GPS Problem Android App

My old Droid X phone broke so my brother in law gave me another Droid X until our upgrade. When using the app the old phone was dead on accurate on the google maps. Now this new phone is about a mile away. I played with some settings but can't seem to get the GPS accurate. Anyone have any ideas?

My old Droid X phone broke so my brother in law gave me another Droid X until our upgrade. When using the app the old phone was dead on accurate on the google maps. Now this new phone is about a mile away. I played with some settings but can't seem to get the GPS accurate. Anyone have any ideas?

A mile away is usually positioning via a cell tower position. Probably not GPS.

Install an App like "GPS Test" or "InViu GPS-Details", enable GPS and go outside. Those apps will tell you how many sats are seen and if any of them is used for positioning.

If you have Wifi or Data connection ready there's also a menu function in "GPS Test" to request A-GPS Data which might help getting the first fix.

Getting the first GPS-Fix, especially if the last use of GPS was more than a week ago may take up to 30 minutes. Especially if you move while waiting.

Also different phones have different quality in GPS-reception and -positioning. Some have badly placed GPS-antennas. Some use additionally GLONASS Satellites (which may speed up the first connection and helps under bad reception conditions) some only NAVSAT.

Downloaded the GPS Test app and I am reading 8-9 satalites and it's still not working like the old phone. Looks like it's still picking up wifi and cell tower info.

In GPS Test the dot left to "GPS on" becomes green when the satellite fix is acquired. If it is still yellow, you will have to wait. And this may take up to 20-30minutes. Did you wait so long?