Olympic Gold postboxes

Already put one out, and waiting for review.

Have set it up as a multi (as it gives it a "gold" cache icon) with details on the gold post box being the clue for the final location. and the cache is a small not a micro.

Have called it "Bringing home the Gold" but if a series is going to be done then adding the town name so it becomes "Bringing home the Gold: 'Town'" would be a good idea.

Edited by Ant89

If a series is going to be set up might I suggest the following template?

Bringing home the Gold : <Town>

This cache has been hidden in honor of <town's> very own gold medal winner <Winner name> at the 30th Olympiad more commonly known as the 2012 London Olympic Games.

In honor of all gold medal winners the Royal Mail are painting a post box gold in the hometowns of all the winners along with producing a comemorative stamp.

<Image of stamp>

<Winner> Won <his/her> gold in the <Sport>.

HTML

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<h1 style="text-align:center;">

<span style="font-size:36px;"><span style="color:#daa520;">Bringing home the Gold : <Town></span></span></h1>

<p style="text-align:center;">

<span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="color:#daa520;">This cache has been hidden in honor of <town's> very own gold medal winner <Winner name> at the 30th Olympiad more commonly known as the 2012 London Olympic Games.<br />

<br />

In honor of all gold medal winners the Royal Mail are painting a post box gold in the hometowns of all the winners along with producing a comemorative stamp.</span></span></p>

<font color="#daa520" size="4"><Image of stamp></font></p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="color:#daa520;"><Winner> Won <his/her> gold in the <Sport>.</span></span></p>

</p>

</body>

</html>

Are there any geocoins in production or already in the planning stages to celebrate our medal winning heroes? I'd be interested in something along those lines - If not then a TB with some of my heroes stamps inside key fobs could be on the cards!

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4
If a series is going to be set up might I suggest the following template?

It's "honour", for crying out loud. We're Brits, not Yanks.

You've also misspelt "commemorative".

:antenna: oh oh, english language police about.

Before getting all aggressive please consider that I or any other poster may suffer from learning difficulties of some sort which means we may not realize that we have made "apparent" mistakes.

However, I will take it as constructive critique as I try to look on the positive side of everything so thank you for pointing that out.

Edited by Ant89

I predict - nay, I hope for! - a nationwide cache series, based on caches hidden on/by postboxes painted Gold for Olympic gold medal winners. Akin to the Little Quest, just more selective :)

As the person who set up Little Quest I must say there's a difference here... The whole point of LQ was to showcase the best locations a county may have to offer, which is not what is normally experienced at yet another drive by micro!

My first reaction to this suggestion was "not another nationwide cache series".

However, the gold post boxes are noteworthy, limited in number, and not necessarily straightforward to find (unlike some other features I mention below, which are clearly marked on an OS map). I'd much rather be guided by a cache to a special gold post box than, for example, a host of mundane railway stations, phone boxes (RIP!), supermarket car-parks, and motorway service stations. (I don't dare mention micros at many common-or-garden churches in my list, as I fear I will alienate too many folk!)

So yes, as a visitor to an area, I would like to be led to a gold post box (just as long as we don't get as many gold medals as China :) ).

My first reaction to this suggestion was "not another nationwide cache series".

However, the gold post boxes are noteworthy, limited in number, and not necessarily straightforward to find (unlike some other features I mention below, which are clearly marked on an OS map). I'd much rather be guided by a cache to a special gold post box than, for example, a host of mundane railway stations, phone boxes (RIP!), supermarket car-parks, and motorway service stations. (I don't dare mention micros at many common-or-garden churches in my list, as I fear I will alienate too many folk!)

So yes, as a visitor to an area, I would like to be led to a gold post box (just as long as we don't get as many gold medals as China :) ).

I'm not a huge fan of cache 'n' dashes either; for me it's about discovering new places and having a great walk with hills to climb and a good view at the top. But they're still caches; and give those with a disability a chance to find caches; and they can be convenient if you're just passing by and want (or need for a milestone) to find a cache. I do too agree that this idea would be better than the norm as they're harder to locate, rare and only here for a limited amount of time - these caches could compliment this.

Now we just need the limited edition gold nanos to stick on the gold postboxes.

Great idea! Or just spray paint normal nanos?

The whole point of LQ was to showcase the best locations a county may have to offer,

Really?

