Caching Milestones

Dulce-Joy

I celebrate every find. It's been a non-stop party for the last 3 days. :) I plan to keep celebrating finds, especially milestones, with little treats for me and my family. I'm not yet saving specific caches for my milestone finds. I can't afford to since I'm limited to caches within walking distance of my location until I'm back home. Also, since I'm a beginner, I can't guarantee finding that special cache, which would ruin the milestone altogether.

Do you celebrate your caching milestones? If so, how? And did you save a special cache especially for any of your milestones?

I absolutely did it for #1,000. I choose the 13th and final cache of a series of hiking caches in great locations that required you to find the first 12 to calculate where the final was. By #2,000, I decided I didn't care about that any more, and it was just a random ordinary cache in a County Park. I would have forgotten which it was myself, but don't you know, people were "watching" me, and posted a congratulations thread to a local forum. :laughing:

#3,000? Who knows, I might go back to choosing something special. I'll get back to you in about 3 years at my current find rate. :blink:

There is a challenge cache in the UK that wants different types of icon on milestones, so I am working toward that - so far trad, mystery and virt.

It makes the lead-up to a milestone interesting as I need to make sure I am on the right number before getting that one!

Next one I am trying for an Earthcache, then Multi and Event...

Yep the people I cache with go out of our way to try to find the most awesome caches for our milestone. My plans for 1k didn't pan out. But 2k, 3k, 4k have all been great experiences. I also get the added bonus of doing awesome caches when someone else in that group hits a big milestone. I'm already thinking about 5k and have a few that are at the top of my list.

Around here, pretty much every 1000 milestone (1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 ....) is celebrated by a tribute cache (if you are liked by the community that is :laughing:) where a group of cachers come and watch as the honeree has to find the cache. Some of the really special people get an event to go with the tribute.

Where I live there are a bunch of people that have reached 1000 finds, a few the have reached 2000, and very few that have reached 3000 or higher. The tribute golden ammo can is often placed to recognize the 1000 find achievement but I can only recall seeing one instance of a tribute ammo can for a higher number milestone.

I used to try and get a "significant" cache for 100 increments. For one of them I had targeted a specific cache that had some personal significance (it was based on Pong and my first job working in technology was at Atari, testing Pong games). Somehow I either miscounted or had a log deleted and the milestone cache ended up being one that had an interesting name but turned out to be near a dumpster behind a business. I picked a good one for 900 (The Spot) and my 1000th find was my tribute ammo can. It took me over 2 years before I found my 1100th cache and I doubt that I'll set any other milestones again. At my current rate I won't get to 2000 finds until 2027.

For the hundreds, I try for (but don't always succeed) an interesting cache. #3900 was by a very creative local cache hider. It required walking out 40' on a downed oak tree, over a swamp. I'd like to plan a great one for #4000, but that may very well happen on the next vacation. Though Newfoundland should be a memorable caching trip! We'll see, but it's hard to plan a great caceh hide on vacation. Oh, well.

We try to make our milestone find caches ones that are in very nice locations, or well thought out or something else along those lines. We actually 'saved' making the find of a very difficult puzzle cache for our 500th find just so it would be more memorable. We took a photo with one of us holding a sign we made with the number 500 on that.

I decided at 100 to buy myself the milestone geocoin, and also some cache containers to start placing a few caches.

When I was a we (GeoSACEM) we had planned on hiding one for each of us in a series; I may take the newly purchased items to do this, albeit alone.

I'm now over 110, and the goodies are either in-house or in the mail.

We've always done EC's for 100's. Almost never have to worry about a dnf and even if the previous 99 caches teach us nothing, we know we will learn something on the next one. :laughing:

That is very well thought. Great idea!

Yes, that is a good idea. I'm surprised at how many of you people mention trying to do something a little special for the hundreds. NO OFFENSE, PLEASE :lol: It's just that I'm acquainted with probably a couple dozen people in the 2,000-10,000 find range, and I don't know anyone who does this. Or maybe some of them do, and we never talked about it? I know for sure my 3 closest associates in the 3,000+ range don't do it.

My first 1000th Milestone couldn't have been better. I was a 12km hike in the mountains to a Ghost Town (Monte Cristo) in Washington. It just happened to be when a whole group was planning a day trip up so I thought what a perfect opportunity to make it my 1000th Milestone.

My second Milestone (2000th) I just did yesterday. I so wanted to get a really cool Earthcache called Saltwater, Sandstone and Swiss Cheese just south of Bellingham but unfortunately the tide was too high to attempt it.. so I had to settle for a 'cool' cache rather than an Awesome one~

Will have to try and plan my next one to be extra special~

I try to consider a cool cache for every 100 and certainly for every 1000 finds, but sometimes it does not work out that way.

Usually invite more friends than usual for the 1000 finds one. Some of my friends do the same.

I still want to do something special for my 25K. Was hoping for GCD for the 20K but that busted. Maybe Mingo? Guess I have to start saving my money to go.

I'm not even sure how many finds I actually have.

144 :smile:

:laughing: No, not how many show on my profile. Trust me, that number has little resemblance to how many caches I've found.

Oooh, I understand. :cool:

Same with us. We have probably not logged more than we have. We have driven up to many that we could tell exactly where they are but didn't see the use in it. Have walked up & actually seen the "cache" (term used loosely in a lot of cases) but didn't even bother to pick it up. Written on the log and then either didn't see the point, forgot or was just too lazy to go online. :unsure:

Numbers mean nothing to us. Looking for some kind of challenge or show me something I haven't seen before!

My 100th cache was the oldest in B.C. which was cool.

For my 1000th I planned on finding the A.P.E. cache but that was muggled as I was getting close. When 1 was about 10 away a series of 14 caches came out along a dyke so my 1000th was one of those.

My 2000th was a nano on a cross walk sign.

My 3000th was another in a series but at least it was a hike on a mountain.

Maybe for 10,000.

I think the only milestone that I cared about was my 100th find. Back then 100 finds made you SOMEBODY in the geocaching world and as a new geocacher I thought should be a goal. It wasn't long after that that I decided numbers didn't matter and I had no interest in being SOMEBODY, I just wanted to have fun and be me. Since that point my 667th find has every bit as much signifance as my 600th or 700th.

Around here, pretty much every 1000 milestone (1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 ....) is celebrated by a tribute cache (if you are liked by the community that is :laughing:) where a group of cachers come and watch as the honeree has to find the cache. Some of the really special people get an event to go with the tribute.

In the Seattle/Greater Puget Sound area this would require a few hundred caches, maybe more. At just over 3,200 finds in 9+ years I am not even in the top 200 in Washington.