keeping track

DukeOfURL01

So it finally happened. When I was out caching recently, I saw 3 benchmarks along this old road that I was on. It turns out that I had found this one about 3 years ago and even logged it, but just forgotten. That led me to thinking, since there's no real way to mark them as found, how do other people keep track of what they've done and not done?

----- how do other people keep track of what they've done and not done?

Duke,

If you are using DSWorld and have your bench mark activity in some kind of a spreadsheet column, it is real easy to build a Google Earth map pinned file. Then when you DSWorld a State/County you will see a double map pin - quadruple if it happens to have both Lat/Long & elevation adjusted.

kayakbird

We use GSAK and have each of the counties in their own database and as we find the marks we move them to an "all recoveries" database. It includes all the marks that were destroyed, found, and the 'not found' that we finally give up on.

This allows us to keep our GPSr (and laptop mapping program) updated by county with each file stored on the SD card in the GPSr. This helps with the impromptu hunting, since each county is on the GPSr card and can be loaded into active memory on a moments notice.

John

I use GSAK too, but those out-of-state BMs are not in my 'regular' database, so anything I have found outside of Arizona could be loaded again (and hunted again) if I'm not careful. :o

So far this hasn't been an issue, but it could be.

I have already (just this minute) figured out how to handle this, I just need to remember to do it when I'm out-of -state next time. B)

Hmm, yeah I have mine in GSAK also, but curiously enough never really used it for benchmarking, in the same way that I do geocaching.

I wish there were a more visual (map) way. I suppose I could export them all to Google Earth, but that just isn't as elegant.

I suppose I'll have to experiment with techniques.

Hmm, yeah I have mine in GSAK also, but curiously enough never really used it for benchmarking, in the same way that I do geocaching.

I wish there were a more visual (map) way. I suppose I could export them all to Google Earth, but that just isn't as elegant.

I suppose I'll have to experiment with techniques.

I export the GSAK database to Topo 9 (we have a DeLorme GPSr). This screenshot show part of Kane County, UT. The smilies are those that are in the all recoveries database and the benchmark disks are those that have not been found. We can zoom the map in on a particular mark as needed.

86c49d0e-256e-40d2-b239-00ca5f20cca8.jpg?rnd=0.3969189

Seems the quality of the screenshot went down when I uploaded it to GC, but it still give a good idea of what we use when we are out benchmarking.

John

I keep all of our finds and did-not-finds in an Excel spreadsheet. They are listed chronologically and have columns for all of the data that I find important (date found, date monumented, monumenting agency, etc., etc.). There are about 20 columns total. I also have a column with a clickable hyperlink to the NGS datasheet and one with a clickable hyperlink to the Geocaching website page.

I also color code cells to identify DNFs and Found-But-Not-Yet-Logged and Destroyed, etc.

This works out very well. The file is portable and I can use it on any computer that I have with me. It is also easily shareable - and sortable.

In retrospect, a GSAK database would also have been a good way to go, but I am happy with the spreadsheet.

Edited by TillaMurphs

If you have an android phone and Gmail account you can upload your finds to Google maps on your My Maps account (using your PC). Then when you open the Maps app on your phone you can turn on the My Maps layer, select the file you want to open and your finds will appear on your phone. Great for those impromptu hunts.

I recently found an application for smart phones called FindAControl. I used it extensively while on vacation since I was in several different states and areas. It has it's faults but for the most part I found it useful while traveling without downloading information beforehand. It also links to NGS datasheets. If interested here's the link: http://www.critigen.com/solutions/find-control.

I recently found an application for smart phones called FindAControl. I used it extensively while on vacation since I was in several different states and areas. It has it's faults but for the most part I found it useful while traveling without downloading information beforehand. It also links to NGS datasheets. If interested here's the link: http://www.critigen....ns/find-control.

Wow, that App is spectacular, but similar in features to ScaredyCat's page. I think I may like this better though. Now for some field testing...