Make a specific PQ

Spanner15

Hi!

I'm going on holiday to Hayle,cornwall,uk and I want alllll the caches I can get. So ones from Hayle, St Ives, Falmouth, Lands End, Minnack, Truro, St Agnes etc... I tried to do a PQ from the map on geocaching.com, I used Hayle as my centre and I thought it had all the caches I wanted when I looked through the list, but when viewing on the map, it seems to have missed the Lands End and points ones?

Help please, I only have a day to sort this out O.o

Thanks.

I'll confess that I'm not familiar with the geography, so here's one quickest-fastest solution. Create a second PQ, similar to the first, but using a coordinate pair from Lands End as the centre point. You will most likely get overlap between the PQs (caches in both), but your GPS should be able to filter those out, even easier to filter replicates if you're using GSAK, EasyGPS, etc. Also, don't set a date for the PQs to run as you're fiddling with them until you're satisfied that they look "right"; this way you can change the PQ settings without using your once-per-day run. Finally, if your PQs are showing less than 1000 caches each, you should be getting all that are available. If over 1000, you may also wish to split a PQ by "Date Placed" or shorten your search radius. Hope this helps.

Sounds like a great place for a holiday, have fun!

I'll confess that I'm not familiar with the geography, so here's one quickest-fastest solution. Create a second PQ, similar to the first, but using a coordinate pair from Lands End as the centre point. You will most likely get overlap between the PQs (caches in both), but your GPS should be able to filter those out, even easier to filter replicates if you're using GSAK, EasyGPS, etc. Also, don't set a date for the PQs to run as you're fiddling with them until you're satisfied that they look "right"; this way you can change the PQ settings without using your once-per-day run. Finally, if your PQs are showing less than 1000 caches each, you should be getting all that are available. If over 1000, you may also wish to split a PQ by "Date Placed" or shorten your search radius. Hope this helps.

Sounds like a great place for a holiday, have fun!

Thanks so much! I'll try again tomorrow! :-)

I don't believe you've mentioned which type of GPS you have or will be using. Since you mentioned Basecamp, do you have a newer, paperless model Garmin?

EDIT: OK, I had to go back and double-check. Your PQs probably came as .ZIP files, open each .ZIP to find 2 .GPX files. Open the .GPX files in Basecamp (in the "My Collection" tab at upper left) to filter the duplicate caches. Once you have all 4 PQs loaded into the My Collection are of Basecamp, things get easier as the caches will stay there until you specifically remove them. To select caches, you may click the list on the left of the screen, or use the Select Tool (an arrow) and drag a box around the caches you wish to hunt on any given day. From here, you may either 1)highlight the caches of interest and move them to your Garmin which should show as an external drive in Basecamp (or whatever they're called in Mac) or 2)Highlight the caches and File>Export>Export Selection to save as a "MyHoliday.GPX" and load that .GPX to your GPS. A reminder to keep track of how many caches there are and your GPS's waypoint limit.

Hope this helps!

Edited by JBnW

I don't believe you've mentioned which type of GPS you have or will be using. Since you mentioned Basecamp, do you have a newer, paperless model Garmin?

EDIT: OK, I had to go back and double-check. Your PQs probably came as .ZIP files, open each .ZIP to find 2 .GPX files. Open the .GPX files in Basecamp (in the "My Collection" tab at upper left) to filter the duplicate caches. Once you have all 4 PQs loaded into the My Collection are of Basecamp, things get easier as the caches will stay there until you specifically remove them. To select caches, you may click the list on the left of the screen, or use the Select Tool (an arrow) and drag a box around the caches you wish to hunt on any given day. From here, you may either 1)highlight the caches of interest and move them to your Garmin which should show as an external drive in Basecamp (or whatever they're called in Mac) or 2)Highlight the caches and File>Export>Export Selection to save as a "MyHoliday.GPX" and load that .GPX to your GPS. A reminder to keep track of how many caches there are and your GPS's waypoint limit.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! helps a lot! :lol: