Cache suggestions

BaxterBoo

While I am sure some naysayers will be along shortly to scoff at the idea, a ziplock baggie is technically a container. Not a great container, but in a fairly protected area it could work. I've seen plenty of them where only a narrow crevice was available,...and I've seen worse containers too...

Well then why not hide a nano that happens to be about 1CM wide? Now if you wanted to get creative-or evil-you could attach it on one end to something that looks like some mortar/clay/whatever that stuff between bricks is called. Anyway do that so it just fits in the hole.

Around here, people use small ziplock baggies covered with duct tape for such a situation.

That's horrible. I'm willing to bet that Arizona is one of the few places anywhere that a cache like that could survive any sort of climate. Even then, duct tape gets dry and flakes off fairly quickly. Just not good I'd imagine...

Hiya, thanks for all the replies.

I did think about a zip lock and it would be kept very dry but wasn't sure if that was a good idea after reading all the posts on the forums about them. Love the mortar idea and actually have some of that already. I've been racking my brains to come up with something different that I can make at home without buying it.

Thanks again x

I'm sitting here looking at my CD's and the cases they're in..... but that plastic might crack easily.

Or if you can find a plastic case that some of your computer software CD's came in....wrap that with duct tape (might give it structural integrity)...

Other than that, you might be better off buying something custom - is it might last longer and ward off the elements better.

Here's something to consider.....a ziplock bag, while technically a "container", will be viewed as a pretty lame container. It will also probably require more frequent maintenance than a proper container. So... Is the LOCATION awesome enough to justify it? In other words:

Awesome or clever container + mundane location = cool cache

Plain container + awesome location = cool cache

Awesome or clever container + awesome location = awesome cache

Lame container + boring location = lame cache

So is the location scenic or interesting enough that people will not mind that you had to resort to a ziplock to bring them there? If so you could still have a winning cache.

I would like to hide a cache between two bricks in a wall and was wondering if you have some good suggestions for containers.

Make it a Multi, and you could slide a thick piece of plastic in there (with coords engraved on it). Then you could place a decent sized container someplace else. A Multi is kind of complicated for a first cache hide, and it may be a challenge to make the Final as fun as a brick wall. But it could produce a cache that doesn't require lots of maintenance.

I did think about a zip lock and it would be kept very dry but wasn't sure if that was a good idea after reading all the posts on the forums about them.

A ziplock among bricks will not endure. Cachers will find a crumpled mess of ziplock and paper crammed there.

However... if you will visit the cache regularly to install new ziplock bags (depending on how popular it is to cachers and non-cachers), a ziplock between two panels of acrylic might be OK. Hinged or having a slot for the bag.

I did think about a zip lock and it would be kept very dry but wasn't sure if that was a good idea after reading all the posts on the forums about them. Love the mortar idea and actually have some of that already. I've been racking my brains to come up with something different that I can make at home without buying it.

Thanks again x

How about a waterproof document case like this. They will last a lot longer than a Ziploc. I picked up a bunch on sale at REI a few months ago. aLokSak bags are similar.

The main problem problem with Ziplocs is that the "zippers" are not designed for repeated opening and closing and will fail quickly.

Edited by briansnat

Hey, wow some fab ideas there. I live right opposite the cache so maintenance would be cool. It's slap between two major landmarks of the city so I'm hoping catchers will love it. Will look into the zip lock and acrylic idea as that sounds ace. Thank you again for you're fab replies x

Thanks again x

How about a waterproof document case like this. They will last a lot longer than a Ziploc. I picked up a bunch on sale at REI a few months ago. aLokSak bags are similar.

The main problem problem with Ziplocs is that the "zippers" are not designed for repeated opening and closing and will fail quickly.

I had something similar once as a cache. I don't know if the brand matters, but mine was a fishing liscense holder. It didn't do well with prolonged exposure to a small amount of water. It might have been poorly closed, I think it was just not a very functional container.