known to be some of the best on Terra Firma, I find and log them all. They are really very enjoyable.

It is what has helped me to win the Gold Medal for Geocaching in 2011 & 2012.

Remember there is no "score" in this game and "you can play it anyway you wish" That is the beauty of it!

Happy Caching! :anitongue:

I have found several of my caches. However I found all of them before I owned them. Just make sure you don't judge someone just because they have found logs on one of their own caches.

Yep. 7 of my currently owned caches have "Found it" logs from me, but only because I found them before I adopted them.

I'd argue that since the find count isn't really a score it makes no difference and if someone thinks they have a legitimate reason it's not something to get one's knickers in a twist over.

I'd say it's a misrepresentation of your experience.

If someone did it a bunch and built up a large find count, a CO might mistake them for an experienced cacher when they logged a DNF on a cache, thus precipitating an unwarranted maintenance visit. Could cost a CO hours of time and plenty $$$ in fuel for the cachemobile.

If it was an honest mistake because they didn't know better it's one thing.

Doing it repeatedly and intentionally is another.

Is it ok to 'find' your own cache? I know some people do and some don't. I am wondering what the general consensus is on this.

How about 99.9% of people don't, and .1% do? :laughing:

It's probably even higher than that. As someone 9 years in, who considers himself to have spent way too much time on this website, I've literally seen less than 10 people log their own hides (caches listed under their own account) as finds, and probably half of those were mistakes, where the owner was kind of clueless, for lack of a better term.

It is not the social norm to log your own caches as finds, and statistically, no one does this. Period. However, this will not stop the "I don't care what other people do" crowd from coming here, and arguing until they're blue in the face. Trust me, they'll show up, and this thread will go on for pages. :lol:

P.S. Obviously, I'm not talking about the situation Webscouter describes, where you've adopted a cache. That's fine. I'd do it myself if it ever happened. But no one who starts threads on this subject is talking about that. They're talking about caches you hid yourself, listed under your own account.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Is it ok to 'find' your own cache? I know some people do and some don't. I am wondering what the general consensus is on this.

How about 99.9% of people don't, and .1% do? :laughing:

It's probably even higher than that. As someone 9 years in, who considers himself to have spent way too much time on this website, I've literally seen less than 10 people log their own hides (caches listed under their own account) as finds, and probably half of those were mistakes, where the owner was kind of clueless, for lack of a better term.

It is not the social norm to log your own caches as finds, and statistically, no one does this. Period. However, this will not stop the "I don't care what other people do" crowd from coming here, and arguing until they're blue in the face. Trust me, they'll show up, and this thread will go on for pages. :lol:

P.S. Obviously, I'm not talking about the situation Webscouter describes, where you've adopted a cache. That's fine. I'd do it myself if it ever happened. But no one who starts threads on this subject is talking about that. They're talking about caches you hid yourself, listed under your own account.

We have one here who logs all their caches to "get them off my list." What list? :blink:

I have found several of my caches. However I found all of them before I owned them. Just make sure you don't judge someone just because they have found logs on one of their own caches.

Yep. 7 of my currently owned caches have "Found it" logs from me, but only because I found them before I adopted them.

I'm with A-Team. I have a couple that I found and then later adopted.

I can think of a few situations. You found a cache and then you adopted it. Thanks just a timing thing so I don't think that counts. Some people log an attended on their own events. I don't but I understand the thinking that it is not a found so I don't see anything wrong with that. And interesting twist is the throw down. A cacher goes to find a cache which isn't there and places a replacement cache. That could be a debate on its own.

As for posting a find on a cache you placed yourself which I believe is the question then my view is that is bad form. I agree with others that you can't find something you his because you already know what and where it is. I have a cache that took me about 40 minutes to find. I would not consider that a find. I would consider that a good hid or just sad on my part. The is no prize for the most finds and more finds does not make you a better cacher than anyone else. I have set personal goals for my self and have even gonna a little cache crazy this year like finding over 450 caches in a day, over 550, inappropriate week, and over 700 in a month. When people tell me how impressive that is I remember that friends of mine made that look minor shortly after that. With the exception of owning a major power trail claiming finds on your own caches won't amount to much so why bother. Another view could be that if it doesn't amount to much then why is it a problem. It comes down to how you want to play the game and do you care what others think of you.

Personally I don't claim finds on caches I placed.

