Best Swag Swap Item?

_Pebcak_

I was reading a few topics about what do if you came across a cache that was filled with trash, and whether or not it was okay to clean out the garbage, so to speak. But that got me thinking...What's the coolest thing you've ever gotten out of a cache? Do you still have it, or have you replaced it somewhere else?

I've only been caching a short time, but I do clean out the caches and replace it. I never expect to find anything of real value, but I also don't enjoy finding junk in the caches. On several occasions I've found a single playing card or puzzle piece, and I thought "come on. All you have to do is go to the dollar store and spend a couple of dollars." I've also found broken toys. In one cache I found a torso of a small action figure. No arms or legs, just a head and torso. I threw it away. I've never really found anything special. I guess I just try to use items that won't hurt if they get wet, and are pretty durable. They may not be fancy, but they will last.

Edited by kpuck91

What's the coolest thing you've ever gotten out of a cache? Do you still have it, or have you replaced it somewhere else?

I've found quite a few cool trinkets. I have most of the items. I keep most of them on a shelf at work as conversation pieces. I'm mostly keen on the handmade stuff. Did a google search and here are a few swag items I think are cool and would love to find in a cache:

$%28KGrHqF,%21pcE-w%21hEE0tBQ%21Ih2qdK%21%7E%7E60_35.JPG486573_259790180793487_1569720823_n.jpgtumblr_lkqm44Bcoe1qfzrkno1_500.jpg

For more swag ideas see this Geoswag article:

http://www.geocachin...geocaching-swag

Probably the coolest thing I've found was a beaded snake keychain that's about 9" long. I rescued it from a terrible container that was a water hazard. The keychain was mildewed and took several cleanings to get the smell out. I didn't trade up for it so I'm going to be passing it along to another cache that has a proper container.

Other than that my favorite item to find is foreign currency.

Edited by JK_81

Other than that my favorite item to find is foreign currency.

I am glad to read that someone likes foreign currency! To keep my dads memory and adventuresome spirit alive, I take a coin leftover from his many years of world travel with me and drop it in the cac he I am visiting.

Edited by Germerican7612

I've only been caching a short time, but I do clean out the caches and replace it. I never expect to find anything of real value, but I also don't enjoy finding junk in the caches. On several occasions I've found a single playing card or puzzle piece, and I thought "come on. All you have to do is go to the dollar store and spend a couple of dollars." I've also found broken toys. In one cache I found a torso of a small action figure. No arms or legs, just a head and torso. I threw it away. I've never really found anything special. I guess I just try to use items that won't hurt if they get wet, and are pretty durable. They may not be fancy, but they will last.

LOL I had a good laugh reading your entry! Thanks lol (the action figure without limbs made it for me hahaha)

I have a few favourites, one is a simple small badge saying "Everyone is entitled to my opinion" another is a round dice also a Union Jack pin badge which has special meaning as it reminds me of my 23 year old niece who died in a car accident the evening of Kate & Williams wedding (she had her nails painted with Union Jacks at the time) My most useful item is a short shoe horn which I keep in the car to get my walking boots on with!

I also have not been doing this very long and haven't really found anything interesting. However, I live in New Westminster BC and I called city hall. They sent me a dozen New Westminster pins which I have been putting in caches around town. Remember the ceramic figurines from Red Rose tea? I have been using those too.

For me the best swag is the swag that in some way speaks of the person that left it. Something from another country like a coin, cultural item or pin. Or a signature item that fits nicely in theme with the person that left it. Because of this pathtags and wooden nickels are what it like most because they were designed as a signature item and is more telling than, say, a random $1 bin toy.

I have designed my own pathtag; but sadly I'm waiting to be able to afford to have it made.

I grab the little Lego toys in a bag (small car, plane, person), that you find at toy stores, also the $.99 first aid kits, marbles, little glass items (hearts, clovers, moon). All these seem to survive well in the wet Washington climate if they aren't discovered for a few week/months. And hopefully make the kids go ohhh and ahhhh.

Myself I like finding the custom coins, and seeing everyone's personal calling card they may leave, some are very creative. Hoping to find a travel bug and take it on a trip I have in the future. Seems like tracking one you moved would be exciting.

Edited by Valkiera