Magellan Explorist Connecting to PC

calligal

Hi: when I connect my magellan explorist to the PC I press connect to PC, which it does and I can download caches. However, when it is connected to the PC I cannot access the menus or see the caches, I have to disconnect from the PC. Is that normal or should I be able to access the caches and so on while connected ?

thanks in advance.

Hi: when I connect my magellan explorist to the PC I press connect to PC, which it does and I can download caches. However, when it is connected to the PC I cannot access the menus or see the caches, I have to disconnect from the PC. Is that normal or should I be able to access the caches and so on while connected ?

thanks in advance.

I don't have an Explorist, but generally GPS devices can only operate in one of two modes at any one time: normal operating mode, or mass storage device (ie. connected to PC) mode. They normally can't do both at the same time, so what you're seeing is probably normal. My Garmin does the same thing.

Edited by The A-Team

thanks in advance.

I don't have an Explorist, but generally GPS devices can only operate in one of two modes at any one time: normal operating mode, or mass storage device (ie. connected to PC) mode. They normally can't do both at the same time, so what you're seeing is probably normal. My Garmin does the same thing.

That was going to be my comment as well. All my other devices work this way, so the explorist seems to be functioning the same. Most likely it's just acting as a USB drive when connected.

If you select "Power Only" instead of "Connect to PC" you can use all the functions while the Explorist draws power from the computer rather than the batteries.

...but you won't be able to download or upload caches from/to it.

Ahh, I got it, many thanks for your help.

Hi - another newbie here .... just had my first GPS device delivered - eXplorist GC.

Switched on - all good - and raring to go !

Connected to PC - shows 'Connected to PC' status.

Searched and found first cache to download, and have successfully downloaded Magellan Communicator to my PC - uninstalled and re-installed it several times - both with IE9 and FireFox 14.0.1).

But when I go to download the cache it won't download. I click the download icon and get the "Send to GPS" pop-up:

Magellan Communicator found. Having issues?

Please click here to install the latest PC version.

Please click here to install the latest MAC version.

Magellan GPS found and ready for download.

Click Download to transfer geocache information to Magellan GPS.

and

there are 2 buttons - 1 "Check Device" and 2 which says "Click Download to transfer geocache information to Magellan GPS."

When I select 2 - I get

Download has finished successfully!

so don't want to download again.

and when I select 1 I get the first response given above.

Any thoughts?

Do I need to first download third party software? On Geocaching 101 / Getting Started, I found the statement "For most GPS devices, you will need to download third-party geocaching software to read LOC or GPX files. Some devices, like the Magellan Triton and Garmin Colorado, support and read Geocaching GPX files directly.". do I need to download one of these programmes first? Any suggestions ?

I am running Window Vista and (for the first week or so) the Basic Geocaching.com Membership.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Mike

there are 2 buttons - 1 "Check Device" and 2 which says "Click Download to transfer geocache information to Magellan GPS."

When I select 2 - I get

Download has finished successfully!

Per what I've bolded, when you get that message, you should be good. The cache should be in there. In the Geocaches menu, it should come up in the list. There are probably pre-loaded caches in there, and none are probably very close to where you live.

Did you scroll down the entire list of every Geocache loaded in the GC to look for it?

Have you actually gone outside and got a sat signal on the GC? As soon as you do, it will beep, and then when you go to the Geocaches menu, the cache you're trying to download should be first on the list, assuming the pre-loaded ones are not closer.

To all three of you for fantastically prompt responses - TDM22 and Mr Yuck and unabowler.

Yes - you were right - the cache had been downloaded successfully - doh !

It was hidden in amongst the 1000 pre-loaded caches !

So - am up and running, and grateful for your help.

To all three of you for fantastically prompt responses - TDM22 and Mr Yuck and unabowler.

Yes - you were right - the cache had been downloaded successfully - doh !

It was hidden in amongst the 1000 pre-loaded caches !

So - am up and running, and grateful for your help.

Not a problem. Is it 1,000 pre-loaded caches? I don't remember it being that many. Could have been though, I definitely bulk deleted them. It holds 10,000, by the way.

I've got another tip. The GC only comes with a "quick start" owners manual. The full manual is available only online. This link will be a .pdf

Explorist Owners manual

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I also have the GC, and once I am done logging caches online I try and remember to delete them from the GPS. That way I am ready for the next time. Mine has occasionally not loaded a cache, even though I got the "downloaded successfully" message, so I make a note of the number to load and the GC# and cache name. Just my way of trying to avoid hassles and what should be a fun day!