Then might I respectfully request that you check on a few of the locations..... :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: Haven't found a LQ cache yet; so I can't say anything :anicute:

Edited by Griff Grof

Personally I think its a great idea although, as others have said, hopefully some additional thought could be put into the actual cache presentation. A multi-cache option has already been mentioned but another idea would be that a 'puzzle' cache could be used where information could be used regarding the particular athlete/discipline to which the chosen Post Box relates to which could add a further dimension to the relevance of the cache. This would also allow it to be offset from the exact location to allow larger/different cache containers to be used.

I remember the Royal Mail demanding Victoria's Mail Box (Locationless Cache) be archived due to it being a threat to security? So perhaps caches of this nature would require permission from the Royal Mail? Especially given the fact the above named cache didn't have a physical cache at any of their boxes!!

I'd love to know how it might be "useful to terrorists" to know where old postboxes are.

I remember the Royal Mail demanding Victoria's Mail Box (Locationless Cache) be archived due to it being a threat to security? So perhaps caches of this nature would require permission from the Royal Mail? Especially given the fact the above named cache didn't have a physical cache at any of their boxes!!

I'd love to know how it might be "useful to terrorists" to know where old postboxes are.

Different type of security, I believe it was about publicising the whereabouts of antique post boxes which are targets for thieves. In which case the gold postboxes shouldn't fall foul of that as they're painting modern ones.

Why does everything have to be a series?

Why not leave it up to local Cachers to place caches in notable churches/train stations/supermarket car parks/motorway services/public conveniences/bus stops/dog poo bins in whatever format they prefer. Does every other cache really have to be part of a national series? Is it necessary?

Philip

Different type of security, I believe it was about publicising the whereabouts of antique post boxes which are targets for thieves. In which case the gold postboxes shouldn't fall foul of that as they're painting modern ones.

One of the last logs on the cache said:

Having been contacted by post office security management. I have archived this cache as I have been informed that it could give information to would be terrorists.

PLEASE NO MORE LOGS

Having been contacted by post office security management. I have archived this cache as I have been informed that it could give information to would be terrorists.

PLEASE NO MORE LOGS

Ah. more FUD then, I must admit I didn't read that cache page, but a reviewer recently said (on FriendFace) that it was all about Victorian postboxes being targeted by the crims.

PLEASE NO MORE LOGS

Which is where I took my quote from. So if you require further confirmation, probably best to get in touch with Royal Mail rather than ask on here? You never know, you might do us a favour and stop another pointless series from being made. :rolleyes:

I like the idea, but the two in Edinburgh (for Sir Chris Hoy) are naturally enough in prominent places close to other caches.

Still, for anyone in a less densely-populated caching area, you might like to have a look at the Royal Mail's Gold Post Box map: http://www.goldpostboxes.com/

Just bear in mind that if you're trying to plant anything near them, they're already going to be drawing lots of muggle attention too...

B)

My currently published offering (not a nano or a micro and it is gold)http://coord.info/GC37K3C

Oh no the Gold belongs to Eckington, who managed to clock a staggering and unbelievably fast

One Second :yikes:

I kid you not, that is not a joke, but really happened

Deci

I've yet to come close to that in over 6 years :laughing:

do you want me to email you with the details for my next hide so you can check it over prior to me pressing submit? that way you can be waiting with your finger on the button :laughing:

Edited by Ant89

PLEASE NO MORE LOGS

Which is where I took my quote from. So if you require further confirmation, probably best to get in touch with Royal Mail rather than ask on here? You never know, you might do us a favour and stop another pointless series from being made. :rolleyes:

Possibly, although usually once a monolithic organisation has said "for security reasons" that's the end of it.

That said my bank once told me they couldn't tell me what exchange rate they were currently offering "for security reasons". When I laughed at them and asked how I could decide whether or not to do business with them if they wouldn't give me a price they decided that telling me how many dollars there were to a pound wasn't going to facilitate any untoward activity and relented.

On the Monday after the closing ceremony, after a fortnight of Games Maker duties, but not actually seeing any sports action, I was rostered to work in Bedford for one of my paid jobs. So, naturally, I checked to see if there was a gold post box in town, vaguely remembering the connection of the town with Etienne Stott, double canoe slalomist. It's in St Paul's Square, near the riverside. On leaving, I noticed a signpost in the churchyard of St Paul's, a church which had been refered to as "somewhere in England" and used for broadcasting daily services to personnel in mainland Europe during WW2. So, on checking the area, I was surprised that the connection hadn't already given rise to a cache.

So, I hope that the area does get a cache to celebrate both 20th history and recent Olympic canoeing success.