Adopted a cache.......but a bit of advise please.

ayrbrain

I adopted a couple of caches recently as the cacher is no longer able to geocache. My question is, i notice a maintance cross against one of these caches. We plan to go out and check on it this weekend ( i see it has been found in the last week or so) once we check on it and make sure it is okay, can I delete the maintanance symbol next to it?

Many thanks for any help.

Advice vs. advise

Advice is a noun meaning information about what could or should be done. Advise is only a verb. It means to give advice. The distinction applies in all varieties of English. The words are never interchangeable.

Examples

The words are often mixed up—for example:

I was adviced strictly not to travel in the Tube train after dusk. [Daily Mirror]

Officers from the sexual offence unit and drug unit also gave advise on crime prevention. [Fiji Times]

And these writers use advice and advise well:

Tour operators advise taking Canadian dollars, yet I am consistently receiving reports that would fly in the face of those recommendations. [Winnipeg Free Press]

The Australian Prudential Regulation Authority has offered a very sobering piece of advice on how regulators should go about preventing any future financial crises. [sydney Morning Herald]

I am sure a lot of people who are far removed from the classroom will try to advise Emanuel on improving classrooms. [Chicago Tribune]

Officials say the advice has been reviewed and reissued because of increasing violence in the country. [bBC News]

When you've done the maintenance do an 'Owner's Maintenance' log for the cache - This will automatically remove the NM cross icon from the cache page.

MrsB :)

Thank you very much.

This is the correct way to do it, especially if you actually visit the cache to check on it.

It is also possible for the owner to edit the attributes for the listing and remove the attribute without posting a log of any kind. This is helpful when someone else does the actual maintenance for you and you don't want to say you went there when you didn't.

Advice vs. advise

Advice is a noun meaning information about what could or should be done. Advise is only a verb. It means to give advice. The distinction applies in all varieties of English. The words are never interchangeable.

Groundspeak has SPELLING & GRAMMMER police now?

Really?? (rolling eyes)

I adopted a couple of caches recently as the cacher is no longer able to geocache. My question is, i notice a maintance cross against one of these caches. We plan to go out and check on it this weekend ( i see it has been found in the last week or so) once we check on it and make sure it is okay, can I delete the maintanance symbol next to it?

I was also very happy to recently adopt two nice local caches. Assuming you have caches of your own, treat this one no differently. BTW, your newly adopted caches should now appear on your home map page as "star" icons.

Advice vs. advise

Examples

The words are often mixed up—for example:

I was adviced strictly not to travel in the Tube train after dusk. [Daily Mirror]

Officers from the sexual offence unit and drug unit also gave advise on crime prevention. [Fiji Times]

And these writers use advice and advise well:

Tour operators advise taking Canadian dollars, yet I am consistently receiving reports that would fly in the face of those recommendations. [Winnipeg Free Press]

The Australian Prudential Regulation Authority has offered a very sobering piece of advice on how regulators should go about preventing any future financial crises. [sydney Morning Herald]

I am sure a lot of people who are far removed from the classroom will try to advise Emanuel on improving classrooms. [Chicago Tribune]

Officials say the advice has been reviewed and reissued because of increasing violence in the country. [bBC News]

It was a slip of the typing finger!

Advice vs. advise

Groundspeak has SPELLING & GRAMMMER police now?

Really?? (rolling eyes)

It's okay......... I have slapped myself on the wrists . I was rushing out the door and decided to ask my question first, hence the spelling etc.

When you've done the maintenance do an 'Owner's Maintenance' log for the cache - This will automatically remove the NM cross icon from the cache page.

MrsB :)

Thank you very much.

This is the correct way to do it, especially if you actually visit the cache to check on it.

It is also possible for the owner to edit the attributes for the listing and remove the attribute without posting a log of any kind. This is helpful when someone else does the actual maintenance for you and you don't want to say you went there when you didn't.

Thank you for the help.

I was also very happy to recently adopt two nice local caches. Assuming you have caches of your own, treat this one no differently. BTW, your newly adopted caches should now appear on your home map page as "star" icons.

Yes they do. I have kept the previous cache owners name up. And put adopted by me at the side.

Many thanks.

I wonder if the OP was inferring anything about the previous owners in his statement.

Bait set let's see if the grammar police take it.

I hear sirens in the distance! Anyway, thanks, OP, for the question and everyone else for the answers. I've learned quite a lot by reading these forums!

Personally, I'd prefer the CO log an OM to explain why the flag's being cleared even when -- perhaps especially when -- the reason isn't because the CO has personally inspected the cache. I'm not sure where this idea came from that owner maintenance can only be logged if there's been a physical visit to the cache by the CO.

Personally, I'd prefer the CO log an OM to explain why the flag's being cleared even when -- perhaps especially when -- the reason isn't because the CO has personally inspected the cache. I'm not sure where this idea came from that owner maintenance can only be logged if there's been a physical visit to the cache by the CO.

The flag was cleared, the cache is 'good to go', and that is all you as a seeker needs to know. :P

The idea came from me in this instance...I'm not sure if anyone else rolls that way, but I do.

How could it possibly matter HOW or WHY the NM attribute got cleared, as long as the cache no longer needs maintenance?

Perhaps reading a few logs could give the answer.

I do realize there may be owners who would 'abuse' the ability, but I have seen plenty of cases where an owner posts an 'Owner Maintenance' when all they say is that they INTEND to do maintenance. :(

The idea came from me in this instance...I'm not sure if anyone else rolls that way, but I do.

Yep, I roll that way too. I'm of the opinion that if I haven't actually performed any maintenance, it doesn't make any sense to post an "owner maintenance" log. I've manually cleared the NM attribute several times in the past, mostly on adopted caches.

Answering the OP, the "maintenance needed" attribute can be cleared both by posting an "Owner maintenance" log, and by editing the attributes and unticking it.

Personally, I edit out the attribute in these situations:

- if I relocated the cache, and posted an "Update coordinates" log. I see no reason to also post an "Owner maintenance" log.

- if I enabled a previously disabled cache. Same as above, I see no reason to clutter up the page with an "Owner maintenance" log.