Other people, in previous topics, have made good arguments as to when and why to log a found on their own cache. Mostly they have been in cases of cache adoption where where, obviously, they weren't the one who hid the cache and where there cache was not re-hidden like it was found so the CO had to spend a considerable amount of time search for his own cache. But most (99.9%) of the time it make more sense to log visits to your own cache as Owner Maintenance or as a Note.

Since it's impossible to "find" something when you already know where it is, I've never and will never log a "Found it" on a cache I'm currently the owner of.
There's an assumption here that just because you're the owner of a cache, that you already know where it is.

I've had to tell more than one CO where his cache was when he DNFed it. Sometimes it's just as hard for the CO to find the cache as it is for anyone else.

And with multi-person accounts, perhaps one person hid the cache and another logged the find (without knowing where the cache was beforehand).

But the finds I've posted to my own caches were either posted prior to adoption, or posted by mistake (instead of an Owner Maintenance log) and soon corrected.

Since it's impossible to "find" something when you already know where it is, I've never and will never log a "Found it" on a cache I'm currently the owner of.
There's an assumption here that just because you're the owner of a cache, that you already know where it is.

I've had to tell more than one CO where his cache was when he DNFed it. Sometimes it's just as hard for the CO to find the cache as it is for anyone else.

And with multi-person accounts, perhaps one person hid the cache and another logged the find (without knowing where the cache was beforehand).

But the finds I've posted to my own caches were either posted prior to adoption, or posted by mistake (instead of an Owner Maintenance log) and soon corrected.

Very good points, but I just want to point out that Groundspeak seems to agree with my interpretation of a find:

It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own cache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit another traditional cache (for example to place or retrieve a travel bug). Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances.

In either case, you're not "finding" a cache because you already know where it is. Save the smiley face for use when you've truly discovered a hidden cache.

Very good points, but I just want to point out that Groundspeak seems to agree with my interpretation of a find:

It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own cache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit another traditional cache (for example to place or retrieve a travel bug). Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances.

In either case, you're not "finding" a cache because you already know where it is. Save the smiley face for use when you've truly discovered a hidden cache.

Groundspeak says a lot of things that make little sense (or at least require them to issue a clarification from time to time).

My guess is that they would like a definition that reserves the Found It and DNF logs for when you go out and hunt a cache. The Owner maintenance log is reserved for owners doing maintenance on caches. And one can also post a a note in other cases.

Some lackey trying to post a reason not to use the Found log on one's own cache copied a phrase that became popular on the forums first "You can't find something if you already know where it is".

The problem is that's a poor reason to give for not using the Found log. In English, at least, found is often to use when we go to retrieve something where we left it. I find my car right where I parked it all the time.

Only a few people get their knickers twisted when everyone one in a group logs a find after on person finds it and shows it to the rest. We don't get upset we the owner has provided a spoiler that tells us exactly where to look. If the coords are in a parking lot and near a lamppost, I almost always already know where to look.

And as niraD pointed out, with cache migration, or sometimes just the changes that occur to the location overtime, cache owners often have trouble finding their own caches, even when they knew exactly where to look.

I'd argue that while Groundspeak can point out that it's considered "bad form" to log one's own cache, they can do a better job at explaining the reason for this. For a start they can point out why they allow it. Because there are a few reasons for doing it. The problem is if you were to list the reasons, there would not be 100% agreement over what they are. So we end up with a few owners who routinely log their own caches and do it for some silly reason that probably would not make many people's list.

Here's an example of something that makes my list, that others might disagree with. IMO, if you had a cache that hadn't been found in a while, perhaps even has a few DNFs, and the owner goes to look for it and "finds it" right where it's suppose to be, that a Find log provides better input thatn a note or an Owner Maintenance. For one, it updates the date last found. That often helps others decide whether to search (or how long to search). Second, some use filters in GSAK and other tools to eliminate caches which have recent DNFs and no finds. I don't know if these filters detect the Owner maintenance log, I'm sure they don't count notes. But a Found it from the owner is a sign the cache is there and can be hunted.

If they made it like TBs where the owner doesn't get a stat for logging their own bug then none of this would be an issue. Since it's not a score. You could have the owner log a Found It to their hearts content to let people know it's still there.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

In English, at least, found is often to use when we go to retrieve something where we left it. I find my car right where I parked it all the time.

In English, the meaning of words often depends on context. "Found" can mean "to experience" as in "He found comfort in the spectacular vista." "Found" can mean "to regain" as in "She found her voice." "Found" can mean "to declare" as in "His fellow geocachers found his find to be questionable." Etc.

