Oregon freezing on Wherigo Actions

elonka

I've searched around a bit and haven't seen a topic on this, so my apologies if this is a duplicate.

In developing a Wherigo cartridge, I'm finding that it plays fine on the iPhone, Android, and PPC emulator, but consistently freezes an Oregon 550t. I've checked for every known issue: My cart has no message longer than 800 characters, isn't using Show Screen, isn't using OnClick, never has more than 5 zones active at a time, etc. See WHERmIzombieGO

The problem always occurs on an item's "Actions" button. I'll tap on the item, such as the "G.U.T.S." device in inventory, but then when I tap on "Actions", the Oregon freezes, and won't come out of it until I reboot the device. It's easy to reproduce, because the item is in inventory right at the beginning of the cartridge, with only one zone active, and causes the freeze even then.

In researching the problem, I found another cartridge that does the same thing, the excellent "Text Crash Test" debugger. When using that TCT cartridge, trying the "Standard Test" almost always causes the same problem: Tapping on "Actions" causes the device to freeze. MOST of the time. Every so often, after a reboot, it'll work, I can run through the test normally, and the Oregon gets up to the expected 950 characters or so before crashing. But then after repeated reboots, it'll stick with the "freezes on Actions press" problem.

I've only run this test on one Oregon 550t (the only one I could find to borrow), so I'm wondering if maybe it's just a bad unit? I'm also noticing that it doesn't have a memory card in it, which might be exacerbating the problem, but I don't know Oregons well enough to know for sure.

I'm also wondering, is there any data on how many people are using Oregons to try and play Wherigos, versus those who are switching to their SmartPhones? I think I've put more hours into trying to debug this one Oregon problem than in developing the entire cartridge, so I'm starting to wonder at what point to just say, "Sorry, may not work on Oregons," and leave it at that.

Any advice appreciated,

Elonka :)

I'll tap on the item, such as the "G.U.T.S." device in inventory, but then when I tap on "Actions", the Oregon freezes, and won't come out of it until I reboot the device. It's easy to reproduce, because the item is in inventory right at the beginning of the cartridge, with only one zone active, and causes the freeze even then.

Loaded and checked on an oregon 450t...no freeze...all is working as it should. I have tried it several times.

On Gamin Player V5.50

I'll tap on the item, such as the "G.U.T.S." device in inventory, but then when I tap on "Actions", the Oregon freezes, and won't come out of it until I reboot the device. It's easy to reproduce, because the item is in inventory right at the beginning of the cartridge, with only one zone active, and causes the freeze even then.

Loaded and checked on an oregon 450t...no freeze...all is working as it should. I have tried it several times.

On Gamin Player V5.50

Thanks much, that's really helpful. Does your 450t have a memory card? I'm wondering if that might be the problem.

Elonka

As a followup on the Oregon 550t I'm working with, after much tedious re-compiling and trying different versions, I have figured out that it has nothing to do with length of text strings, but instead seems to be related to the number of enabled actions on an Item. For example, I have several different possible text and dialog messages, A, B, C, and D. None of them are over 700 characters. If I have only one enabled at a time, A, B, C, or D, the cartridge runs fine on the Oregon. If I have two enabled though, then it freezes and crashes. I don't think it's related to text length, as even if they use very short text strings, any combination of two commands still crashes the unit.

Insert random "I hate Oregon" text string here...

Elonka

Yes, i have an extra memory card...Oregon 450t with 4GB built in memory (with system files and the map which comes with the oregon) and a mini sd card with 4GB (with my OSM maps). But i think it doesn't matter whether there is an extra card or not.

Commands on items :

I have some items with 5 or 6 commands and sometimes some commands are invisible (1 or 2 or 3 of 5), depending on situation.

At the end of the Wherigo all commands are visble. Never have had any freezes.

Maybe you use unalloweded or special characters in your message just "[" or "%" ... ?

Or are there too many concatenates ? Remember : People say the maximum for oregon is 850 chars per messagebox, but if there are many concatenates with text, variable, text, variable....the summary of all chars is over the limit.

Yes, i have an extra memory card...Oregon 450t with 4GB built in memory (with system files and the map which comes with the oregon) and a mini sd card with 4GB (with my OSM maps). But i think it doesn't matter whether there is an extra card or not.

Commands on items :

I have some items with 5 or 6 commands and sometimes some commands are invisible (1 or 2 or 3 of 5), depending on situation.

At the end of the Wherigo all commands are visble. Never have had any freezes.

Maybe you use unalloweded or special characters in your message just "[" or "%" ... ?

Or are there too many concatenates ? Remember : People say the maximum for oregon is 850 chars per messagebox, but if there are many concatenates with text, variable, text, variable....the summary of all chars is over the limit.

Hi, thanks for the info.

My cartridge isn't using concatenation, text variables, or any special characters. My guess is that the problem is just related to that one specific Oregon unit. I just haven't found any others that I can borrow for testing!

Elonka

Hi, thanks for the info.

My cartridge isn't using concatenation, text variables, or any special characters. My guess is that the problem is just related to that one specific Oregon unit. I just haven't found any others that I can borrow for testing!

Elonka

Is the unit firmware updated?