destroyed?

DukeOfURL01

Do you consider this one destroyed? I was thinking about it because the concrete post (the disc is on top but not visible in this picture, but I have others if want them) is obviously not in the same horizontal position as when it was placed there, probably due to land sliding (the place is right next to a large agricultural canal that raises and lowers frequently)

KT0213-1.jpg

foxtrot is correct. If the station is an old triangulation station with an underground mark then it's horizontal position is preserved and therefore not destroyed. If's it's strictly a bench mark (vertical control only) then this mark is definitely destroyed.

Do you consider this one destroyed? I was thinking about it because the concrete post (the disc is on top but not visible in this picture, but I have others if want them) is obviously not in the same horizontal position as when it was placed there, probably due to land sliding (the place is right next to a large agricultural canal that raises and lowers frequently)

KT0213-1.jpg

Your find is in better condition than 1 of our finds today.

The concrete post of our find is definitely in good condition, except that it is clear out of the ground.

Anyone want a souvenir, just e-mail Deb for permission to retrieve the disk and we will be glad to show you where it is located!

GP0054 - P 49

Here is a good picture of it.

41f9307a-fcdd-4137-875e-2716aa00093b.jpg

A good day benchmarking 3 finds (with the last logs being N/F), 1 destroyed, 1 N/F, all of them set in 1934.

John

KT0213-1.jpg

Your find is in better condition than 1 of our finds today.

The concrete post of our find is definitely in good condition, except that it is clear out of the ground.

Anyone want a souvenir, just e-mail Deb for permission to retrieve the disk and we will be glad to show you where it is located!

GP0054 - P 49

Here is a good picture of it.

41f9307a-fcdd-4137-875e-2716aa00093b.jpg

A good day benchmarking 3 finds (with the last logs being N/F), 1 destroyed, 1 N/F, all of them set in 1934.

John

I have too may as it is, but thanks for the offer. ;)

IMHO, if it has no underground mark (doesn't look like it would) then I would report it destroyed. However, if it has an underground mark, then I'd go for 'poor'. :)

If there is no underground marker then I would log this as "poor condition" because the disk is still there. Destroyed, to me, means that the marker and its host have been removed.

I would still log this as "poor condition".

I suppose from a geocaching point of view the disk is still there to be found.

For NGS or other surveyors' purposes it is more important is to describe what is there than to worry about classification. But when you do classify it, what is important is not the quality of the marker itself, but the quality of the position in space it is to mark. If the post has fallen over, the position is DESTROYED for all surveying purposes. (Again unless the horizontal position is still marked by an underground disk.)

Edited by Bill93

The only one I've had marked as destroyed by the NGS was KG0654. I submitted photos along with a recovery report describing the condition of the mark and they reported it as destroyed.

9c2d736d-0ed6-42db-8450-a987d03799dc.jpg

Huh, and that looks like a triangulation station, too. Per Dave's comment after mine, it shoulda been poor. (Unless..

Edit: Nevermind, I just read the datasheet, and apparently it had no underground mark. So, that answers that..

Huh, and that looks like a triangulation station, too. Per Dave's comment after mine, it shoulda been poor. (Unless..

Edit: Nevermind, I just read the datasheet, and apparently it had no underground mark. So, that answers that..

Don't forget: they've got three categories of destroyed, X being surface mark only, Y being both surface and underground, and Z meaning presumed destroyed.