In geocaching, there's a general consensus about what "found" usually means. There are exceptions, of course, but in the context of geocaching most people look upon finding your own hides as being rather cheesy. Just as most frown upon armchair finds as well.

Here's an example of something that makes my list, that others might disagree with. IMO, if you had a cache that hadn't been found in a while, perhaps even has a few DNFs, and the owner goes to look for it and "finds it" right where it's suppose to be, that a Find log provides better input thatn a note or an Owner Maintenance. For one, it updates the date last found. That often helps others decide whether to search (or how long to search). Second, some use filters in GSAK and other tools to eliminate caches which have recent DNFs and no finds. I don't know if these filters detect the Owner maintenance log, I'm sure they don't count notes. But a Found it from the owner is a sign the cache is there and can be hunted.

So, you're not only in favor of owners logging finds on their own caches in this situation, but you're actually in favor of them logging multiple finds on a single cache that they own.

If people want to search for caches that are likely still there, then they can read Owner Maintenance and Note logs as well as Found and DNF logs. Your idea is sort of like concluding that we shouldn't have winners or losers in baseball games because it's too much work to keep score.

Cheesy. Either people who don't know better, or numbers cachers. Either way it's cheesy.

I agree. It must be one of the more pointless things you can do in an already pointless for-fun game. However, the world record for cheesiness must go to the "speshul needs" cachers who create a D5 mystery with a sock puppet account, only to claim an FTF with their real account hours later. That it later turned out to be technically unsolvable only adds to the comedy.

But to each their own. If you think you're "winning", you are. "Winning", that is.

In English, at least, found is often to use when we go to retrieve something where we left it. I find my car right where I parked it all the time.

In English, the meaning of words often depends on context. "Found" can mean "to experience" as in "He found comfort in the spectacular vista." "Found" can mean "to regain" as in "She found her voice." "Found" can mean "to declare" as in "His fellow geocachers found his find to be questionable." Etc.

In geocaching, there's a general consensus about what "found" usually means. There are exceptions, of course, but in the context of geocaching most people look upon finding your own hides as being rather cheesy. Just as most frown upon armchair finds as well.

So, you're not only in favor of owners logging finds on their own caches in this situation, but you're actually in favor of them logging multiple finds on a single cache that they own.If people want to search for caches that are likely still there, then they can read Owner Maintenance and Note logs as well as Found and DNF logs. Your idea is sort of like concluding that we shouldn't have winners or losers in baseball games because it's too much work to keep score.

Toz is long winded and I don't always agree with his point of view, but this is certainly not what he's saying. Based on his explanation, there may be REASON to log your own cache as found, that doesn't mean he's in favor of doing it over and over again.

I agree with the azul duckie. Make it so a cacher's find on his/her own cache doesn't count towards their find count, then all the arguments on either side are either supported or squashed, there's no more debate.

Unless CO's start logging finds on their caches without actually visiting them...

So, you're not only in favor of owners logging finds on their own caches in this situation, but you're actually in favor of them logging multiple finds on a single cache that they own.

If people want to search for caches that are likely still there, then they can read Owner Maintenance and Note logs as well as Found and DNF logs. Your idea is sort of like concluding that we shouldn't have winners or losers in baseball games because it's too much work to keep score.

Toz is long winded and I don't always agree with his point of view, but this is certainly not what he's saying. Based on his explanation, there may be REASON to log your own cache as found, that doesn't mean he's in favor of doing it over and over again.

Suppose an owner's cache has a string of DNFs this week and the owner makes a maintenance visit to locate (or possibly replace) their cache. Two months later, another string of DNFs causes the owner to make another maintenance visit to that same cache. The way I read Toz's explanation, he would think that this is a good reason for the owner to log multiple finds on that single cache.

Potentially. He's pointing out a potential positive, not supporting repetitive logging of one's own cache.

It's actually not a bad reason to log one's own cache. I still think it's cheesy and 99.8% of the time done either by new cachers who do it by mistake or by numbers hounds who care about nothing more than how many smilies they have. I just don't think it's quite fair to twist somebody's words around to make them sound like they support a practice.

Potentially. He's pointing out a potential positive, not supporting repetitive logging of one's own cache.

