moving geocoins

Edesiree

So I am still fairly new to geocaching and have found 3 coins, all of which I logged and then moved on. One was within my local area and one was from one Hawaiin Island to another- The third was from Ontario to Arizonza- I was pretty pleased with myself that I got these coins to travel. After several months I notice they have not moved on,-It seems that people collect these coins. Is it not the purpose of these coins to travel rather than sit in someones drawer and eventually get pitched out. I don't think i will do any more coins if it is just for someone else's ego to accumulate "the most Coins"

I'm fairly new at collecting geocoins but i see this question asked a good bit. I think most collectors buy their own coins to collect. I'm sure their are thieves who take and keep activated coins from caches but the majority of collectors purchase their own coins for their own collection.

I was under the impression coins are made to be moved, travel bugs the same but they are typically attached to something.

I've recently gotten my first geocoin from the Berkshire Geobash and am looking forward to setting it on it's travels, but I want to be sure I'm doing them right.

I've also been caching less than a year and am new to the bugs & coins.

Nearly* every geocoin that you find in a cache has been released by its owner to travel, so that others can enjoy finding it and moving it on to another cache. Sadly, not every cacher does this - it seems some have "sticky fingers".

Some geocachers collect geocoins and keep them in a collection at home, sometimes taking their collection to events for others to enjoy. Many people on this forum have geocoin collections - but they buy their coins, or trade for them with other geocoin collectors. Only scum steal them from caches.

You've been doing the right thing by moving the geocoins along as best you can - Thank you :)

MrsB

*Very, very, very occasionally you may find an unactivated geocoin in a cache. These are sometimes left as a very special bit of swag for a lucky finder. Some cachers put them into brand new caches as a 'First to find' prize.

Coins are very cool.....

If they're in a cache and you find one - It's supposed to travel similar to any Travel Bug.

I have yet to find a traveling coin in a cache that you could take and keep. Coins are more susceptible to being taken/stolen VS other travel bugs with tags. And unfortunately, the same misfortune that happens to all TB's probably happen more frequently with the traveling coins.

Although - lets not confuse a traveling coin with a Path Tag. A Path Tag is a small coin (1" in diameter approx) and they are meant to collect, trade, give away...etc. Technically, they don't travel from cache to cache because they don't get logged on geocaching.com. They're not a traveling coin.

I found a path tag in a cache the other day and the path tag actually said "You can keep me" on it. So I took it home and added it to my little collection.

Personally i don't think coin thieves would even bother logging a retrieve. So they either haven't been to a quality cache to drop it yet, or someone who tried caching for a week and didn't stick with it. Sounds like they made the attempt to do it right.

I would think most thieves don't mention the coin in inventory at all, or claim it wasn't there in the log.

Ive had a tb go missing and every now and then I'll check the profile of the user who picked it up to see if they are actively caching, and what size caches they're logging. Unfortunately the person who grabbed mine has 2 finds and hasn't went caching since the day he took it.

I have been lucky enough to find 2 coins and 1 dogtag style travel tag. I haven't been doing this for 2 months yet. I still feel like a fish out of water caching by myself and trying to figure it all out. I spent a lot of time in the help section on geocaching.com

I have released 1 of the coins in a new state it had not been in yet which meant I held on to it for several weeks before my vacation. I still have the other and I am waiting to travel to the southern border of my state next month to release it. It might get taken over the state line which gives it a new state also. The tag I found said it was a trade only tag so luckily I just had 2 tags made and left 1 of mine in exchange. I have had a good time doing this. I love being outdoors.

I just purchased several path tags to start my collection. 1 is a duplicate so I may start my own cache and leave it as a f2f.

Happy hunting

I have been lucky enough to find 2 coins and 1 dogtag style travel tag. I haven't been doing this for 2 months yet. I still feel like a fish out of water caching by myself and trying to figure it all out. I spent a lot of time in the help section on geocaching.com

I have released 1 of the coins in a new state it had not been in yet which meant I held on to it for several weeks before my vacation. I still have the other and I am waiting to travel to the southern border of my state next month to release it. It might get taken over the state line which gives it a new state also. The tag I found said it was a trade only tag so luckily I just had 2 tags made and left 1 of mine in exchange. I have had a good time doing this. I love being outdoors.

I just purchased several path tags to start my collection. 1 is a duplicate so I may start my own cache and leave it as a f2f.

Happy hunting

As a general rule, trackables are not 'trade' items. A one-for-one or like-kind exchange cannot be made a requirment. If you can further the mission of a trackable you should be free to aid in the mission or even simply choose to take that trackable on to a future cache you visit. Travel Bug and/or geocoin 'jails' are not permitted on geocaching.com caches. You cannot be "required" to leave one in order to take one.

It is, however, good etiquette to replace a trackable in a cache whenever possible. Some caches are better suited (due to size or location) to trackables, but 'exchanges only' are not a mandatory request.