post hints or cache info to gps?

Carrikers

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this awesome hobby of geocaching. I have a garmin gpsmaps 60cx and was wondering if there was anyway to download more info besides the coordinates and the name. I thought certainly there would be a method by which to do so, but either have failed to discover it, or wish for something not yet created. I use PQ to download a large area in spots i often frequent or routes i travel. I will often times just turn on my gps and hunt caches near to me. Once there, if i am having any sort of difficulty, i have no way to look at a hint or even site description. Any way around this? I do have a smart phone but am often searching in areas where phone signal do not exist. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this awesome hobby of geocaching. I have a garmin gpsmaps 60cx and was wondering if there was anyway to download more info besides the coordinates and the name. I thought certainly there would be a method by which to do so, but either have failed to discover it, or wish for something not yet created. I use PQ to download a large area in spots i often frequent or routes i travel. I will often times just turn on my gps and hunt caches near to me. Once there, if i am having any sort of difficulty, i have no way to look at a hint or even site description. Any way around this? I do have a smart phone but am often searching in areas where phone signal do not exist. Thanks in advance.

Since you are PM and already have the PQ(s), you can save the .gpx to your phone for offline use via more than a few Geocaching apps. Some free, others not and with varying degrees of utility.

It is possible to squeeze a little more info into the 60cx, but not much.

So on my gps itself there isn't a big difference in a gpf and a loc file? But using the gpx file in unison with an app will give me the increased info?

Yes.

Agreed. I think. I have a 60 series, but it's been mothballed for a couple years. :) It pretty much doesn't mean a hill of beans if you use the .gpx or .loc. As the cachemeister said, there is a way with the program GSAK you can squeeze a little cache info, or a hint into it.

It's an older unit, and paperless caching is all the rage now. If you were to run out and buy one of the two cheapest current models on the market (Garmin Etrex 10 or Magellan Explorist 110) which run about $110 each, you would have full paperless caching with the .gpx file.