It's actually not a bad reason to log one's own cache. I still think it's cheesy and 99.8% of the time done either by new cachers who do it by mistake or by numbers hounds who care about nothing more than how many smilies they have. I just don't think it's quite fair to twist somebody's words around to make them sound like they support a practice.

If you go back and read his full post, I think you'll see that Toz isn't just pointing out a potential positive; he apparently thinks it's a good reason to log a find on ones own cache. He says "You can't find something if you already know where it is" is a poor reason for discouraging owners from logging their caches. He then lists what he apparently believes are several good reasons for owners to log finds on their own caches, including the one I quoted. Maybe I'm misunderstanding his explanation, but I'm certainly not twisting Toz's words.

You think this is "actually not a bad reason to log one's own cache." I disagree. While I believe it's helpful to inform people that your cache is okay, I don't feel you need to post "Found It" logs to do this. An Owner's Maintenance log conveys this information.

There have been a number of threads on this. My opinion, it's cheesy and the only time I would have a 'Find' on my own cache would be if I adopted it after finding it.

#1 Caches migrate

My sister has recently DNFd twice on her own cache, LOL, and someone else found it. Another one of hers, somebody moved it and everybody assumed it was muggled. While she went looking for a new spot to hide one, she found the supposedly missing cache, LOL. She felt she was entitled to a Find so she logged it as such. :D

#2 Not everybody will remember exactly where they put every cache. To be honest, I've had a hard time trying to find a few caches I've placed. Hiding them at dusk and/or in ivy doesn't help. :ph34r: One of my ivy caches took me 20 minutes to find. :rolleyes:

I even logged a find on a cache I owned at the time. I'm not sure if the furry fish who posted before you would shove me in the ignorance or the apathy category, but I was OK with it. As the Central Florida Rep for the Florida Geocaching Association, I had agreed to meet with my fellow reps from across the state to hide a series of caches for an upcoming event. At the last minute, life intervened, and I could not go. I met with another Rep, passed on about a hundred bucks worth of swag, and begged him to hide at least one cache in a swamp. They did, and sent me the coords to type up the cache page. While I attended the event, I went and found the cache, logging it as such.

Bad form? Maybe. But I had fun doing it. :lol:

You know this whole "You cant find something when you know where it is and GS says its bad form anyway" argument could be easily solved with a couple of lines of code that make the found it log disappear for a CO and on a cache that has been previously found and GS knows it.

This obviously means that regardless of the "Bad Form" statement they know there are legitimate reasons to do either.

Now as stated I wont log my own cache but I should add currently to that statement, and because I don't like it when things don't add up I try to make sure I don't double log a cache.

Now the only times I have double logged a cache is when

One was adopted out and moved and at the time I didn't think twice about it, but I changed it once numbers started getting on my nerves.

Then there was the Good cache that fell in a run of 101 consisting of mostly quick hide caches. Because I hadn't properly updated my database and couldn't remember doing that cache it got found and logged a year later.

As far as I am concerned both are legitimate reasons for double logging and the first reason would be a good reason for a CO to log their own especially when you consider that it doesn't effect me.

I even logged a find on a cache I owned at the time. I'm not sure if the furry fish who posted before you would shove me in the ignorance or the apathy category, but I was OK with it. As the Central Florida Rep for the Florida Geocaching Association, I had agreed to meet with my fellow reps from across the state to hide a series of caches for an upcoming event. At the last minute, life intervened, and I could not go. I met with another Rep, passed on about a hundred bucks worth of swag, and begged him to hide at least one cache in a swamp. They did, and sent me the coords to type up the cache page. While I attended the event, I went and found the cache, logging it as such.

Bad form? Maybe. But I had fun doing it. :lol:

Welcome back, CR! No, no, no, you know that's fine in your case. And the adoption thing is fine. Now that I think of it, a guy asked me to adopt 3 caches several years ago, and if I'm not mistaken, I had not found one of them yet. A moot point, as he decided not to take that out of town job offer after all.

Everyone who asks this question is talking about caches they hid themselves, listed under their account. For example, the OP has a pretty high number of finds for being a few months in, and have hidden 17 caches. I'm sure they're talking about those 17 caches.

Oh, and yes, I have DNF'd (logged even) my own cache once. I put it in an opening in a standing tree, and the tree fell, cracking at about the 7 foot high level. No, I did not log as a find when the last finder told me where it was, and I went back later. :lol:

Suppose an owner's cache has a string of DNFs this week and the owner makes a maintenance visit to locate (or possibly replace) their cache. Two months later, another string of DNFs causes the owner to make another maintenance visit to that same cache. The way I read Toz's explanation, he would think that this is a good reason for the owner to log multiple finds on that single cache.

So the reason you shouldn't log your own cache is because it's like logging multiple finds on a cache There is some unwritten rule of one find per cache - why? If the find count was some score you might make some argument that logging your own cache or logging a cache multiple times is an "easy" way to up your score. But another way to up your score is do a power trail. Using the find count as a score is ludicrous. One cacher likes difficult caches that take multiple trips to find while another sticks to urban park and grabs. If this is not a score, who really cares if an owner were to post a find every time the check on their cache?

The point of geocaching is to go out and have fun. The secondary point is to find caches. It is this second point that leads Groundspeak to say that logging your own cache is bad form. They want people to hunt the caches that other people hid and they would like cachers to report on their experience doing this with either a found or a DNF log. There is an owner maintenance log for reporting you did maintenace. It even removes the needs maintenance flag if there is one. Groundspeak would prefer that this log is used for reporting maintenance visits instead of using found.

I gave an example of why an owner might still want to log a find and showed that it has some usefulness beyond an owner maintenance log. That doesn't mean I recommend using it in place of an owner maintenance log. I would hope people keep the use of Found on their own caches to a minimum just because this log is meant to share when you find a cache hidden by someone else. But in the course having fun, there are times when using the "wrong" log serves a purpose.

Here's an example of something that makes my list, that others might disagree with. IMO, if you had a cache that hadn't been found in a while, perhaps even has a few DNFs, and the owner goes to look for it and "finds it" right where it's suppose to be, that a Find log provides better input thatn a note or an Owner Maintenance.

When I do go find my own cache that nobody could find, I'd have some stern words for the Cache Owner in my Found It log. “Why hasn't the CO been checking on this to be sure it's OK?” things like that. And if the Cache Owner complains, he can take it up directly with me. I'll insist that both of me go log a Found It, to be sure everything's fine. Since each of me is with somebody else, that's four more Found It logs. And that will clear up that issue.

Edited by kunarion

If you go back and read his full post, I think you'll see that Toz isn't just pointing out a potential positive; he apparently thinks it's a good reason to log a find on ones own cache. He says "You can't find something if you already know where it is" is a poor reason for discouraging owners from logging their caches. He then lists what he apparently believes are several good reasons for owners to log finds on their own caches, including the one I quoted. Maybe I'm misunderstanding his explanation, but I'm certainly not twisting Toz's words.

You think this is "actually not a bad reason to log one's own cache." I disagree. While I believe it's helpful to inform people that your cache is okay, I don't feel you need to post "Found It" logs to do this. An Owner's Maintenance log conveys this information.

Actually, it sounds like a great way to announce that your cache is findable and it would circumvent the GSAK filters that would otherwise exclude your cache. You can always delete the log after the real finds start rolling in.

Groundspeak says a lot of things that make little sense (or at least require them to issue a clarification from time to time).

My guess is that they would like a definition that reserves the Found It and DNF logs for when you go out and hunt a cache. The Owner maintenance log is reserved for owners doing maintenance on caches. And one can also post a a note in other cases.

Some lackey trying to post a reason not to use the Found log on one's own cache copied a phrase that became popular on the forums first "You can't find something if you already know where it is".

Or, just maybe they used that phrase because they agreed with it?

I'm with A-Team. I have a couple that I found and then later adopted.

Interesting point about adopted caches. I have two caches adopted, one of which I've never logged a found for. Could I "legally" log a found on my own cache? It feels a bit weird to me so I'll leave it as it is.

50 Posts now about this!!- You should see all the action on my caches- people from all over the world are viewing them! This just re-inforces how great I truly am!!!

0.1% indeed, it will be next to impossible for anyone to join this club. If you are interested please submit me your application and details via geocaching.com and if approved I will advise you of the password and secret handshake.

This gets more and more fun everyday! :anitongue:

50 Posts now about this!!- You should see all the action on my caches- people from all over the world are viewing them! This just re-inforces how great I truly am!!!

0.1% indeed, it will be next to impossible for anyone to join this club. If you are interested please submit me your application and details via geocaching.com and if approved I will advise you of the password and secret handshake.

This gets more and more fun everyday! :anitongue:

You are starting to remind me of the guy that came here, insisting in using the word "jeek" for "geocache".