Possible event coin in the works

ocklawahaboy

I've never designed a coin before and don't have the money to/am not interested in going through the professional minting process.

Here's a very rough mock-up of a trackable I'm thinking of making up for an event I'm hosting in October.

Just seeking some honest but polite feedback. I'm using polymer clay and plan to hand paint the colors in. My art teacher wife has all the gear and coatings to make it look great. They'll be thicker, cut round and more evenly pressed for the finished run.

What I'm trying to determine is if folks think they will generate enough interest for me to try to go through the approval process and buy codes or if I should just make them up as non-trackable tokens to hand out/sell at the event.

No matter what, I'm pretty sure they will not be offered for sale online.

Let me know what y'all think.

0a00dc41-33c1-46b1-a943-33ca01d2372e.jpg

140e9c49-7fc4-41aa-9682-a563aea82849.jpg

These are awesome! I definitely see the appeal of a trackable, hand made coin, but I worry about how well it would hold up outside. Do you have time to do a little testing? I tried using FIMO for stages of a multicache, but it didn't hold up very well and was easily scratched and dented. It would make a great token of rememberance though. Can't wait to see it painted! :)

These are awesome! I definitely see the appeal of a trackable, hand made coin, but I worry about how well it would hold up outside. Do you have time to do a little testing? I tried using FIMO for stages of a multicache, but it didn't hold up very well and was easily scratched and dented. It would make a great token of rememberance though. Can't wait to see it painted! :)

I had thought about including steel wire reinforcement inside of it. My wife makes jewelry out of this stuff all the time and has no problem with breakage. I plan to get this one painted and baked quickly so I can do some testing.

We've been working on some colors for the coin. We're going to do the backs in either sold gold or silver. Also, the border and outline features on the front will be the same color. I'm just about to submit it to the pad to see if I can get it approved and buy some codes so it will be trackable. Got to get a few better detail brushes for the coatings and finish building the press for "minting" and I'll be ready to start production.

6da99ecd-4484-4b37-a911-ca86aeb9c6cf.jpg?rnd=0.9262136

Edited by ocklawahaboy