Hydroelectric power stations

I would like to create a collection of any types of hydroelectric power stations.

It should contain the following informations.

Description of the power station (building, location, count of turbines and so on...)

Type [required]

* Conventional (dams)

* Pumped-storage

* Run-of-the-river

* Tide

* Underground

* Ocean current

* Other

Other -> Description [optional]

Turbine [optional]

* Francis

* Kaplan

* Pelton

* Cross-flow

* Other

Generation capacity [optional]

for example in mega watts

Edited by Tharandter

I like the idea. It could have been my idea ;-)

No really, I had the very same idea about two years ago, but I feared the overlap (redundancy) with the Water Dam category. If you have a solution for this particular problem I will support it.

I like the idea. It could have been my idea ;-)

No really, I had the very same idea about two years ago, but I feared the overlap (redundancy) with the Water Dam category. If you have a solution for this particular problem I will support it.

Thank you for your answer. I think there is no overlapping to the dam category. A dam is a self-consistent thing with a possible use of power generation. Hydroelectric power stations can be very different. I think there is much more redundance within the Church-categories (for example "This old church", "Roman Catholic curch" and so on).

I think you will find most existing hydro power stations are located with a dam. There are exceptions but most have a dam. However if you are doing the actual hydro power station then there would not be a redundancy as they are usually a separate entity, located adjacent to the dam. There used to be a pumped storage one near me until the levee (dam) around holding lake gave way one night and caused a real mess downstream.

Do not try to justify your category based on other categories especially if you do not know the sequence that the categories were created. This old church was created before the other church categories thus at the time there was no redundancy.

Do not try to justify your category based on other categories especially if you do not know the sequence that the categories were created. This old church was created before the other church categories thus at the time there was no redundancy.

I'm sorry! I just wanted to explain that this is no redundancy.

The idea is not bad. But I'm thinking about the photographic aspect.

If you look through the water dams category the pictures are great. High dams, water coming out, etc.

Your category would show some machine houses. From the technial side interesting.

Perhaps I'm thinking so because I'm not such a technical fan, more the nature fan.

Photos should be mainly of the building or the water-pipes from the power plant, because only a few plants are publicly accessible.

I don't think that this is a categorie you could only visit if you have the technical knowledge. The technical informations are optional, not necessary.

I know a lot of hydroelctric power stations without a dam (converted mills for example).

Here is my first try for creating a new category:

Managed By: Hydroelectric power rangers

Description:

Our goal at "hydroelectric power stations" is to locate and waymark any types of hydroelectric power stations all over the world.

Expanded Description:

To qualify as a waymark you have to find a hydroelectric power station. This could be a huge power plant for the electricity supply of a mega-city or a converted mill at a little river. The power plant can also be abandoned.

Instructions for Posting an "hydroelectric power station" Waymark:

To post a "hydroelectric power station" waymark you have to include the GPS coordinates of the building or the main-entrance and at least one clear picture of the power plant itself. If possible add some informations about the power plant (for example, history, construction…)

For naming the waymark please use the following template for the title:

Name of the power plant - place, "county", state and country

For example the hydroelctric power station in "Kochel am See".

"Walchenseekraftwerk - Kochel am See, Lk. Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bayern, D"

A detailed description of the power plant is welcome. If you know something about the turbines or the type of the power plant (see choose-boxes), please add.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

To post a log to an existing waymark, you will need to post a unique picture of the power plant. If is not open to the public, please do not enter private property. A picture from the distance is sufficent. If it's possible to enter the machine hall, a picture of it would be nice.

Variables:

• Operational

• Visitor center

• Year built

• Address of the power plant

• Type of power plant (dam, pumped-storage…)

• Type of turbine (Francis, Kaplan )…

• Generation capacity (for example in mega-watts)

Can you please help me with the translation?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Tharandter

Personally, I would be very interested in the hyrdo-power stations category. I am an officer in the Dams cat, and even though most hydro power stations are at Dams, the research required for each would be totally different. The same person that spots a Dam and thinks it somthing they would like to waymark wouldn't be the same person as would research the info for a hyrdo station, in most cases.

We saw a REALLY cool Hydro station in the Snowy Mountains of Australia, where the power was generated from water coming down through huge pipes miles long.

5742957860_8ca0d3bfb0_z.jpg