Entering manual cords

DRJDSmith

I have an Oregon 550t and I have selected the geocaching dashboard to search for caches. It gives me the compass with the heading, the distance remaining to GZ and draws a line from my location straight to the cache site. However, when ever I manually enter coordinates it draws the line to the cache but displays the closest geocache information, such as compass heading and remaining distance, not the information for the maually-entered coordinates. I have tried changing the dashboard to give me the correct compass heading and distance for the manual-entered coordinates but nothing seems to work. What does everyone else do when you have to enter cords maually?

It sounds like your GPS still thinks you want to navigate to the original cache, rather than your manually entered coordinates. You must first stop navigating to the original cache, then select the new coords. That's what it sounds like anyway.

It sounds like your GPS still thinks you want to navigate to the original cache, rather than your manually entered coordinates. You must first stop navigating to the original cache, then select the new coords. That's what it sounds like anyway.

Thank you both for your replies. To JBnW: Your thought is partially correct. Let me give you an example. Say you solve a puzzle and then get the coordinates to the cache. I select "Where to" on my GPS and manually enter in the cords as a waypoint. I then select "Go" and it draws the line direct to the cache. However, the compass heading and distance remaining refers to the next closest traditional cache. There's no navigation to stop because I haven't selected a cache. The GPS automatically thinks I'm heading to the closest cache, even though the line on the map shows the correct path to the manually-entered cords. I hope I'm explaining this well enough. I was wondering what others did when entering and following manually-entered cords.

However, the compass heading and distance remaining refers to the next closest traditional cache.

It's for this very reason that I don't use the Geocaching dashboard. Instead, I use 4 data fields, which I set to:

-Distance to next

-Pointer (an arrow that points in the direction of the waypoint/cache you're currently navigating to)

-Time of day

-GPS accuracy

You could also get away with using just 2 data fields and set them to "distance to next" and "pointer". This way you have a representation of how far you still have to go, and in which direction. None of that automatic "I think you want to navigate to this location" to worry about. Of course, the data fields can be set to a wide variety of parameters, so you might find you prefer others than I do, but I think you'll find you like data fields better than the dashboard.

However, the compass heading and distance remaining refers to the next closest traditional cache.

It's for this very reason that I don't use the Geocaching dashboard. Instead, I use 4 data fields, which I set to:

-Distance to next

-Pointer (an arrow that points in the direction of the waypoint/cache you're currently navigating to)

-Time of day

-GPS accuracy

You could also get away with using just 2 data fields and set them to "distance to next" and "pointer". This way you have a representation of how far you still have to go, and in which direction. None of that automatic "I think you want to navigate to this location" to worry about. Of course, the data fields can be set to a wide variety of parameters, so you might find you prefer others than I do, but I think you'll find you like data fields better than the dashboard.

Thanks, A-Team. I've seen that option on my GPS but never used it. I might give it a try and see if I like it.